PDA

View Full Version : What's the best exhaust for a 400ex??

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 12:46 PM
idk if I shood git the Cobra, the DG Krome Sereis, the Big Gun, the DMC, the Wite Brothars, or if I shood just make mine own out of a 5lb. Folgers can. pls hlp. omg. wtf. fml. roflmgdao.

:devil: :macho :muscle: :cuss: :bandit:

Sorry. I'm really bored, and it's been waaaaaaaaaay too long since I've seen the ubiquitous "best exhaust for a 400ex" thread. In fact, I can't believe there isn't one in the "most popular 400ex threads" thread. wtf. seriously.

Punkmaster Flex
10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
HMF best bang for the bucks.

Curtis if you got the money and your like to be heard 4km around.

matt14c
10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I heard the maxwell house can was lighter and provided better gains on the bottom end. Other than that I would go with Cobra hands down :devil:

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
I heard the maxwell house can was lighter and provided better gains on the bottom end. Other than that I would go with Cobra hands down :devil:
cn't affrd Maxwel Hose :(

matt14c
10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
cn't affrd Maxwel Hose :(

Check ebay, craigslist or your local junk yard/recycle center! :D

Its getting to be that time for alot of part outs maybe you can find a good used one.

If your really short on money the best bang for your buck is to take your stock muffler pull the tip out and then get a FMF label to put on it. HUGE HP gains throughout the powerband.

sterss361
10-01-2009, 06:39 PM
yoshimura is the best you can get!!!

matt14c
10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by sterss361

For a Suzuki maybe an EX NO

Punkmaster Flex
10-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Le monde est petit. :P

matt14c
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Why is the world small? :huh

TRXRacer1
10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Anybody else amused with what's happening to this thread?

BTW, I find a 3 chamber flowmaster is the best.

honda01400ex
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
NO on the cobra worst pipe ever make ur ex back fire like crazy i had pipe worst decision EVER!!

curtis is the best i have a fmf titanuim 4 slip on and i love it soooo much :)

honda01400ex
10-01-2009, 07:36 PM
NO on the cobra worst pipe ever make ur ex back fire like crazy i had pipe worst decision EVER!!

curtis is the best i have a fmf titanuim 4 slip on and i love it soooo much :)

odog
10-01-2009, 07:39 PM
from every test and shoot out ive seen curtis is the best i will be purchasing one early next year

tri5ron
10-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Folgers will give you better top end, but Maxwell House has 5783 more ft. lbs. of torque.

Do fish get thirsty ?????

Pipeless416
10-02-2009, 12:31 AM
whats a better card to put in my spokes.. aces or kings?

ngates788
10-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
whats a better card to put in my spokes.. aces or kings?

neither...you want 3's. they increase air flow maximization 7x better than aces or kings. this dramatically changes the down force improving tire traction.

powermadd400ex
10-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1

ahah yep XD

btw, i found that running no pipe increases airflow by 200%

dalejiw25
10-02-2009, 03:32 AM
22 oz. Bud light can and a Duncan racing sticker. Can't be beat....

F-16Guy
10-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1

Amused. And shocked, to be quite honest. Good stuff.:blah: :D

bergoff
10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
nothing is better than open header and some cold beers.

MtnEX
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Punkmaster Flex
HMF best bang for the bucks.

Curtis if you got the money and your like to be heard 4km around.

For a Suzuki maybe an EX NO

Originally posted by odog
from every test and shoot out ive seen curtis is the best i will be purchasing one early next year

Check all the shootouts again... lol...

Exhaust is a total waste of money on a 400EX.
Total waste.

It's a very expensive pony or two... very expensive.

And truth be known, you could probably get the same results from perfect jetting. Real cheap.

I have the Yoshimura full exhaust. Sounds great and puts up the same numbers as everything else basically.
Understand there is more variation from one dyno run to the next than there is shown between exhaust systems.

In the end though... waste of money.

It might be a good thing to have down the road. Might be needed for more displacement or a ported head...

IcutMetl
10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm sure you'll get all kinds of opinions, but I'll tell you about the experiences I had with my 400; this was around 2002-2003 area.

First bought a Yoshimura RS-3 slip on. Very well made, and absolutely NO problems with fitment. Definitely required rejetting, even with airbox lid on. Seemed to increase power and response all over, but mainly from the midrange up.

Thought for whatever reason I needed to switch to an HMF; was hearing a lot of good things about them at the time, and they're built here in Ohio which drew me in...local business. Looked like a generic pipe & can; not nearly the look, fit, or finish quality of the Yoshimura. I think inferior is the word. Non-tapered connection pipe. Connection pipe would not fit onto the headpipe- had to slightly modify it. Sounded good, and definitely increased low end power. Low end power seemed better than the Yoshimura, but everywhere else it was lacking. Out of the 3 400ex's I rode with- all nearly stock except for slip on pipes, etc- mine was always the fastest- with the HMF it was consistently near the back.

Not bashing HMF even though it may seem like it; that was a while back and I'm sure they've come along well since then- still wouldn't get me to buy another. Still not quite attracted to their appearance, but that's just my opinion.

At that time, the Curtis Sparks X4/X6 were the hot ticket too, but were also very pricey and had the reputation for being LOUD. I had also contemplated a Big Gun, but I don't remember them having a quiet core out yet.

Rode with a friend who had a ProCircuit T4, and that was also a nice pipe. Another buddy had an FMF, which fell apart. One friend had a Supertrapp IDS2- I actually liked this one- it was light, but not as heavy duty as the Yoshi. White Bros. E-Series always got really high reviews at the time.

I don't think it's a waste of money at all, especially just a slip on for a mild motor. Hell, for a motor that puts down only mid 20's hp to begin with, gaining a only couple is a pretty decent step. I know it really woke mine up, especially after being jetted.

Just my $.02

Bill Martin
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Check all the shootouts again... lol...

Exhaust is a total waste of money on a 400EX.
Total waste.

It's a very expensive pony or two... very expensive.

And truth be known, you could probably get the same results from perfect jetting. Real cheap.

I have the Yoshimura full exhaust. Sounds great and puts up the same numbers as everything else basically.
Understand there is more variation from one dyno run to the next than there is shown between exhaust systems.

In the end though... waste of money.

It might be a good thing to have down the road. Might be needed for more displacement or a ported head...

Yes if thats all youre going to do, it won't help much.
You gotta remember it all add's up.

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Bill Martin
Yes if thats all youre going to do, it won't help much.
You gotta remember it all add's up.

Yeah, I'm thinking my Yoshi would be nice with a 416 or 426 kit, and would also be plenty for a 440 kit as well.

Punkmaster Flex
10-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Well to be honest, the only quads that REALLY need a full exhaust line are usually 2-strokes cause the combustion chamber can be made to put out the power on the lower end or on the high end depending of it's shape, size, and other variations like this. On a 4-strokes the exhaust is pretty much just meant to release the pollution in the atmosphere so it doesnt require as much engineering as a 2-strokes exhaust.

And people should stop being stupid. A slip-on just wont do anything but NOISE. They are useless and cost 3/4 of the full exhaust line while giving 0 result. What gives you that 0.25 extra HP is the HEADER, not the SILENCER! Just look at the Raptor 700 exhausts. The aftermarket headers are almost twice as big as the stock headers while the silencer ( or slip-on ) doesnt change much.

Anyway there's so much to say about exhausts.

10-04-2009, 01:28 AM
True the exhaust doesnt do a crazy amount of HP but it can add a bit of torque. I bought my exhaust not only for the 1-2HP gain but its also lighter.

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
True the exhaust doesnt do a crazy amount of HP but it can add a bit of torque. I bought my exhaust not only for the 1-2HP gain but its also lighter.

The stainless/aluminum materials are also a whole lot better.

Myself though... if I could go back, I would have put the money in a big bore kit or suspension.

F-16Guy
10-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Well to be honest, the only quads that REALLY need a full exhaust line are usually 2-strokes cause the combustion chamber can be made to put out the power on the lower end or on the high end depending of it's shape, size, and other variations like this. On a 4-strokes the exhaust is pretty much just meant to release the pollution in the atmosphere so it doesnt require as much engineering as a 2-strokes exhaust.

And people should stop being stupid. A slip-on just wont do anything but NOISE. They are useless and cost 3/4 of the full exhaust line while giving 0 result. What gives you that 0.25 extra HP is the HEADER, not the SILENCER! Just look at the Raptor 700 exhausts. The aftermarket headers are almost twice as big as the stock headers while the silencer ( or slip-on ) doesnt change much.

There is so much bad information here that my head is spinning.:confused:

Rootar
10-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
There is so much bad information here that my head is spinning.:confused:

im also in awe of the ignorance displayed in that post :ermm:

tri5ron
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM

after reading that, I think I need to take an Aspirin.

matt14c
10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I believe this thread started out as a joke to be funny because someone was bored but man I really dont know if that was a joke or someone being serious????

I will agree with that there are better or more affordable mods but in the big picture theme of things paying $500 for a 2-3 HP increase is actually pretty huge considering I believe stock these bikes tip toe around 26 HP or so meaning for that cost your getting like an 8-12% increase in power not to mention what they do for throttle response and torque. Thats a pretty big difference. And the increases only go up as the displacement. To be honest if you get a full system for a stock bore you may be doing more harm than good. A slip provides plenty of umph on a stock 400 considering there like $250. Honda Chokes the hell out of everything they produce and right off the showroom floor if you get a better air filter do something with the lid or remove and open up the exhaust system you will see pretty noticable gains.

IcutMetl
10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I believe this thread started out as a joke to be funny because someone was bored but man I really dont know if that was a joke or someone being serious????

I will agree with that there are better or more affordable mods but in the big picture theme of things paying $500 for a 2-3 HP increase is actually pretty huge considering I believe stock these bikes tip toe around 26 HP or so meaning for that cost your getting like an 8-12% increase in power not to mention what they do for throttle response and torque. Thats a pretty big difference. And the increases only go up as the displacement. To be honest if you get a full system for a stock bore you may be doing more harm than good. A slip provides plenty of umph on a stock 400 considering there like $250. Honda Chokes the hell out of everything they produce and right off the showroom floor if you get a better air filter do something with the lid or remove and open up the exhaust system you will see pretty noticable gains.

Well said.

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Punkmaster Flex could have worded it a little better... but he's honestly not that far off.

In the end, I think most of it is point of view and perception...

See, if you came from the old school like me... and ever did exhaust on a 2 stroke... well then you think most 4 stroke exhaust is a big JOKE.

And from that point of view it is.

The best gains I have ever gotten from 4 stroke exhaust came from my Jardine RT99 on my Kawasaki 450R. Of all the 4 stroke exhaust I and my friends have done, that's the only one that's ever impressed me. But the Jardine RT99 is a "true" tuned 4 stroke exhaust system, and is specifically tuned for every application.

This is what real tuned 4 stroke exhaust looks like in comparison.

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 12:33 PM
...And another view...

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Now Jardine does not have an RT99 system available for the 400EX.

But they do have an RT5 system.

It's good for a gain of...

3.3 hp
5.0 ft/lbs

(might be the top performer, have to check)

http://www.jardineproducts.com/ecom/images/product/627.394.600x400.13-1401-524-02_PICTURE2.jpg

http://www.jardineproducts.com/ecom/images/product/627.567.600x400.13-1401-524-02_header

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I checked...

The Jardine RT5 is the top exhaust for the 400EX.

I've just pissed myself off now... lol...
I should have done a better job of shopping.

matt14c
10-04-2009, 01:18 PM
The new big gun I had was custom made also. Supposedly all the new Evo R series are suppose to be but not sure how that is when I see them sitting in my local dealer on the shelf. Anyways I called them to place an order they asked me all kinds of stuff almost like getting my suspension setup. Bore, piston, compression, carb, location, air filter and box setup, riding style, cam, race or pump gas, and whether I would be running the quiet core or not. Im pretty happy with it. Nice sound and seems to be good quality. My only beef is that it doesnt have the lower mount before the muffler. It is only mounted at the furtherst point to the rear and at the head. Doesnt wiggle/ isnt loose but still not sure what it would hurt to have it. It took about 4 weeks to get which for me wasnt a big deal but im sure that may be an issue for some.

odog
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
I checked...

The Jardine RT5 is the top exhaust for the 400EX.

I've just pissed myself off now... lol...
I should have done a better job of shopping. so that pipe is better than a curtis sparks big core

sterss361
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Le monde est petit. :P

Ouah , bon choix de changer de bike . Un 300 cé fiable sauf, y en manque un peu. Un 400 cé pas un bombe mais avec mon setup, je torches des 450 probablement . Jme su pas encore essayer avec d'autre bike .

MtnEX
10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by odog
so that pipe is better than a curtis sparks big core

As far as I know, yes...

But show me a dyno sheet stock/x-6.
Then we will know for sure.

On a side note, I was thinking CT Racing had been considered the highest performer in the past???

dalejiw25
10-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Duncan Racing "Fat boy 4" Complete.

f4iracer
10-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Does anybody know anything about jardine slip ons for the 400ex? I've come across a couple of them but can't find any useful information. Are they a good pipe for this quad or should i stick with the two bros pipe i was originally gonna get.

IcutMetl
10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Read the entire thread; just a few posts back there was talk about the Jardine system.

bigbad400
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM

you sir are a tard. a bigger headpipe wont make things any better unless you port out the exhaust ports. making a bigger pipe on a stock sized port is going to create a goofy vacume in the pipe, take a van or suv for example when you drive down the road the back of the vehicle has a hollow spot if you will, a vacume caused by the spinning air and causing a drag on the vehicle, now to shrink that down and put it into a pipe. your actually going to loose power. to get good gains out of any pipe you need to port the exhaust ports in the motor. a slip on pipe will give you gains over and above the stock... thats un-arguable. there are scientifically proven results, dyno charts and much more to prove it. the tip itself can add gains. they sell tips for a stock pipe that adds power too. if my $227 HMF didnt give any power i would have sent it back the day i got it. but it made the difference in winning a drag against my buddys ltz400. now he too has a pipe on his, (stock motor) and it gave his alot of added power once jetted. (big gun race)

once i got the 440 put together i noticed my pipe sounds restricted, just like the stock pipe, so i tested out a friends fmf powerbomb header and i loved it. really opened it back up. for a stock motor a slip on is good but for a 440 you need a headpipe and a port and polish on the intake and exhaust. now that mines got all but the headpipe it wont be long till i have one. notice the sig.

blacklabel117
10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
go with white bros i have one it sounds meaty and mean i love it

sean.miller10
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
i personally run a white brother e-series on mine but i took all of the plates out so i just have the cone that bolts back on to it it seemed to do the job pretty well it isn't as loud as i would like it to be but like i said it gets the job done it pisses off the neighbors..........my little brother just put a HMF on his i couldn't tell ya what kind but i will say IT IS F****N SWEET

odog
10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
well im sticking with my first answer which is the curtis sparks like i said early every test i ever seen accept for 1 wether it was dyno radar gun and just on seat feel they said the curtis was the best followed by the ct racing then the white brother e series and i think it was 17 diffenent exhausts in the tests i actually saw 1 test that the yosha pipe made the most peak horse power but it was like a spike. the the curtis made more power all the way through the rpm range then any other ive seen so i would say choose between the three i listed

jasonwayne222
10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Have you guys ever heard of scorpion. im runnin it for a few years now and i like it

f4iracer
10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Read the entire thread; just a few posts back there was talk about the Jardine system.

I did read the entire thread num nutz

Anybody had a jardine slip-on?

I just purchased one, never heard or seen one on a 400ex.

Also, i am not afraid to admit that i would pay $180-300 for strictly SOUND! Straight up slip on sound baby...sure i'll take a horse or two but mostly just gimme the sound.

I've got a two bros slip on, on my f4i, it's the best money i coulda spent on the bike.

MtnEX
10-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by f4iracer

Anybody had a jardine slip-on?

I just purchased one, never heard or seen one on a 400ex.

Also, i am not afraid to admit that i would pay $180-300 for strictly SOUND! Straight up slip on sound baby...sure i'll take a horse or two but mostly just gimme the sound.

I've got a two bros slip on, on my f4i, it's the best money i coulda spent on the bike. [/B]

I don't, but I sure do wish I had bought their full system for my 400EX instead of the Yoshimura.

I do have a different full system on my KFX 450R.
It's great.... I can't praise it enough.

I think you are going to be really pleased with the slip-on. It gives good sound and probably just as much or more power as any other slip-on will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJpo5s4oZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otqk2nqOWLg

f4iracer
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
thanks for the links.

flyboy1294
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I know this thread started out as a joke, but while we're on a semi-serious topic, I figured I'd interject :p

When I bought my ex a little while back it had a full system DG Xccelerator on it. Link: (http://www.atvupgrade.com/62-9101.html)

I've heard people say DG was a total piece, but this pipe seems to not be overly-restrictive, and it has a pretty wicked sound. Anyone else have experience with it?