PDA

View Full Version : Wow....

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Alright so i gotta vent for a sec guys....needing to know if you guys think this sounds right. So the mechanic i take my quad to calls today, he said he put a new solenoid in, new spark plug, new front pads(tusk) on both calipers, a wire replaced, and cleaned the filter....he is charging me 400$ for what could of took me a day to do but he has had the quad over a month....is this sounding right or am i losing my mind...cause to me it sounds wayyyyyyyy over priced.

these are my figures..

-spark plug- $3 tops
-clean filter- maybe $10 at best
-pads- 15$ a set
-he told me he even paid 30$ for the solenoid.

at best i would of figured 200$ for the lot

matt14c
09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Might be about right considering they are probably charging you $70+ an hour for labor. That is why if you want to continue participating in this sport its pretty crucial to buy a manual and learn how to do things yourself. Between this site and a good Honda manual you could pretty much fix anything.

mcgrath
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
Might be about right considering they are probably charging you $70+ an hour for labor. That is why if you want to continue participating in this sport its pretty crucial to buy a manual and learn how to do things yourself. Between this site and a good Honda manual you could pretty much fix anything.

X2

All the dealers around here charge $89-$93 per hour. Youch! Its pretty bad when they only pay their techs $15-$19 per hour. What you need is a manual and a little trial and error.

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 05:38 PM
lol yea i bought the quad used so i got shafted on the manual and ive been working on my quad for years now and now it inside and out EXCEPT for the wiring lol not my strong point

mcgrath
09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah right on. Get a multimeter and learn how to use it. They are extreemely handy. Checking wiring takes time and patience.

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
yea my dad's a certified electrician but he is scared to go near my quad or help me cause he dont wanna mess anything up but shucks least i can get him to help me figure those things out. lol

buster024
09-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Get a Clymer manual....they are fantastic. The manual that comes with the bike is really just an owners manual, and not a service manual anyway.

zack221
09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
search for 400ex service manual on here and there is a thread where you can download the whole service manual

rigger
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
With all the hours that I have spent over the years with all of my bikes and atv's in the past would probly be in the 2 or 3 million range.

I work for a boat dealership and we charge $95 an hour, that adds up fast if I spend all day on someones boat. I no longer own a boat but if I had one and had to pay someone to do everything to it, or my atv's, I could not afford them as hobbies.

You really need to learn how to fix them your self. Ask questions and read about everything you can. It will teach you a lot.

And you can have a lot of fun doing it.

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
yea, i mean know everything BUT wiring...It scares me lol im afraid to mess up

matt14c
09-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
yea, i mean know everything BUT wiring...It scares me lol im afraid to mess up

Yea wiring can be a bit tricky but like I said if it doesnt mention it in the manual ask on here. Chances are someone on here has had the problem.

If it was wiring you could have bought a whole new wiring harness I think for $400! But hey you live and you learn.

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 07:53 PM
that ya do i could of saved that money for a new front end lol

danzigg
09-30-2009, 08:00 PM
This site will teach you everything you need to know . I bought a basket case 2000 400ex last dec and never owned a quad before .
Worked on a few 2 strokes in the past. after got it running in jan "thanks to this site" we own 4 of them now my wife and my 2 teenage sons all have ther own.
I have aqired them all off of craigs list and they all were in verry bad shape . bad motors shot carrier bearings ect...... if i did not spend the time on this site and almost wore my clymers out..lol
the 4 of us would not be riding 400ex's
this site is the bible when it comes to a 400ex.
the cost to fix and mantain them would not fit in the family budget
if i had to pay some one to to the work.
we have and all of the the only bad thing i hate about the 400ex is those 8mm case bolts lol....

2 2000
1 2001
1 99 2 red 2 yellow.

Bill Martin
10-01-2009, 12:09 AM
The price wasn't bad but they should not have kept it that long.