View Full Version : F1 cars are AMAZING

jesseweaver
09-30-2009, 06:01 PM
not sure why but i was just reading a little about them..

>They use a 2.4 liter v8. no turbo (i guess cause of reguations) they rev to 18000 rpm and make a little under 800 hp. total the car has to weigh 1334 pounds. this is with the driver and everything. so the actual car probably weighs around 1000 pounds.

>before the new regulations they could use 3.0 v10s. these revved to more than 22000 rpm and had well over 1000 hp.

> they get about 3 mpg

>they shift in about .05 seconds (they have a 6 or 7 speed semi-auto trans)

> at about 80 mph the downforce equals the weight of the car. this means they could literally drive on the seiling at a little over 8- mph

> the steering wheels cost over $30,000 and you can pretty much adjust everything on them. they have a LCD screen

>the braking is really amazing, they can do 62-0 in 55 feet. and 124-0 in 2.9 seconds. at higher speeds, because of the tremendous downforce, they an create up to 6 gs. one driver described it as feeling like your lungs are pushing against your rib cage and it forces you to exhale.

>they can reach up to 258 mph

>in one demonstration at a track, a pair of mercedes benzs were given a 70 second headstart and an F1 car beat them. this was on a 3 mile track. so i would guess after 70 seconds the benzs were about a mile and a half ahead

> they do 0-124 in 3.8 seconds:eek2: :eek2:

lol just some quick facts, not sure why im so amazed with them lately

S.A.J
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Thats pretty sweet!!! Cept i doubt the drivers weigh over 300lbs,mayb i misunderstood though?

Lol i got a new Hybrid idea :eek2:

yellowzo3
09-30-2009, 07:04 PM
No doubt these cars are awesome! I love all the technology in them. They're so much different than other auto sports. I never really got into it although I sort of want to. But what info I do hear about it is never good. A lot of teams pulling out of the series, drivers said to be going to teams and end up not going (great anticipation for one of the drivers but I don't know the story), and strong team penalties as well. I guess it costs so much to stay in the sport that in these times its not worth it. I really should start watching it more. Anyone follow it? I know the races start at ridiculous times, like if you want to watch it on tv it starts at 7am or something a lot of the time.

S.A.J.- I guess he means with fluids and all added in there as well. If not then yeah I'm confused also lol.

I think they used to run v10's years ago. Am I correct there? I heard they used them and then switched to v8's later due to the speeds they were acheiving with the larger engines. I'm not sure if thats 100% correct though.

ben300
09-30-2009, 07:25 PM
...formula 1 cars are probalby one of the most amazing things in motorsports today...the v10 engines from 2003-2006 were just amazing wiht their power and everythign..

now...check out specs on like acura's LMP1 prototypes..the are faster, handle jsut as good, and can corner faster than the formula 1 cars..wathed a big movie on them...that adn the documentary on the audi team in teh 24 hr lemans was a great movie....what those guys do amazed me a ton

tach13
09-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah i like to watch f1 when i can. its car racing pushed to the limits. i personally think its a lot more interesting to watch then guys going around in circle's.

OzLinc
09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
not sure why but i was just reading a little about them..

>They use a 2.4 liter v8. no turbo (i guess cause of reguations) they rev to 18000 rpm and make a little under 800 hp.

Or to put it perspective for us quad peeps........

thats 150hp from 450cc's

Guy400
09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
F1 is the pinnacle of auto racing. The funny thing is the cars keep getting faster despite the FIA's rules to try to slow them down. They switched from 3.0 liter V10's to 2.4 liter V8's. When speeds continued to rise they then capped the rev limit at 18k on the 2.4's. This year they then implemented the rule for no more winglets or other aerodynamic aids aside from the front and rear wings.

An F1 car obliterates the LMP class. F1 has 200 more horse and by the technical regulations the F1 cars are much lighter. LMP 1 must weigh a minimum of 900kg (1980lbs.) while F1 minimum weight is 605kg (1331lbs.). Simple math tells you you're not going to be faster in a car that's 650lbs. heavier and down 200hp. It doesn't touch F1 in cornering G's nor braking distances.

09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
and to add to this you can thank Honda for discovering the use of toluene for fuel. they were the 1st to use it as that and put it in their F1 cars when they used to be turbo and ran like 73PSI or something. Those cars are truely a work of art. Pneumatic valves, almost the whole motor is like carbon fiber... I only wish I could drive one and rail turns like them.

jesseweaver
09-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
Thats pretty sweet!!! Cept i doubt the drivers weigh over 300lbs,mayb i misunderstood though?

Lol i got a new Hybrid idea :eek2:

yea yellowz03 is right, thats with fluids and on board cameras and everything. and the cars are lighter, they gotta add weights to make them make the minimum weight. so they can add weights at the lowest part of the car for a lower center of gravity.

and the v10s that made 1000 hp and wiegh somewhere around there... thats like a 450cc quad making idk what they weight? 350lbs? so thatd be at least over 300hp. lol wow imagine that.

i never realized how spectacular these cars are, i might have to start watching and following F1 a little more.

Quad18star
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Amazing cars indeed... but the only thing I don't like about the sport is that the pit crew can adjust various components of the car in race using computers set up in the pits. ( things like fuel mapping and such). But no doubt they are some of the best racing to watch. If you ever have the chance to check them out i would suggest it.

My other prefered type of racing is drag racing. The amount of power they can put out in the funny cars and top fuel and get that power put down to the ground is amazing also. A 1/4 mile in 4 seconds is mind boggling.:eek2:

XCRacer236
10-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star

My other prefered type of racing is drag racing. The amount of power they can put out in the funny cars and top fuel and get that power put down to the ground is amazing also. A 1/4 mile in 4 seconds is mind boggling.:eek2:

Isn't that the truth! i would LOVE to ride in a Top Fuel with John Force. :D He has been one of my idols since i was old enough to know who he was.

godzilla
10-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
I know the races start at ridiculous times, like if you want to watch it on tv it starts at 7am or something a lot of the time.

The problem is that the majority of the races are in Europe, and some in Asia where the time zones are either 6 to 8 hours ahead, or 6 to 8 hours behind.

The only North Amrerican races are in Montreal ( none in 09, but returning in 2010) and there used to be Indy, but the last F1 race there was a fiasco when Michelin pulled all they're tires due to failure and the only teams racing were Bridgestone teams...all 3 of them. So you can imaging how boring it was watching 6 cars going around the track.

It also lost its luster when the same driver, Michael Schummacher, dominated year after year, and the race results were too predictable. Its a lot better now as there is a little more parity and the championship is not decided half way through the season.

I have seen it live in Montreal, and I cannot even begin to describe just how fast these cars are. The specs dont even do it justice. If you are sitting in front of pit row, the only time you see the cars is at the start, because afterwards they are just a blur. Best place to sit is in the hairpin, so you can actually see the cars, and seeing the bright red glow coming from the brakes...Its crazy.

ikas
10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpJshzMrpD4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpJshzMrpD4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ben300
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by godzilla
It also lost its luster when the same driver, Michael Schummacher, dominated year after year, and the race results were too predictable. Its a lot better now as there is a little more parity and the championship is not decided half way through the season.

ya, this season and last season have both been very exciting, especially last season with the drivers and constructors points not being wrapped up to the last lap of the last race. Makes for some very exciting racing

its also nice to see a bunch of different drivers win thsi season around. THer has been a lot, button, hamilton, barichello, kimi....makes things exciting and keeps fans interested...

it was also truly a shame that shumacher couldnt get back in teh car to take massa's place for the rest of the season....

it was also nice to see a team that came fromt eh pitiful exsistence that was honda, come out the next year and almost completely wrap up the constructors championship by half way