PDA

View Full Version : CR ignition owners - Where is your timing set?

dynofox
09-30-2009, 07:34 AM
I've recently installed a '00 cr ignition on my '86 using the ESR plate. I removed the bottom bracket on the cr stator plate and mounted the stator turned fully counter clockwise (due to what I read from C-Leigh Racing). Is this how most of you have your timing set? My quad is a standard bore motor with only a few bolt on goodies that is used for trail riding (pump gas).

derby
10-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
I've recently installed a '00 cr ignition on my '86 using the ESR plate. I removed the bottom bracket on the cr stator plate and mounted the stator turned fully counter clockwise (due to what I read from C-Leigh Racing). Is this how most of you have your timing set? My quad is a standard bore motor with only a few bolt on goodies that is used for trail riding (pump gas).

You will be better off with it lined up the way it is supposed to be.

morse250r
10-02-2009, 04:07 AM
i had mine all the way advanced and on the dyno i picked 7 hp up, i moved it back to stock the moved it a few degrees advanced due to a bogg i was chasing, turns out it was carb issues so i am planning to advance it again to see what i get out of it for times im set up for drag racing

dynofox
10-02-2009, 06:36 AM
There are such conflicting reports on this. Some say set it up as I did (fully retarded) and others say fully advanced. Neil said going fully advanced with the ESR plate is more for running alcohol not pump fuel.

Derby, do you have experience with the cr ignition and the esr plate?

derby
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
There are such conflicting reports on this. Some say set it up as I did (fully retarded) and others say fully advanced. Neil said going fully advanced with the ESR plate is more for running alcohol not pump fuel.

Derby, do you have experience with the cr ignition and the esr plate?

I have been running the cr250 ignition since 2002. I do not mess with adjusting the stator plate, I use a programmable ignition. From years of playing with the ignitions I have found that for the average weekend warrior setting up the stator and billet plate the way esr intended is the best. Yes you can advance the ignition which will give you more torque at the expense of revs. Don't retard the ignition especially if you are trail riding. The limit for you will be your compression and pump gas. Essentially adding advance will have the same effects as raising the compression. Advance too far and ...... well just play it safe and line it up like it should be.

dynofox
10-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by derby
I have been running the cr250 ignition since 2002. I do not mess with adjusting the stator plate, I use a programmable ignition. From years of playing with the ignitions I have found that for the average weekend warrior setting up the stator and billet plate the way esr intended is the best. Yes you can advance the ignition which will give you more torque at the expense of revs. Don't retard the ignition especially if you are trail riding. The limit for you will be your compression and pump gas. Essentially adding advance will have the same effects as raising the compression. Advance too far and ...... well just play it safe and line it up like it should be.

I'm running 170lbs of compression with pump premium fuel (91 octane).

dynofox
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Called ESR today and they said to re-install the bottom plate on the cr stator and run it. Just did this and fired it up and it revs much better, not sure why anyone would want to run in any more retarded than it is now. :confused:

250Renvy
10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Your pm box is full, try emptying the sent messages folder as well, if you haven't lately.

Then pm me to let me know. I'll send the info.

dynofox
10-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Your pm box is full, try emptying the sent messages folder as well, if you haven't lately.

Then pm me to let me know. I'll send the info.

Should be good now.