PDA

View Full Version : newly built 416 spittin fire

jasonwayne222
09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
I just put together a 11:1 piston,stage 2 hotcam, new timin chain,new valves, and a jet kit.

I cant get it to stop spittin when i give it full throttle, it wil idle good and wont spit until i hit full throttle, itll spit once when i full throttle for about a second or two.

I tried all the jets and i even went back to completely stock on the carb and the same result every time. I pulled the head back off checked to make sure the valves are seatin good and double check the timing. everything looks good.

The only thing that i can think is when i polished the head I shot inside the ports with a sandblaster. well aparently i didnt get all the sand out because when i pulled it back off a small almost hand full of sand fell right out of the intake boot. so maybe im screwed. maybe i should let it idle and half throttle for a good while. i dont know what to do im at my witts end here.

TRXRacer1
09-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222

The only thing that i can think is when i polished the head I shot inside the ports with a sandblaster. well aparently i didnt get all the sand out because when i pulled it back off a small almost hand full of sand fell right out of the intake boot. so maybe im screwed.

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

coreo5
09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
if sand came out of the intake boot and you were running the motor...i would say another rebuild is comming pretty soon.

Honda#4
09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I concur with another rebuild.

storms400ex
09-30-2009, 10:51 PM
rebuild again :eek:

09-30-2009, 11:29 PM
ultimate fail. but if its not spitting oil maybe its your jetting?

Bill Martin
09-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Man I hate it when that happens. The first oil change I did after my re build I did it at the track and was distracted by some friends that showed up.
I for got to tighten the oil plug on the case and it came out while I was ridding.
Two things saved me: one I had just put on a large capacity oil can on it and I got arm pump and stopped and saw the oil on my boot.

Clean it up and run it hopefully most of it blew out.
Check the carb good maybe the back flow sucked some sand into the carb.

tri5ron
10-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
The only thing that i can think is when i polished the head I shot inside the ports with a sandblaster. well aparently i didnt get all the sand out because when i pulled it back off a small almost hand full of sand fell right out of the intake boot. so maybe im screwed. maybe i should let it idle and half throttle for a good while.

This is coming from a Helicopter Mechanic ????
I've got almost 30 years as a Aircraft Inspector.
Dude,... you scare me.

b.lee
10-01-2009, 06:24 AM
a handful of sand pretty much sums it up here. :eek2:

jasonwayne222
10-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Let me make a little correction, the bike revs up fine and does great. it only pops once when u let off the gas

ok well I don't think a rebuild is going to be necessary because i took it all apart, took out the valves and everything inspected it all and cleaned it up.

Now I was reading the dynojet troubleshooting guide and it said that "Bike functions normal except that it pops when you get off the throttle. Main jet,needle and slide have no effect on deceleration. solutions: Verify there are no vacuum leaks, verify there are no exhaust flange gaskets leaking or joints leaking are into the pipe, if those things check out, try turning the screw out 1/2 turn, making sure you have a good stock idle."

Now I do have a good exhaust flange leak. im going to put in new flange gaskets and try it again. only problem is i have one bolt broke off on each flange.

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Lean idle circuit or an air leak in the exhaust. Once you replace the crush gaskets and verify there are no cracks, install a 42 pilot with the fuel screw about 2.5 turns out from lightly seated and you should be good to go. What DJ main are you running?

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
This is coming from a Helicopter Mechanic ????
I've got almost 30 years as a Aircraft Inspector.
Dude,... you scare me.

An inspector, huh?
I don't know if you've ever been in the military, but in the Air Force, we send all of the guys that can't turn a wrench up to QA so we can get them out of our hair. You're not one of those, are you? :huh :devil:

jasonwayne222
10-01-2009, 08:53 AM
well i took all the jet kit out to verify it wasnt from that. but im goin to put it back in. but i was runnin a 155 main. and as far as the pilot goes im not sure, are you talkin about what groove the clip is on the needle. that cant be what ur talkin about. but my jet kit only came with mains and a needle. so i dont know. did i get screwed was i suppose to get pilots as well. its a dynojet kit off ebay.

Oh and thankyou f16 guy for that. we all make mistakes but you have to actually turn a wrench to do so. im only 2 years into my a&p so im not perfect. but when it comes to my job i have a lot higher level of concentration and concern then when im working on a toy that doesnt kill people if it breaks.

so f*#$ u inspector man

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 09:22 AM
The exhaust studs need to be fixed. You can't hold the head pipe on with one bolt per side. Do that and install new copper crush washers and that will take care of the exhaust leak.

The DJ kit doesn't come with a pilot jet, only mains and a needle. Buy a 42 pilot jet from your local shop or from jetsrus.com and install it using these instructions:
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/pilotjet.html

The carb will have to be removed so that you can remove the float bowl to access the pilot jet. You don't necessarily need to remove the slide or throttle cable; you can keep that attached as long as you can move the carb to a place where you can turn it upside down and get to the float bowl.

Do you still have the stock pipe and filter? What is your altitude? A 155 sounds a little lean unless you have a stock pipe or you're above about 5K feet.

tri5ron
10-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
An inspector, huh?
I don't know if you've ever been in the military, but in the Air Force, we send all of the guys that can't turn a wrench up to QA so we can get them out of our hair. You're not one of those, are you? :huh :devil: ha ha ha !:D Oh I think I've been around a motor or two. busted a knuckle once or twice, and if I look hard enough, I can usually find the gas cap too. :p

Done commercial and military, and quick responce worldwide repair and recovery teams.
usually flying back home on a bird that we just spliced on a new wing, or sectioned in half of the fuselage.
and almost always had to be on the manifest for the test flight, to return to airworthyness/service.
Along with doing much of the wrenching, I had to do the final signoff.
Ahhh,... the stories I have, and the things I've seen.
:devil:

to the OP,... Take a chill-pill dude, your correct that we're not talking lives here.
It's only your own cash that you burn when you get sloppy working on your quad.:(

F-16Guy
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Just makin' sure :blah:

jasonwayne222
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
well i put in the crush washers and put it all back together with a 165 main its doin pretty good. starts good idles good, good power, im happy.

probly gonna sell and buy a 450r tho

Bill Martin
10-01-2009, 10:12 PM
You didn't say you had an exhaust leak in your first post but now that you found and fixed that, I’ll bet that took care of it.

jasonwayne222
10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
ya im ready to take it out to the trails and tear it up.