PDA

View Full Version : What axles use flanged mating surfaces?

cpl rampage
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi, New guy here and looking for some help. i don't own an atv, but a friend that is a member here referred me to this site.

i am wondering if you know of any off road vehicle that might use flanged cv axles instead of a spline?

I am designing an independent rear suspension for a Mini Baja car. Its a competition that I compete in with other university. here is our website if you are interested to see what we do:

http://numotorsports.com/

We have never done an independent rear suspension before, and we want to take a stab at it this year. We ideally want to use some off the shelf axels from an atv or a side by side.

Now here comes the hard part.

Most teams use cv axles with a splined stub on each shaft. the tough part of that is, splineing a hub to fit that is expensive and trying to use an OTS hub and designing around it becomes bulky. the other idea is, with splined axles, you would need to disassemble the suspension to take the axle out, which we want to avoid.

What we want to do is use an axle with flanged mating surfaces. that way we can just unbolt the ends and swap out the axle. i know using a flanged axle is popular in the automotive industry on alot of awd cars like subarus and older eclipses. but i think something like that would be way too big for our car. So my question to you guys is:

Do you know of any off road vehicle that might use flanged cv axles instead of a spline?

Any suggestions are appreciated, even if you arn't sure post it up and i will check it out.

usp4u
09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
this may not be a help, but.....

You may want to look into those little Jap mini-truck things. The things with the small cab, like a mail car, but have a 6ft. steel bed on back. Subaru was responsible for alot of those and I think they used as flange end axle. There are several companies who import those vehicles to the US and supply the parts. At one time I knew of a site that support a parts fische for them, but it escapes me now.
What are you going to use for a knuckle or hub/bearing?

cpl rampage
10-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that info, i will look into it, the thing about that is, i don't see them having much mis-alignment and they are probably a lil long, but ill still check it out.

We are setting up an almost individual swing arm/truck arm suspension in the rear so we would have a hub with 2 bearings on either side of the swing arm. the wheel bolts to one side, the axle to the other. our machining is free but we don't have the ability to make splines that i know of so that's why we are trying for flanged axles. If any one has any good recomendations to this other then flanged axles im open to ideas.

It seems like all atv's use axles with splines so far...