PDA

View Full Version : Is there a doctor in the house? (MRI pictures)

Ryan
09-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Im trying to get a second opinion on my MRI report that was taken about 2 months ago. I have photo's and a report from the Radiologist from the hospital. I was expecting my orthipedic to explain it to me, but he was real cut and dry, and didn't really tell me anything besides to go and get an Epidural Steriod injection. So I picked up my report from the hospital so I can see for myself.

STORY -(keep it short) 4 years ago, I was riding upstate NY on a seasonal use ATV road, where I came around a corner and got hit my a Ford Torus, which totalled both the car and atv (head on collision). I didn't think I was really hurt at all right after the accident. Relized a few hours later that I could hardly walk... Weird how that works. I just wish I reported it and went to the hospital.. Probably would of had alot of this stuff covered.

I went to some doctors during that time... Got an MRI awhile ago, and was told I have 1 disk hurniation. The Doctor told me to go to physical therapy a few days a week. Well I never really went, I blew it off. Now up from a year ago, I started getting pain down my right leg and numbness in my toes. I waited a few months, hoping it would go away. I didn't have insurance so I was limited to what I could do.

Finally enough was enough. I went out and got myself a Health insurance plan. Went to an orthipedic, got the mri... ECT ECT. I had everything lined up to get this steriod injection... Only to find out my (terrible) insurance doesn't cover any sort of injection, and out of pocket price is 3 grand. Needless to say, I was pissed. I dropped my insurance and now am currently awaiting for medicaid just so I can get this taken care of and get back to working full time. I been workin with a friend whenever I can, and usually after a day of work, im in bed for 2 days. Its quite a problem.

Anyways, im rambling here... I went and got my MRI report. I didn't know this, but I guess I have 3 bulging disks on top of the herniated one. Here is my MRI report. Very hard for me to understand what the hell was written in this report.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(MRI Report)

Findings: There is normal lordosis of the lumbar spine without subluxation at any level. The vertebral heights and marrow signal are maintained.

The prevertebrak sift tissues are unremarkable. The conus medullaris terminates normally at the level of the t12 vertebra.

Level by level evaluation:

At the L1-L2 level, there is no central or neural forminal stenosis

At the L2-L3 level, there is a minimal disc bulge without significant central or neural foraminal stenosis.

At the L3-L4 level, there is a mild disk bulge, which results in a mild left neural foraminal stenosis without central canal stenosis.

At the L4-L5 level, mild disc bulge is identified resulting in mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

At the L5-S1 level, there is a disk bulge with superimposed posterior disk protrusion, which is asymmetric to the right extending to the right lateral recess resulting in mass effect upon the exiting right S1 nerve root. Superimposed facet hypertrophy is identified.

There is mild central canal stenosis with moderate right lateral recess stenosis and mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
--------------------------------------------------

Can anyone help me understand this a little better? Is a bulging disk likely to herniate in the future?

Here are the photo's.

Ryan
09-30-2009, 07:50 AM
You can see the hurniated disk thats pushed out, pressing on the nerve root, towards the bottom of the photo's. And some of the other disks look a bit swollen, judging by the line to the right of them (see 4th post for best picture).

Ryan
09-30-2009, 07:51 AM

Ryan
09-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Any insight on this? Every doctor I go to tells me something different. First doc said it wasn't bad. Second one said it was real bad. And if someone can somewhat explain the report in ENGLISH to me, i'd really apreciate it.

Ryan
09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Heres a picture of a normal MRI report, to get a better idea. Besides that one screwed up disk in there.

wckedclownz69
09-30-2009, 11:25 AM
wow all that right there just hurt my brain... now i know how you feel... lol

Pappy
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I have a bulging disc, and above and below it are deteriorating discs. When my back goes out I am on my knees or worse. Loosing weight has helped a ton, and paying attention to not lift eavy things etc has helped. They want to operate but everyone I know that has had surgury tells me to hold off as long as I can because its atoss up on how you feel after it.

KXRida
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I can read ct scans better than MRI's. Usually the doctor's take care of all imaging reports. I work in a surgical trauma unit, but it's hard for a normal person to just look at an mri and make something of it. From what I see it doesn't look too severe, but you have some sort of injury going on there.

I'll post up my ct scans of my compressed spine later.

Ryan
09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
They want to operate but everyone I know that has had surgury tells me to hold off as long as I can because its atoss up on how you feel after it.

I was told the same thing. Im not ready to gamble with my spine just yet.

Right now I avoid lifting anything close to heavy. For atlease the past 6 months, i'd be a fool to think I could run, jog, or even get close to touching my toes standing up. I can usually tolerate the back pain, I know I got a long road ahead of me with that.... But my main concern is relieving pressure on the sciatic nerve.

And yeah, I figured not just anyone can look at an MRI and know the specifics of whats really going on. I tried to follow the report, and take a good look through all the pictures. The herniated disk is certainly obvious. Im more curious to know whats going on with the other 3 disks..... as far as, could they get worse on their own like a hurniated disk? Are they more prone to damage if I have another back injury? And what could I do to help heal things, if possible? Electrotherapy, ultrasound, specific exercises?

exrider12
09-30-2009, 05:35 PM
My moms friend just had something similar to you. She had the surgery and she feels so much better. She said it was immediate relieve.

His username is 2to4 if you wanna pm him about it.

2to4
09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
my mom had two herniated disks and a bulging disk. the herniated one was pinching a nerve in her hip so thats where most of her pain was coming from when she wasnt in bed. before anything was figured out she was in bed for about 3 months after 3 epidural shots she still didnt feel any better. she had surgery in march and is about 98 percent what she was last march instead of the 40 percent she was in december and january. the good thing about it was she had the best doctor in america for backs or whatever he was but he spent time in iraq and other places doing back surgeries of some sort. she can lift most things now but she takes it easy. she talked to some people who got one epidural and are fine 10 years later. it realy is a toss up of what works for who. good luck and heal up though

KXRida
09-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I will eventually need a kyphoplasty on my vertebrae from T7 through L1. Just don't know when yet. I'm about 50% asymptomatic. Some days I'm fine, other days I can't move.

Originally posted by Ryan
And what could I do to help heal things, if possible? Electrotherapy, ultrasound, specific exercises?

as far as healing, you're pretty limited. Time is mainly your best friend and trusting your doctor. I've tried decompression therapy and it didn't really help my back at all. The bursa in my back are crushed enough that it will eventually require a kyphoplasty.

The most pain relief I've had, espeically before, during, and after riding is stretching. I have my own stretching routine that I do before everyride. If I find it I'll post it. It's rathery lengthy to type.

dirtbike&quad
10-01-2009, 12:17 AM
OK, this post is for the OP, and this is gonna suck man but you need to stop riding. Riding puts SO much stress on your back you have NO idea. Start building up your abs and any muscles in and around your back. Hips, legs, butt, etc. This will help in the long run. For now, go to therapy, a chiropractor (one you can trust) can help as well and adjust you.

I have had it all...herniated disks, bulging disks, chipped bone off my back, stenosis, you name it...i had A LOT of back pain when i was around 17 and it had to do from skiing and riding. it takes so much abuse on your back and you dont even realize it

dirtbike&quad
10-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
I've tried decompression therapy and it didn't really help my back at all. The bursa in my back are crushed enough that it will eventually require a kyphoplasty.

biggest waste of money ever. this doesn't work. i read up on it and anyone i talked to says its the biggest hoax ever...

KXRida
10-01-2009, 03:12 AM
It also puts some people at risk for a cerebral hemorrhage as well. I figured I'd give it a try, but didn't really work for me.

brad200615
10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
well i can say myself that i just had 2 herniated discs and i was in bed for the better part of 2 months before the doctors finally decided to look more in depth into it and after they found it they tried the shots and everything else and nothing worked and i couldnt work or anything because of the pain from it pinching the nerves for my left leg and i just had the surgery on the 15 of last month and i am already up and moving alot better than i was. i mean i really didnt want to get the surgery and the doctor didnt want to do it either bein as im only 21 but like dirtbike said biggest thing is stay off the quad till you get somethin worked out i mean i had the pain a little bit for about a month but not unbearable and went ridin and by the end of the day i wasnt able to load my quad back into my truck alone. hope ya get somethin figured out soon though

mxpimp2000
10-01-2009, 11:10 AM
my mom had a plasma disc decomprssion where they put the long needles in ur back and move them to find the disc thats bad and inject some crap and it fixes the disc, it worked for her and is 110% better now. idk if this could help you but just an idea

Ryan
10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by brad200615
well i can say myself that i just had 2 herniated discs and i was in bed for the better part of 2 months before the doctors finally decided to look more in depth into it and after they found it they tried the shots and everything else and nothing worked and i couldnt work or anything because of the pain from it pinching the nerves for my left leg and i just had the surgery on the 15 of last month and i am already up and moving alot better than i was. i mean i really didnt want to get the surgery and the doctor didnt want to do it either bein as im only 21 but like dirtbike said biggest thing is stay off the quad till you get somethin worked out i mean i had the pain a little bit for about a month but not unbearable and went ridin and by the end of the day i wasnt able to load my quad back into my truck alone. hope ya get somethin figured out soon though

Thanks! One thing I notice with my back... Whether I lay in bed for days, rest up and do nothing.... I only start to hurt more. Lately I just been so fed up with it, I'll just keep moving, beat myself up till I can't take it anymore... Then rest up. I tend to feel better doing anything but laying on my back. Getting out of the bed is the hardest thing to overcome during the day (i'd never get out the bed without takin pain meds first). And the quad riding does take its toll... I'll ride no longer than 10 minutes for a day (once or twice a week). Suprisingly, it doesn't seem to affect me half as bad as walking far distances. Glad to see your had a sucessful surgery though! Definitly makes me feel a little more confident about my future. Im hoping I'll never have to do surgery, but its good to hear positive stories about it.