PDA

View Full Version : changed my mind on elkas.. buyin 450r shocks.. questions

J.J.
09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
i'm gettin some 450r shocks from a member on here so it poses a question...

the shocks are stock.. i've read they are stiff on factory arms.. i could eventually pickup some burgard arms or something when the next sale rolls around..

now my question is this.. would i just need to have them serviced and have the valving readjusted for me or have them completely rebuilt?

a somewhat local shop will do this service for $125. this is a direct copy from their site..

Shock Service-
Includes new oil, nitrogen and seals. Valving adjustments if needed. Inspection of all components for wear and damage (replacement of damaged parts is additional).

$125 for a set of fronts.

$125 for one rear.

09-30-2009, 11:33 PM
450r shocks are not stiff on the 400ex unless you weight like 100 lbs. The extra weight of the 400ex makes them not so stiff I never had a problem. I actually had them cranked up pretty good to keep me from bottoming out when I ride. Now that I own a 450r it actualy beats me up more because the thing is so darn light compared to the 400ex but the spring rates are nuts. The rear shock was deffinately made for MX. I have the preload taken completely off front and back yet its still not soft where I am bottoming or even sagging much.

Bill Martin
09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Put them on and try them out first they might work good like they are.

tri5ron
10-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Bill Martin
Put them on and try them out first they might work good like they are. x2,
if they are too stiff, you can put some Works or GT dual/triple rates on and they'll be fine