PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Ion Batteries for electric start MX

troybilt
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Anybody running Lithium Ion batteries in their quads? I originally asked the question regarding TRX450ER's, but thought I move it to the Open Forum, to see if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks.

Lithium Ion Battery Thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=412463)

One_Bad_400
10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
interesting?!?! next time i need a battery i may think about it. how big are they?

Edit: 4 1/4" X 2 3/4" X 1"

troybilt
10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Here are the dimensions of it: pretty much fit anywhere

EBATT Dimensions (http://www.ebattonline.com/thefacts.html)

They are $79 and last alot longer, seems like a no brainer to me, but wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I was looking at designing my own setup until I stumbled across this site on the internet.

BM@Ronayers
10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow that is very cool. I will probably pick one of these up when I finish my rebuild. Looks like you could mount it about anywhere.

witech
10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
2.5 amp hours ? Id want at least double or triple that . Do they make higher capacity ones?

troybilt
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Says they make a 5.0 amp-hr one as well.

On the FAQ sheet page the mention the 5.0 amp-hr battery:

http://www.ebattonline.com/faq.html

EDIT: Its $139 vs $79

troybilt
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
This doesn't specifically say for quads, but is there much of a different bw. E-start bikes and quads..??

BM@Ronayers
10-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
This doesn't specifically say for quads, but is there much of a different bw. E-start bikes and quads..??
I just them an email asking them just that. I use a YTX9-BS Yuasa on mine so I am pretty sure these would work.

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Lithium batteries have a very high energy density, but you have to be a lot more careful with them. They cannot be overly discharged or charged, or damage to the cells and potentially a fire could result. You must use a special charger and charge through a balancing port. They must be charged at a 1C rate to about 4.20 volts per cell (1C meaning 1 x the rated capacity; a 5.0 amp hour battery must be charged at no more than 5 amps). When being used, the load device circuit must have a low-voltage cutoff to prevent discharging below about 3.0 volts per cell or the cells will be junk.

They are more work, but they have a capacity and discharge rate that nicad and nimh can't touch for a given size/weight.

troybilt
10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes I agree.. I've been studing these Li+ batteries for quite some time in respect to my electric ATV project. LiPO4 batteries are not something you can easily plug into your ATV.

Most battery packs (actually all LI+) battery packs use a BMS or VMS i.e. Battery management system or Voltage management system If you take apart a Dewalt or Makita LI+ batter you'll see what I'm talking about. The charger is also very critical, that's why I'm wondering how they did it using the existing charging system?? I don't have a good understanding of the charging system on my quad, though... but could all be built into the BMS system

They do mention this and also mention their use of Lithium Cobalt batteries which are different than Lithium Phosphate batteries or LiPO4 batteries.

deathman53
10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a turn tech battery, 2.5 ah, its 20% of the weight of the stock battery, doesn't discharge and maintenance free. I believe its a lithium ion battery. It wasn't cheap, $100. The 5 ah one is $180, many on ktmtalk have had them for awhile and start their 525's easy, even when others' quit.