PDA

View Full Version : valves. intake has oil in it

honda4life72
09-30-2009, 07:51 PM
ok so i put new valves in exhaust and intake. the intake valves have oil on top of them and the thing smokes kinda bad. i did a little bit of a reseating job on the head with some compound but that was it. the seats were fine thow from the old valves. i didnt put new valves seals in thow. but the exhaust side is fine? i did some searching and found some stuff that i dont quit understand, people said that the valves can leak oil if there not seated properly? but i dont see how that could happen?

eastside 400
09-30-2009, 08:23 PM
its probably the valve seals, valves wont leak oil if they arent seated, the oil would have to get past the piston first. put new seals on and see how it goes

honda4life72
09-30-2009, 08:24 PM
ok well appartently the valves are not seatd. i just sprayed carb cleaner into the intake and and it bubbled and leaked out in about 30 secounds could this be why it smokes?

honda4life72
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
could the valves seals being bad cause it to smoke everytime i hit the trottle? it smokes white. but it smells just like oil. like i know its oil and the oil is in the intake. it smokes blue also. just white when it sitts and idiels.

honda4life72
09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
the exhaust seals are just as old as the intake seals. thats whats troubling me. . im switch them and see if theres a difference. the rings are good i know because it ran for about 10 hours bbefore i replaced the valves

Scro
10-01-2009, 07:56 AM
If you are getting oil on top of your valve, your seals are leaking. If you spray into the intake and it leaks around the new valve, you need to have seats cut. You always need to have the seats cut when installing new valves.

Alot of people don't understand that the seat wears just as fast as the valve itself. When you put in a new valve and you don't have them cut, the face of the valve and the valve seat are not flat against each other. The causes the valves to wear even faster than before.

If I were you, I would take it to someone that can cut the seats and install new seals.

hendershot106
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Scro
If you are getting oil on top of your valve, your seals are leaking. If you spray into the intake and it leaks around the new valve, you need to have seats cut. You always need to have the seats cut when installing new valves.

Alot of people don't understand that the seat wears just as fast as the valve itself. When you put in a new valve and you don't have them cut, the face of the valve and the valve seat are not flat against each other. The causes the valves to wear even faster than before.

If I were you, I would take it to someone that can cut the seats and install new seals.

exactly scro....thats a perfect recommendation.... a good valve job will only run you 125 or so... try somewhere with a good reputation..gt..baldwin...sparks...etc..