PDA

View Full Version : We got our Pitster!

T@AFP
09-29-2009, 10:04 AM
We received our Pitster 125cc yesterday.
For some of you who may not have read on the other post, I'll explain what we're doing.
Pitster agreed to send us a 125cc for us to develop some parts and to give them some feedback on their machine. This will be a "Project Bike" for the winter season. With any luck it'll be ready for the first 2010 National.

My first observation, from a chasis perspective, was how much bigger the unit is for a larger/taller youth rider....rather than the Apex or DRR. It gives them so much more room to move around the bike.
Also, it has some charecteristics of some of the bigger Japaneese bikes. They really put some thought into developing this machine.

However, the chasis will definately require some gussetting and the foot pegs will need to be strengthened.
Another observation was there wasn't any heel guards. Then once I tried to start it I realized why. There isn't enough room for a larger sized boot to start it. I couldn't get my foot in there to rotate the kick starter to get a "full kick".
I've attached a picture for a reference. If the kick start would rotate forward....like the TRX450R for example. That would surely help. But perhaps a nerfbar company will figure this out.

I really haven't had but a few minutes to look the machine over. But overall....with some "mods". It will be a contender next year.

I will keep this updated as time and progress permits. Hopefully, the moderator doesn't interpret this as advertising and deletes it.

If there are any companies who would like to assist us on this build. Please contact me.

Thanks,
Tom Skladzien
tom@atvfourplay.com

nordic quad
09-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Should be an interesting project to follow in general.:D

Pitster
09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks ATV 4 PLAY, glad the quad arrived safe and sound, let me know if you guys need anything!!

boomer43
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
How dose this thing run copare to the cvt and honda 90

T@AFP
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by boomer43
How dose this thing run copare to the cvt and honda 90

We only rode it for a few minutes around the shop. It seemed strong. But it sounded like either the jets were plugged/dirty or the jetting was way off. It "popped" alot so I quit.As mentioned earlier I only had a minute to mess with it. But I'm confident that with the right intake/exhaust etc..... this thing should rip. I've rode a stock TRX90 and compared to this....no comparison. Pitster would surely win. Plus it's a dual A arm,hyd. brakes etc...

Being somewhat close to HMF Engineering in Cleveland, OH and Hans and I seem to have a good relationship. I'm gonna hit them up and see if they're interested in developing a pipe for them.

JAG Motosports
09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by nordic quad
Should be an interesting project to follow in general.:D

Ditto, very interested to see what ATV 4 Play comes up with.

T@AFP
10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Quick update.
I spoke with Hans from HMF yesterday and they're in.

I have to drop the bike off for a few days for them to do their magic. I'm personally very excited to have HMF get on board with these bikes. They have made some great exhausts for the 4 strokes.

Pitster
10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
Quick update.
I spoke with Hans from HMF yesterday and they're in.

I have to drop the bike off for a few days for them to do their magic. I'm personally very excited to have HMF get on board with these bikes. They have made some great exhausts for the 4 strokes.

Thats is great news, ATV 4 Play and HMF will be great names to have behind the FXR, looking forward to see what you both come up with!!

musky
10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
We only rode it for a few minutes around the shop. It seemed strong. But it sounded like either the jets were plugged/dirty or the jetting was way off. It "popped" alot so I quit.As mentioned earlier I only had a minute to mess with it. But I'm confident that with the right intake/exhaust etc..... this thing should rip. I've rode a stock TRX90 and compared to this....no comparison. Pitster would surely win. Plus it's a dual A arm,hyd. brakes etc...

Why wouldnt the jetting be more close to being right on these quads from the factory? I noticed on pitsters website forum that you shoold check the jetting. It would seem if they are mass producing these that the jetting would be pretty close.

Ride1Rob
10-03-2009, 08:02 AM
The jetting with all bikes depends on the where you are. But even moreso with these lil motors as they are real finnicky to the slightest change from my experiences with them. What is right where they were built may be completely off 4hrs away depending on elevation change and such. Another thing to remember is that the increments in jet sizes are not in 2's like the big bikes. They're in 10's from the carbs that I've dealt with on these motors (Ex. 155/165/175)

As for the exhaust... doesn't it come with the Pitster exhaust already?

BTW, Tom... I have ATV4Play MGC arms on my YFZ and completely love them. Awsome setup and and awsome quality.

greenmachine70
10-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Have you or anyone seen one of these up against modded DRR's or Apex 100's?
I am extremely interestd in purchasing one for next season MX here in Central Florida, but noone can tell me if there will be a class for one.
It seems the distributor down here is only interested in promoting DRR's.
I have owned DRR's since 2002 and it is finally time to move up.
I have emailed the tracks and they have never seen one.
They all say they have to see one run before they will place it in any class.
It would be great to see some video of the quad against the above mentioned quads to see how it stacks up to real competition.
If anyone has video please post it. I have 2 months to make a decision between tis and a rappy 250.

JAG Motosports
10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
I am extremely interestd in purchasing one for next season MX here in Central Florida, but noone can tell me if there will be a class for one.
It seems the distributor down here is only interested in promoting DRR's.
I have owned DRR's since 2002 and it is finally time to move up.
I have emailed the tracks and they have never seen one.
They all say they have to see one run before they will place it in any class.
It would be great to see some video of the quad against the above mentioned quads to see how it stacks up to real competition.
If anyone has video please post it. I have 2 months to make a decision between tis and a rappy 250.

If you get any answers please post it. We are in the same boat. Considering between the 150 pitster or yam 250 raptor or blaster. The only reason we're a little hesitant on the pitster is because they are so new and nobody has any feedback on them. Guess we might be the ones to be giving the first feedback. Do you race at Dade City also? Have you talked to Randy? We assumed that the 150 pitster would be runing in the quad youth class.

greenmachine70
10-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
If you get any answers please post it. We are in the same boat. Considering between the 150 pitster or yam 250 raptor or blaster. The only reason we're a little hesitant on the pitster is because they are so new and nobody has any feedback on them. Guess we might be the ones to be giving the first feedback. Do you race at Dade City also? Have you talked to Randy? We assumed that the 150 pitster would be runing in the quad youth class.
I emailed Randy and he said he had never seen one and he would have to see it run before he would say what class it would run in.
We plan to run Dade City next season.
This was my sons first year ever racing. We started the season in Bartow, he is #24x on the black DRX90 with green flame graphics.
If we can finish the season he will get the points championship.
I talked to you one night in the stands about Jordan. He is an outstanding rider and Colby looks up to his skills.
I wish we could get some answers.
If the pitster is placed in quad youth I will lean toward the raptor, if they decide to put it in with the modded 0-100 2strokes I will get the pitster and take my chances.
I am good friends with Ride1Rob and he knows the ins and outs of these motors.
I wish someone had some video of this quad against some modded drr's or apex's.

nordic quad
10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Exept Pitsters own video i only know of the ones posted by GIG 755 on youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzuF_fqUciE&feature=channel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-o52GcQS6E&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGyjeqYr6k&feature=channel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_dpm3TEjr0&feature=channel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oVmjbWVbqI&feature=channel

kfx450
10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
in the gncc's they are running these in the big mini class. they win somtimes but I think they may have only overalled 1 race. They have been beat by apex and drr. I think they are a good platform but not like throwing the cobra out there against the other cvt bikes.

Ride1Rob
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
From what I've been told, there are Xtreme's out there with 125 motor that runs in the 0-100 stock appearing class. Because Jams bike is a shifter he'd have to run modified. Don't see why the Pitster would be any different :ermm: . It's a mini and Jam is actually at a disadvantage running against the DRR's because he has to shift thru gears rather than mash the gas and go. May take him to Dade to see what they say and that'll determine if he races there next season or not. We'll continue to do Bartow though no matter what.

JAG Motosports
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Rob, There is an extreme in 0-100 class, guessing it's an auto. I think Jam would have to run in the blaster class with his shifter. The 90 mod class is a cvt class. Not that I would care and don't think alot of the others would either. Call or email Randy. You should bring him out for a Thurs night practice.

Ride1Rob
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Xtreme doesn't make an auto quad. Their semi auto and still require shifting but the clutch isn't engaged via hand lever. The clutch on those motors are engaged when you shift the bike up or down with the shift lever.

There's no way I'm putting my 8yr old on a miniquad out there to race against 15/16yr olds on blasters. There would be no purpose to do so other than him possibly getting hurt or killed.

JAG Motosports
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
There's no way I'm putting my 8yr old on a miniquad out there to race against 15/16yr olds on blasters. There would be no purpose to do so other than him possibly getting hurt or killed.

Actually 11/12 yr olds and I don't bame you. That's why I said call Randy.

Logan #34's Dad
10-06-2009, 11:54 PM

One of these showed up at the AMA-ATV National at Pleasure Valley. The boy riding it I believe was more of an accomplished GNCC rider and had not raced much motocross so take the following with that consideration. The engine had some work done to it to.
The quad seemed competitive - But it was quite a long way behind some Cobra's and Honda's in the 90 Production class and the 90 Mod class. Because it is a shifter it has run in the mod or shifter class at the ATV Nationals.

Ride1Rob
10-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Actually 11/12 yr olds and I don't bame you. That's why I said call Randy.

I've been told that 13&14yr olds are still riding DRR's over there. Albeit in the moddified class but still riding them. Jam is too small and too inexperienced to ride in the youth class with Blasters and Raptor 250's for that matter even if they were 12yr olds. Which is something else I don't understand. They'll run 200cc 2 strokes against 250cc 4 strokes, but won't run 100cc 2 strokes against 150cc 4 strokes.

I hear people talk about the difference if the bike is a shifter. I have yet to see where the shifter has an advantage over the CVT. From my experiences with these motors I've pretty much come to the conclusion that a stock 90cc 4 stroke or even a 125cc 4 stroke for that matter won't run with a 100cc 2 stroke. We're running a stock 150cc 4 stroke that puts out maybe 14hp. I'm hearing these DRR's he's racing against are putting out 15-16hp stock. I was told by a friend of mine a DRR 70 with motorwork was dynoed at 14/15hp.

As far as Dade City goes I've been told a few stories of how the parents whine about the races sometimes. That's something that I really don't care to deal with. I'm sure if he races there and was a little competitive there would be issues because the motor he's riding is a shifter. The thing I loved about Bartow was at the beginning of the season all the parents voted were trying to voted to let him run in the stock class. The Elkas are the only reason he's running modified. I've had only one issue with another parent at Bartow and he was a guy that comes from Dade City on their off weekends. Jam got tangled up with his son and he was making little comments to another parent. I bit my tongue and didn't say anything because he never directly said anything to me or Jam. It's things like this that upset me about him racing at all. Some parents seem to go overboard trying to live their dreams through their kids or for that matter forget that their all just kids. There have been kids that have rubbed tires with Jam as he's tried to pass them or when the race was tight and they both got tangled up and I've run over and put the other kid back on his bike before I get Jam going again.

ecmini1
10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Greenmachine70.

When we were at Loretta Lynns in August we were able to ride all the versions to give them feed back and its a very nice product. Has a lot of power and seams reliable. One of the Pros was hamering on it for a while in the pits and at the end of the weekend they were still alive. I say it a great machine.

greenmachine70
10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by ecmini1
Greenmachine70.

When we were at Loretta Lynns in August we were able to ride all the versions to give them feed back and its a very nice product. Has a lot of power and seams reliable. One of the Pros was hamering on it for a while in the pits and at the end of the weekend they were still alive. I say it a great machine.
Hey Chad,
I dont question the quality, just the class placement here in Central Florida. IMHO it should be started out in the "stock appearing" 0-100cc class to see how it compares.
If it dominates, then maybe jump to mini quad modified.
It appears that it might be pushed into quad youth which is mainly blasters and raptor 250s(with crf motors) and 300ex's.
In this case it would be a waste of money and even dangerous.
If a track says a 200cc 2stroke should run against a 300cc 4stroke, then why not a 100cc 2stroke against a 150cc 4stroke.
If they put it in the modified class it would be running against 118 -128cc cvt motors and they are FAST!!!!
Rob got some good video last night of a similiar motor in his typhoon against our "stock appearing" 0-100 DRR's.
This should help.....I hope.

nordic quad
10-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Agree as long as the 4strokes does not have 4valve high output 150cc engines(like crf 150s)They should run with up to 100cc 2stroke stock appearing class.And then the rider size and age should be the deciding factor.

Robs latest video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqERfUPkzY

Ride1Rob
10-12-2009, 12:20 AM
LOL that's some of the vid... That's the one that I posted and emailed it to the owner of Dade City. He said he had to see the bike in action so here it is. This here is all the proof that's needed that the 150's should be allowed in the stock appearing classes with the Drr's. Jam barely pulled the whole shot and is 45pds lighter than Colby Goodman right behind him. The Pitster motor power wise is basically the same as the Xtreme in the vid. It'll be interesting to see what his answer is.

As far as these motors runnning a 4 valve head, if it gives it that much more umph put it in the modified class. There's no way these motors (no matter what you do to them) will run with Raptors and Blasters. Those lil Drr's have Dr. Pulley setups along with all kinds of other mods you can do to them and they still run in stock appearing.

greenmachine70
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
LOL that's some of the vid... That's the one that I posted and emailed it to the owner of Dade City. He said he had to see the bike in action so here it is. This here is all the proof that's needed that the 150's should be allowed in the stock appearing classes with the Drr's. Jam barely pulled the whole shot and is 45pds lighter than Colby Goodman right behind him. The Pitster motor power wise is basically the same as the Xtreme in the vid. It'll be interesting to see what his answer is.

As far as these motors runnning a 4 valve head, if it gives it that much more umph put it in the modified class. There's no way these motors (no matter what you do to them) will run with Raptors and Blasters. Those lil Drr's have Dr. Pulley setups along with all kinds of other mods you can do to them and they still run in stock appearing.
We do not have a Dr Pulley. If he stays on a DRR he will next season for sure. Its the only way to compete in this class.

Ride1Rob
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
We do not have a Dr Pulley. If he stays on a DRR he will next season for sure. Its the only way to compete at Dade City.

You know I know that :p . I was saying "those" in reference to there are DRR's running in the stock appearing class with Dr Pulley setups and many other mods.

Pitster
10-12-2009, 04:52 PM

FYI the Pitster motors are in now way the same as the Xtreme motors. I watched Levi Coan run down and pass 300cc bikes and bump 450 bikes on a tight SX track in Ohio this weekend.

musky
10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Pitster
FYI the Pitster motors are in now way the same as the Xtreme motors. I watched Levi Coan run down and pass 300cc bikes and bump 450 bikes on a tight SX track in Ohio this weekend.

Do you have any video of that? I would like see that.

Ride1Rob
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Pitster

Where in my post did I say I was running an Xtreme motor? The Xtreme in the video is my sons bike and we're running a 150cc manual setup. FYI, other than the centrifugal clutch on the Xtreme and the crank setup the concept of those motors are EXACTLY the same. I've torn through them and rebuilt them and can tell you first hand how the setups are.

I want to see that vid as well :huh

greenmachine70
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I think the key word in that statement was "tight sx track".
Assuming there is a lot of quads bunching up and bumping each other into a turn, where a smaller quad may fit allowing it to beat the 300's.
I am just saying.
I too would like to see the FXR doing what you say since I am considering one.

ecmini1
10-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Dr. pulleys are good but there are other clutches cheaper that do the same. In fact we are able to run certain stuff be fore it comes out. One of our machine runs a stock clutch I modded the other Dr. pully and the other the Stage 6. They all hole shot the same after some adjustment, its not just a part to be bolted on and your in the winner circle.
A stock clutch can perform as well as after market with some work.

In fact a DR. pully is much heavier so creates more rotating mass. for the eng. to turn. Dont get me wrong still a great product.

ROBBSRACING
10-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Could I get one to test too ?

Please !

ecmini1
10-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by ROBBSRACING
Could I get one to test too ?

Please !

Im sure you have tested 1 or 2.:D

ROBBSRACING
10-15-2009, 06:10 AM
To be honest I havent even seen one in person. I would have thought with the NEATV-MX series rite here, that there would be a few of them around, but I havent seen even 1 of them. It is probably due to there rules. With it having a manual clutch it could only be raced in the 90 mod class and I cant imagine that it would run with a real 90 mod. Not at 125cc especially. Its pretty obvious that the rules need to be changed to allow four strokes some more displacement.

lilman
10-15-2009, 08:59 AM
i agree the four stroke rules should be changed we did the exteme thing as well and had good luck but there is no way a 125 pitster will ride with our jb cr 85 .with comparable riders of course! they should be allowed at least 150 cc for thr four strokes
heck i would probably go back to the four strokes then because i like them but cannot compete with a 125 even a really done 125 for that fact damons lap times are 10sec faster on his cr than his trx125 keep in mind damon felt his trx was to light in the front??? and wouldent double up on any of the doubles.

greenmachine70
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
these Dr Pulley setups are not right out of the box....trust me.
Chad, shoot me a PM on the motoplex site with some clutch pricing and explanation for my DRX90.

Ride1Rob
10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I've been trying to see if we can at least get into the 90 class here and sent the vids to Dade City MX. Haven't heard anything and the vid was sent on Sunday. Guess it's not looking good :( . It's weird though because they're running 200cc 2 strokes along the side of 300cc 4 strokes in one of their classes. Guess that's why most are assuming these lil 4 strokes will be thrown into the fire with them and the ages are 11-18. Jams only 8 so he's too young to run that class anyway.

ecmini1
10-16-2009, 05:22 AM
I've been trying to see if we can at least get into the 90 class here and sent the vids to Dade City MX. Haven't heard anything and the vid was sent on Sunday. Guess it's not looking good :( . It's weird though because they're running 200cc 2 strokes along the side of 300cc 4 strokes in one of their classes. Guess that's why most are assuming these lil 4 strokes will be thrown into the fire with them and the ages are 11-18. Jams only 8 so he's too young to run that class anyway.

Rob1,
I will find out for you. I have to confirm a rule change I heard about carbs that can be run now at Dade MX that were not allowed before. I will ask about the 4 strokes running.

Ride1Rob
10-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ecmini1
Rob1,
I will find out for you. I have to confirm a rule change I heard about carbs that can be run now at Dade MX that were not allowed before. I will ask about the 4 strokes running.

Awesome!!! Thanx ecmini I owe you one. ;)

hanzito
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
my sons typhoon with a gpx xy160, tb v2 head, 177 big bore and a mikuni vm26 carb flat tears. he is 11 and has been running with the 250 raptors ( with original air cooled motors) , blasters and 300ex, at our flat track series since he was 10. he holeshots regularly. he also holeshots a built drr90 that races here ocasionally. he dosent always win because the other riders are a couple years older and are signifigantly more experienced. but he does win his fare share.

greenmachine70
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I think the verdict is in that we can ony run the 125 down here in Florida in the "90"mod class.
The 150 would have to be run in the 0-200 class. That class has modded blasters and JB Mods with cr85 motors. I dont see it making the podium in this class legally ever.

Ride1Rob
10-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Well, the stock 150 motor I'm sure won't run with built Blasters. But I have seen Jams bike stock ride with a friend of mine's totally stock Blaster and the Thumper has more bottom end grunt stock. There are also some nice mods to get these motors close to 200cc's. Also, that info from Hanzito is very intriguing. But that's not really an option for me for my 8yr old racing in that class.

JAG Motosports
10-22-2009, 03:22 PM
What did I say before I got a tongue lashing.

I think Jam would have to run in the blaster class with his shifter.

Ride1Rob
10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
What did I say before I got a tounge lashing.

C'mon Ken... Tongue lashing lol. I don't remember saying that's not the case. Nor is it because he has a shifter bike. It is an option to go down to 125cc's and run the 90cc mod class or 0-100cc mod class with the Manual shift. However, I do remember saying there's no way I'd let Jam out there with them because of his age. Now if he had skills like Jordan, I'd let him race with whoever wanted to lineup with him lol.

JAG Motosports
10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
All right so I'm a sensative guy:p Jordan is moving up to a blaster after the last 3 Dade City races. So I know where you can get a fast 90 that beats the big bores:blah:

ecmini1
10-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I got the same verdict greenmachine did about dade city. But still the 125 I rode was pretty strong. I think I will do just fine they build a much better machine than the xtreme all the way around. The xtrmr may have power but it take more than a strong motor to make it happen.

hanzito
10-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Motor aside. The only weakness to the xtreme is the two piece frame which is fixed with the frem brace kit. The two piece steering stem again fixed but simply welding soid. The biggest weakness is the stock shocks. But I haven't found a sngle quad being used for racing that dosent have shock chnages made. So that being said since I have already made the invvestment I don't think the pitster is so much better that I would sell. The only thing that I think the pitster has better is the frame. And the swingarm design.

Ride1Rob
10-24-2009, 04:09 AM
I agree with Hanzito 100%. Off the floor the Xtreme is lacking a bit and has some issues to be honest. But spending only $1800 for the bike and investing maybe another $1500 into it to get Elkas, frame gusseted, better bars, AC nerfs, Performance carb, an extra motor, and a few other small items isn't bad. I still came out less than $3500 total. I can say the frame is very strong. We've had this bike for over 2 years and there hasn't been the 1st issue with the frame at all. Even with that being said I still had Dusty to put a gusset kit onto it.

ECMINI, do you know or not if Randy will run shifter 125 thumpers in the 90cc mod and 100cc mod classes like SSQSA is? Talked with Brett a couple days ago and he said Jam could run in those classes with a 125.

camsdad
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
yes you can run the 125 in the mod class,and you can run the 150cc cvt in the mod class also..dade citys mod class has no cc limit only rule is production frame and cases...all of the 2 strokes are under 110 with the exception of 1 that shows up on occasion...

greenmachine70
10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by camsdad
yes you can run the 125 in the mod class,and you can run the 150cc cvt in the mod class also..dade citys mod class has no cc limit only rule is production frame and cases...all of the 2 strokes are under 110 with the exception of 1 that shows up on occasion...
Pitster dont make a cvt. Are you saying you can run the FXR150 4-speed manual in the mini quad mod class????
Please clarify,
thanks

camsdad
10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
cvt was what i meant ,although i dont think the 150 pitser pro would have a chance with the 2 stroke mods,just my personal opinion..we have raced against them at the gncc and pass them like they're on jack stands in the open areas.i think if someone brings one out racing it at dade city wouldnt be a problem.

Three-foot
10-25-2009, 11:27 PM
We have also received a FXR 125R from Pitster to do a little parts developing and to get some approval from our local AMA Dist 16 to see if we can get these minis approved for a little flat track action in 2010. At this time our Distract only allows CVT minis in our youth classes. I was also thinking about contacting Rath Racing to see if they would like to check it out to design a sway bar for it seeing how we have the flat track in our cross hairs. Our sponsored rider’s Father has a good working relation with the Rath group.
As for the jetting, I have sent Gary an e-mail to check more on the issue. For one, ours came with a 102 main and an unmarked pilot jet. Up here in cheese country we are going to need to bump up both the main and pilot to do any testing in the colder temps. Don’t forget to brake that 125 of yours in right. Warm it up and put the coals to it, run it hard with a load thru all the gears. Get those rings set. We have used a dyno to brake in our full size 4-stroke quads and have seen much more and longer HP doing so. Hard to believe, but after reading the Motoman website and trying it we found better performance.

greenmachine70
10-26-2009, 05:39 AM
cvt was what i meant ,although i dont think the 150 pitser pro would have a chance with the 2 stroke mods,just my personal opinion..we have raced against them at the gncc and pass them like they're on jack stands in the open areas.i think if someone brings one out racing it at dade city wouldnt be a problem.
What would you say the minimum cc would be for a drr r apex to compete in the mod class at D.C.?
Or what is the average size out there, I know Hassel has some big motors, what are your boys running.

camsdad
10-26-2009, 07:04 AM
we have pulled holeshots this year on a 96cc ,the average is 105....thats all you need with the right set up.the big hassel motor is not that much faster is very unreliable.the class can be won with an exotic hi dollar aluminum cylinder 90cc,they make great hp.the only down side to them is if your a local racer with no cc limit who wants to spend that kind of money every time they need a cylinder.the apex 100 cylinder is my cylinder of choice for the mod class.alexus or jr austed who dominate the stock 100 class have equivalent hp to the mods ,especially at dade city.

JAG Motosports
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Our 90 competes with the big bores. It is not a high dollar cylinder and it has alot of time on it and hopefully alot more, because deep pockets are something I don't have.

Ride1Rob
10-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I sent another email to Dade City asking what class Jam would run in before I bring him over. I don't want to get over there and hear Youth class. That would be wasted gas money and time. Hopefully he'll respond this time.

camsdad
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
heres what id recommend,randy is not going to give you the answer youre looking for until he sees the quad on the track....bring him over ,sign him up in the mod class,if he blows everyone(i doubt very seriously ) away youll get bumped to another class which would be youth.i dont see anyone complaining in the mod class because for the most part everyone gets along very well..ken i was referring to a cheap cast iron cylinder vs a malossi or parma kit(400.00 for a cylinder is hi dollar to me when i can buy cast iron lc 54mm for 70.00).......the youth class isnt that bad it was won a couple years ago by my son on a 300 pound quad with a kx65 powerplant .....

Ride1Rob
10-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeah think I'm gonna have to take ur advice on that one. But I don't wanna drive over 2hrs round trip and have done it for nothing lol. Check your pm's.

hotquads1
10-27-2009, 08:44 AM
we have pulled holeshots this year on a 96cc ,the average is 105....thats all you need with the right set up.the big hassel motor is not that much faster is very unreliable.the class can be won with an exotic hi dollar aluminum cylinder 90cc,they make great hp.the only down side to them is if your a local racer with no cc limit who wants to spend that kind of money every time they need a cylinder.the apex 100 cylinder is my cylinder of choice for the mod class.alexus or jr austed who dominate the stock 100 class have equivalent hp to the mods ,especially at dade city.
I agree the Apex 100 cylinder is a good one, but you must be getting a better deal on them than we do , because when I buy the Apex Cylinder , head, piston kit, gasket kit, studs and needle bearing, it makes the aluminum cyl kit look reasonable in cost , since it includes all of these parts, I think the added benefits of the aluminum cylinder are worth the few dollars difference.
I also think the 2-strokes will dominate the 90cc classes again in 2010, but the 4-strokes are making big improvements and it is only a matter of time before we all have one.
marc

ecmini1
10-27-2009, 09:22 AM
The apex cylinders have great port timing stock which is nice less port work. To save money buy a good used 90cc cylinder and bore it to 53mm which is the apex 100 cylinder.
I agree with Marc 4 strokes are going to be a force soon and Pister is paving the way.

camsdad
10-28-2009, 07:12 AM
i can get the apex cylinder direct fro tiawan for about what a bore job cost........4 strokes have always been a force to be reckoned with,just cost alot more money...ever seen a true 150 plus cc honda run....gy6 cvts like the kymco can easily be made close to 200cc.

camsdad
10-28-2009, 07:22 AM
marc,most of my local kids are still running air cooled motors in the mod class(very cheap cylinders)we still prefer air cooled at the gncc races.almost every holeshot in the 12 to 15 mod class at the gncc this yr and most of last yr was pulled on an a/c 90 that i built and maintain...i dont think atva will class the pitster with cvts,its just another entry against the hondas and cobras.they have a long way to go in that category.
ecmini,i like porting cylinders,kind of a hobby for me.....the farther i have to move transfer or the bigger the challenge the more fun it is.i charge the same if it takes 2hrs or 6.......

ecmini1
10-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Im the same way I eat this stuff up. I still like the air cooled stuff myself just takes more time on the cylinder to get the power because of the casting being of older design.

Love the old school ways.

greenmachine70
10-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, Rob is bringing the 4stroke to Dade this weekend. I am hopeful that Dade will see that a 150 asian clone engine will fit into the mini mod class even with a clutch. I could see if it were a CRF150 motor going into shifter 0-200, but not this motor. Cant wait to hear results.

camsdad
10-29-2009, 07:04 AM
crf150 is welcomed in the 0to200 class at ssqsa...dade city doesnt have a 0to200 class ,our class are blaster(max200cc)raptor(max250cc).......you 0to200 cc any 2stroke,0to300cc any 4 stroke,the youth 200/300 is basicaly a anything but ccs goes class.i dont think rob will have a problem in the mod class.....we also race 85cc dirt bikes at dadecity where the crf150r is allowed and they are not competitive at all with the 2 strokes

Ride1Rob
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I'd just like to thank you guys for giving us an opportunity. He's wanted to race Dade City the past year or so but was a tad bit nervous about it. When I told him he jumped through the roof lol. He hasn't had much track time lately (2 times in 4 months) but I'm hoping he'll settle in and have a good time once the race starts. He loves crowds and attention so he'll soak the atmosphere up well.

When will we hear what the verdict is as for as placement? I think alot of parents will be waiting for bike purchases for next season.

Pitster
10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd just like to thank you guys for giving us an opportunity. He's wanted to race Dade City the past year or so but was a tad bit nervous about it. When I told him he jumped through the roof lol. He hasn't had much track time lately (2 times in 4 months) but I'm hoping he'll settle in and have a good time once the race starts. He loves crowds and attention so he'll soak the atmosphere up well.

When will we hear what the verdict is as for as placement? I think alot of parents will be waiting for bike purchases for next season.

LOL thats great!! Just a FYI we are very close to having the release from the CSPA, so the Pitsters will be out soon!! FINALLY!!!

camsdad
10-29-2009, 10:43 AM
i will observe practice and the motos and get with randy...at that time we will make a decision...

greenmachine70
10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
i will observe practice and the motos and get with randy...at that time we will make a decision...
This is good to hear.

edwardsp&b
11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
so what happened? where did they place the pitster?
thanks bryan

Ride1Rob
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
We had the opportunity to run Dade City last night with the modded 2 strokes. The 1st moto we were back of the pack off the gate and I felt pretty good going up against these fast bikes with his start. His skill level and lack of knowledge on the track hurt his performance during the race however as he almost got lapped by lil Jordan Gibson the man child lol. They only give them 3 laps of practice time and he still had not figured the track out. Jam told me after the race he thought he had come out in 1st gear rather than 2nd because in his words, "The bike felt low off the gate." The 2nd moto he was 3rd out of the gate until he mis-shift into 3rd gear and he fell into the back of the pack in the blink of an eye. In this race he finally began to ride the track as his confidence was up. We'll be going back to DC on the 14th and hopefully he can maintain a good start and see what happens when someone is pushing him. I'll get some video footage then as well if anyone wants to see 1st hand.

BTW, we don't run a Pitster. I have a built Xtreme Typhoon with a Lifan 150 power plant which is very similar to the powerplant the pitster has. From what I'm hearing the Pitster motor has a tad more grunt than what we're running. Maybe Gary will let me get one to take to DC and run it 1st hand :devil: .

greenmachine70
11-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I hope we will be there on the 14th race night. I will take video if I am there so you can be on the track.
I am glad the track owners used common sense with this type of quad. IT IS STILL A MINI QUAD and it should not be placed with raptor 250's or 300exs' anywhere.
Thanks for the info Rob and I am glad Jam had a blast.

greenmachine70
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
We need to do a practice night with the boys.

Ride1Rob
11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I may try to take him this Thursday. He is absolutely in love with the track now but needs to get more comfortable. Hopefully momma won't have a fit if I go and pick him up from school Thursday and head that way. They don't get out of school til 3:30pm :ermm: .

Couple of pics from yesterday.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4425/2q9x7884.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3633/2q9x7900.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

JAG Motosports
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I thought Jam did very good for his first trip to the big time. It can be nerve racking.:scary:

camsdad
11-01-2009, 08:19 PM
rob,it was nice to meet you yesterday...we were very glad to have you at our track and hope you come back...your son looked very comfortable on the quad,dade city is tough for the kids that race there every week so you did great your first trip....you are welcome back anytime.we will continue to take the bigger bore 4 strokes under consideration for class placement,please realize we are open for diversity but want things to remain somewhat fair for the kids who are already in place...we will make a place for everyone to race.good luck and see you at the races.tracy covil

Ride1Rob
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I appreciate the hospitality Tracy. We definitely have found a new home :D .

Also, thanx Ken and appreciate the help Saturday night.

ecmini1
11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Rob,

Jam looks great, Im glad you went and started to set the trail for the 4 strokes. Glad you had fun at Dade it is a great place to run at. We are planing on being there on the 14th to suport our sponsored rider and bring a couple newbies to see Dade city and the great track they have.

Congrats to jam on a job well done.

btw nice pics

hwf-racing
11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Rob, I told you they were some great pictures of Jam, Hunter enjoyed meeting Jam. Can't wait till next season when they go head to head it will be a lot of fun for the boys. Hopefully, the young kids will start to push the 11-14 year olds. Get some wins!!!! As you saw Dade City has some good talent, I'M sorry great talent, and they show well in the natl's as proven this past year at Lorreta's.

woodsracer144
12-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I may try to take him this Thursday. He is absolutely in love with the track now but needs to get more comfortable. Hopefully momma won't have a fit if I go and pick him up from school Thursday and head that way. They don't get out of school til 3:30pm :ermm: .

Couple of pics from yesterday.
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4425/2q9x7884.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3633/2q9x7900.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

what kind of quad is that?

Ride1Rob
12-16-2009, 11:14 AM
It's a modified Xtreme Typhoon.

Ride1Rob
12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
We received our Pitster 125cc yesterday.

tom@atvfourplay.com

Two posts after receiving this quad with the last being on 10/1. Almost three months later and NO UPDATES or writeups on the bike. That can't be too good :ermm: .....

KLCRACING
12-27-2009, 11:33 PM
One of the main questions keeps getting danced around, we want to know if the 125 or 150 will out run a stock 90 Apex or DRR in a flat out drag race? We too would maybe like to change to a thumper but nobody is giving us a good comparison. We're not interested if it won on a track(different skill level rider on one or the other would taint that outcome). On one post someone said that a shifter has no advantage over a cvt, how about getting to rev up on the starting gate and pop his/her clutch or shifter to shoot them off the line. I'll agree that once on the track,that the cvt probably has the edge.JMO. Not trying to ruffle any feathers just want to know before investing any money!

greenmachine70
12-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by KLCRACING
One of the main questions keeps getting danced around, we want to know if the 125 or 150 will out run a stock 90 Apex or DRR in a flat out drag race? We too would maybe like to change to a thumper but nobody is giving us a good comparison. We're not interested if it won on a track(different skill level rider on one or the other would taint that outcome). On one post someone said that a shifter has no advantage over a cvt, how about getting to rev up on the starting gate and pop his/her clutch or shifter to shoot them off the line. I'll agree that once on the track,that the cvt probably has the edge.JMO. Not trying to ruffle any feathers just want to know before investing any money!
great post
I just want to know if it will hang with it, not even so much as out run it and there are still no comparisons.

T@AFP
12-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Two posts after receiving this quad with the last being on 10/1. Almost three months later and NO UPDATES or writeups on the bike. That can't be too good :ermm: .....

I know it's been a while, but I don't know why you would assume "it can't be good".
We have had other projects in here that needed attention. Here is a example of one: http://tpr-atvs.blogspot.com/

The Pitster is and will be a solid contender in the MX and XC venue.
Like any new machine...it will have it's hiccups. But in general, I think they're off to a good start.

Our intent has always been to have the bike ready to debut at a local indoor event at Summit Indoors in Ohio or at the Indy show. We should still be able to make that deadline.

We have the vehicles dimensions drawn up on CAD. We know we will be offering a +2.135" for the LT MGC series A arms. We will be offering a + 1.135" standard travel MGC series for the GNCC.
The round house swing arm will be a +3".

Once we have more data and some pictures I will update this thread or start a new one.

Thanks,
Tom

Ride1Rob
12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
I know it's been a while, but I don't know why you would assume "it can't be good".
We have had other projects in here that needed attention. Here is a example of one: http://tpr-atvs.blogspot.com/

The Pitster is and will be a solid contender in the MX and XC venue.
Like any new machine...it will have it's hiccups. But in general, I think they're off to a good start.

Our intent has always been to have the bike ready to debut at a local indoor event at Summit Indoors in Ohio or at the Indy show. We should still be able to make that deadline.

We have the vehicles dimensions drawn up on CAD. We know we will be offering a +2.135" for the LT MGC series A arms. We will be offering a + 1.135" standard travel MGC series for the GNCC.
The round house swing arm will be a +3".

Once we have more data and some pictures I will update this thread or start a new one.

Thanks,
Tom

Sounds to me like your sole pupose was to make parts for the bike and not test it. Which is cool but I was under the assumption that you guys were going to give us some feedback on the machine after you got it. The products you make are outstanding but I'm sure most won't be able to go out and purchase ATVFourplay products all around to put on this bike if the stock items don't hold. So I guess it's fair to say the Pitster has been sitting in your shop from day one :ermm: . My saying that it can't be good was only because of the time lapse (3months) since you got the bike and no posts. I understand now though that you got it for developing your parts for it.

Ride1Rob
12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by KLCRACING

Here's a vid of a Full manual shift 150 on the gate with Drr's. The motors on the black and red Drr's have mods but are under 100cc's... Barely lol. They run in the stock appearing class and my son is modified class because of Elkas and the 150. The red Drr is the fastest in the group but he had a broke thumb on this date which affected his riding (Just riding for points). Normally he's up there battling the other two for the holeshot. This is only the 5th or 6th holeshot my son pulled the whole season and the 2 strokes again are not "heavlily"modded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOB-GQ2AS2o

This is at our premier track in Dade City where my son is in the back of the pack off the gate against National built 2strokes. No advantage... The power we have in the 150 will be on par after we mod his motor a bit for more power.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1101/2q9x7877.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

raidernut
12-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Been watching this post for a while, and thought i would chime in. My son is a multi time national champion, and tested one of the early pre-production pitsters. Buddy had never ridden a manual shifted bike prior to this session, and it was surprisingly easy for him to do. I would like to make some points on the bike from our experience during the testing.
1. Bike is not small by any means. It is probably larger than the raptor 250. So a small younger rider would have a hard time with it. It is really light, but does sit up a little higher than i would like.
2. Bike is pretty hard to kick start. The orientation of the plastics, and the way the bike kicks, does not fair well for a younger rider. My son definately could not start it.
3. Bike looks to be decently built, and i think is fairly priced for what you get.
4. The early model we tested had extremely stiff suspension, this could of been changed by now. Steering is light and very responsive.
5. Motor pulls good in all gears, although it could use some sprocket ratio changes. Very easy to shift and learn on.
6. Bike looks super cool, and my boy had a lot of fun on it.
7. Now the big question, can it beat a modded CVT bike. Well i think it would do well against the average modded CVT bike. Could it beat our HIGHLY modded 90 DRR, i doubt it.
8. This would be a good bike for GNCC or hare scrambles, but needs to be lower and wider for mx.
9. As far the comments about Tom at ATVfourplay, I dont know why you would assume the bike is no good because Tom hasnt gotten around to finishing the parts? That has no logic. Tom has first class parts, and im sure he will make the machine handle and be much more durable for MX use.
10. Overall its a cool bike, although not for the younger smaller kids.

This is a honest review of what i felt about the bike. And keep in mind it was a pre-production unit, so i dont know if pitster has addressed any of the issues and concerns i had about its performance.

greenmachine70
12-30-2009, 08:26 PM
so the quad you tested was the one with the high clearance a-arms therefore it was much narrower than the production quads?
It is good to get some info, it seems as the builder has skirted many questions and comparisons.
As for you rmodded DRR, what are we talking in cc size and engine work if you dont mind.
as for size,
Raptor 250 LxWxH = 64x42.1x40.9
wheelbase=43.7
seat heighth = 28.7

Pitsterfxr150 LxWxH= 60x45x??
wheelbase= 43
seat heighth= 29
It does set higher and it is much wider, which may make it appear bigger. Sounds like it will cause issues when lining up on a gate with DRR & Apex's
It would be nice to see Pitster address your assesment and what was improved and how.

raidernut
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes the model we rode was narrower than the production version. I believe you are correct on the height of the bike making it appear larger. the plastics make it look big as well. As far as our DRR motors, they are built by Tommy Alley at TA Porting, and are among the fastest motors in the Nation. As far as whats in them only Tommy knows the answer to that question. I just know they are damn fast.

raidernut
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Here is how a 9 year old fits on the pitster pro. Granted Buddy is a smaller racer.

raidernut
12-30-2009, 08:56 PM
another

Ride1Rob
12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by raidernut

9. As far the comments about Tom at ATVfourplay, I dont know why you would assume the bike is no good because Tom hasnt gotten around to finishing the parts? That has no logic. Tom has first class parts, and im sure he will make the machine handle and be much more durable for MX use.

1st, I was under the assumption the bike was given to them to test and they would post up the results of the test and not sit in the shop only to fabricate parts for. After 3months of no updates I did assume they were running into problems and not posting the results. Afterall, it's pretty much impossible to get answers to the many questions that Pister has dodged in the different posts in this forum so go figure... 2nd, I stated in one of my posts ATVFourplay parts are very good parts and have even stated that I have ATVFourplay arms on my quad (VERY EXPENSIVE). 3rd, The average consumer doesn't have the jack to spend on ATVFourplay arms (front and rear), Stems, Bars, Suspension, Etc... (Did I mention these parts are VERY EXPENSIVE?) TRX90 arms from ATVFOURPLAY cost more than mine did for my YFZ450. With that being said we MXed on stock Xtreme arms all last season with Elka shocks and the bike was superb. The rear was moddified a tad to give better support so I'm sure the Pitster arms will more than be sufficient as the setup is much better than the Xtreme.

Awesome writeup BTW ;) .

greenmachine70
12-31-2009, 07:40 AM
If you have any other pics of it on the track with other minis we would love to see them. My son is 11 and it appears the quad would fit him well, I am just worried it would get bumped to quad youth against ported blasters and 300ex's which would make it a waste of money for me.
I think we all want to see it lined up with the DRR & Apex, that is what the funny thing is that no one has done that yet. We dont see many Cobras down here so I could care less about the comparison of those 2. The real competition for this quad is the DRR & APex. What is out there the most. It seems as if the 125 will be allowed to run in our "stock appearing" classes and the 150 possibly in mod, but no final decision until more info is out there.

JIM GRACE
01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Raidernut, I read in Atv rider mag that the trans ratios where to close together. Do you think sproket changes and maybe tire changes will fix that.

A arms looked solid , but an aluminum swinger sounds weak.

T@AFP
01-04-2010, 07:09 AM
1st, I was under the assumption the bike was given to them to test and they would post up the results of the test and not sit in the shop only to fabricate parts for. After 3months of no updates I did assume they were running into problems and not posting the results. Afterall, it's pretty much impossible to get answers to the many questions that Pister has dodged in the different posts in this forum so go figure... 2nd, I stated in one of my posts ATVFourplay parts are very good parts and have even stated that I have ATVFourplay arms on my quad (VERY EXPENSIVE). 3rd, The average consumer doesn't have the jack to spend on ATVFourplay arms (front and rear), Stems, Bars, Suspension, Etc... (Did I mention these parts are VERY EXPENSIVE?) TRX90 arms from ATVFOURPLAY cost more than mine did for my YFZ450. With that being said we MXed on stock Xtreme arms all last season with Elka shocks and the bike was superb. The rear was moddified a tad to give better support so I'm sure the Pitster arms will more than be sufficient as the setup is much better than the Xtreme.

Awesome writeup BTW ;) .

You seem bitter for some reason.

You mention of our TRX90 parts being more expensive than your YFZ450 parts. The YFZ450 A arms are a simpler design. With more of a demand. Which helps keep the costs lower.

Our TRX90 (dual A arm conversion) has (4) +6" LT A arms, Adjustable upper A arms, A Chrome anti vibe steering stem and the internal frame which allows the TRX90 to have a QUALITY BOLT ON dual A arm conversion. More parts/less demand = MORE EXPENSIVE.

I'm sorry if you think our parts are too expensive. We try to provide a quality product at a fair price.

Tom

Ride1Rob
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
You seem bitter for some reason.

You mention of our TRX90 parts being more expensive than your YFZ450 parts. The YFZ450 A arms are a simpler design. With more of a demand. Which helps keep the costs lower.

Our TRX90 (dual A arm conversion) has (4) +6" LT A arms, Adjustable upper A arms, A Chrome anti vibe steering stem and the internal frame which allows the TRX90 to have a QUALITY BOLT ON dual A arm conversion. More parts/less demand = MORE EXPENSIVE.

I'm sorry if you think our parts are too expensive. We try to provide a quality product at a fair price.

Tom

Bitter :confused: . Where'd you get that out of me stating that the parts are expensive. I know the parts aren't cheap in any aftermarket setups for any bike. The minis that I've seen at the tracks are clearing doubles and taking brutal beatings and the stock arms (front and rear) hold up fine. In most instances it's the frames that break or snap.

As for the Pitster there are parents watching these threads wanting to get info on this bike. My sons bike is already fully built for less than the total price of the Pitster so we're good. But I am interested for a possible purchase in maybe a couple of years or so. I'd just like to get an honest answer on this bike for a possible future purchase and until Raiden posted his review there was not much information other than pics and specs. Sorry if I offended you or your company but I don't get how you felt that I was bitter :confused: . Honestly, I think I'll wash my hands of this whole Pitster issue as there is still NO footage of these bikes competing with the bikes many parents intend on racing them against (MINIS) or any kids riding/racing the bikes.

nordic quad
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I know this video has been posted on the forum before,but still it shows how the Pitster runs at a MX track with a youth rider on it.I think it has a 125cc engine in the video(if i am wrong i stand correckted)

Stein A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oVmjbWVbqI&feature=channel

greenmachine70
01-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by nordic quad
I know this video has been posted on the forum before,but still it shows how the Pitster runs at a MX track with a youth rider on it.I think it has a 125cc engine in the video(if i am wrong i stand correckted)

Stein A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oVmjbWVbqI&feature=channel
but it has no competition. Your son on the apex looks faster.

greenmachine70
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Bitter :confused: . Where'd you get that out of me stating that the parts are expensive. I know the parts aren't cheap in any aftermarket setups for any bike. The minis that I've seen at the tracks are clearing doubles and taking brutal beatings and the stock arms (front and rear) hold up fine. In most instances it's the frames that break or snap.

As for the Pitster there are parents watching these threads wanting to get info on this bike. My sons bike is already fully built for less than the total price of the Pitster so we're good. But I am interested for a possible purchase in maybe a couple of years or so. I'd just like to get an honest answer on this bike for a possible future purchase and until Raiden posted his review there was not much information other than pics and specs. Sorry if I offended you or your company but I don't get how you felt that I was bitter :confused: . Honestly, I think I'll wash my hands of this whole Pitster issue as there is still NO footage of these bikes competing with the bikes many parents intend on racing them against (MINIS) or any kids riding/racing the bikes.

Just an FYI, Rob is a close friend of mine and he has been a PROPONENT for me to get one of these thumpers and probably the biggest reason I actually wanted one. I and several others I know were watching this quad and interested in it. However the lack of info or answers with detail from the builder leaves a lot to be desired.
I dont beleive the 155z motor will run with national modded 2strokes. Our local track has given the impression that it may let this FXR150 run in the modded mini class, however the clutch presents an issue. If someone wanted to get this quad and actually see the podium in this class they would have to put a big bore and v2 head on it. So that adds another grand$ to the price and the engine reliability issue has already been raised by a national gncc "sponsored riders" dad. If you did all this and then it won and the parents of the already established CVT riders protested it would then get pushed to quad youth which is blasters/raptors with crf250 motors and modded 300ex's. I know for sure it would then not have any chance. So therefore this quad is an outsider looking in and a $3500 gamble. I am no longer willing to gamble and I have definitley moved on.
Pitster you have definitely cost yourself at least one sale and the friends I have that were looking are also getting the cold shoulder feeling from all the lack of info or willingness to put this quad on a track with the quads it will compete against.
Keep it in the gncc and enjoy the woods because I dont see this quad making it at the mx track unless a new class for this type of chinese engine is established.
I will be getting the raptor 250 and never looking back. One more season on the old DRR.

JIM GRACE
01-04-2010, 06:06 PM
but it has no competition. Your son on the apex looks faster.

I hope everyone has figured out that these quads
are ment to run against each other or other 4 strokes.

I've been intrested in these for a while and if we
get one I would know that my sons drr 90 would
walk all over it. We will see what happens for next
year.

greenmachine70
01-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
I hope everyone has figured out that these quads
are ment to run against each other or other 4 strokes.

I've been intrested in these for a while and if we
get one I would know that my sons drr 90 would
walk all over it. We will see what happens for next
year.
Funny.....according to Pitster they are meant to compete and win against $8000 quads such as the cobra........which is a 2-STROKE.
Not trying to start anything but thats is straight from the pitster site and all over planetminis forum.

As for the video of the unexperienced rider on the cobra 70 in that arena, Levi Coen definitely beat him. Kinda like racing a drr90 against a drr50. jmho

edwardsp&b
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
alright, alright, ive been reading these posts for a little while and figured i would throw in my 2cents. i like the idea of the pitster, i like the four stroke platform, and i think in a few years you wont see as many 2 strokes in the mini world like what happened to the 250r. i took a good look at a pitster at Lorretta's this year and the first thing that came to my mind was gncc. it looked to be setup for gncc and could be modded to work in mx. but you cant make me believe that it would run with a national 2 stroke the way it sits now. in time this machine will probably be very competitive, (especially with aftermarket companies parts) but as it sits, i dont see ANYONE, even the best riders in the nation, line it up at pell city and compete with the top 3 or 4 in the 70 or 90cvt classes.

davetat2
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
the pitster frame is based on the trx90 the reason it looks so big is the feders are lifted higher as far as not competing with top line apex's and drr's my son does all the time in the uk he can use a 150cc motor for mx and we use the same motor as the pitsters use with all the mods we can and to be fair a standard pitster couldn't compete but would they not race like for like after all aren't national spec apex's also very modded the one my son raced last year was and he much prefers his 4 stroke and when he moves up next year none of the auto riders will be anywhere near as they will be learning gears and he will not
last year i ran 2 prosharks (apex's) both upto your national spec and engine wise the 150 is lots less trouble maybe not as snappy in places but in the wet and up hill autos cant compete with the torque of a big 4stroke we also race enduro gncc style were we use a very very modded 125 motor and the places he lose's from power he makes up when everyone else pits for fuel
we have tryed both 2&4 strokes for over a year each and 2 strokes are the past thumpers are the way forward
this quad is a step in the right direction and until the big jap manufactures make a real quad under 450cc it will have to do .
clubs that dont want them to race may have no choice in the future so why not if they cant compete as many say what is the problem remember what happened in solo mx many said 4 strokes cant compete how many 2strokes do you see at the track now..........................sorry for the rant just give them a chance different isn't always bad:D

Ride1Rob
01-06-2010, 10:02 PM
The 150's will run with the 90's and 100's. It's the 125's that can't compete and that's what I think they're refering to. My son's stock 150 is right on par with the 100cc Drr's and Apex's. Modded over 100cc's and we need motor work to compete. AMA seems to not want to change the cc limit for the 4strokes for some reason.

edwardsp&b
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
i agree that this is a big step forward for the mini world. 4 strokes are the future. And please dont take it that im hitting on or talking crap about pitster. i commend them for what they are doing, i just dont think they can compete yet. im sure in about 5 years we will look back and say we missed the 2 strokes because there wont be any and thumpers will rule the mini ranks. when its muddy and nasty im sure that pitster would be up front, but on a wide open, well groomed track im just not sold on it yet.
if we raced more xc or gncc i would be very interested, (love to get away from the cvt's) but not yet. as for the gear changinig arguement i agree 100%. remember guys, opinions are like *******s, everybody has one!
bryan

davetat2
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
i agree about the 125's but it is possable to get about 17hp from them not sure how reliable they would be my sons 125 is all jap stuff very expensive but very reliable its basically national trx spec with manual clutch and a few extras as well we have no rules on modifing in enduro only no hybrids mx is almost the same as in the us
my son runs the only 4stroke (competitive) in the uk the main reason for this is the expense almost all parts have been sourced from the us an example of this is the fuel tank which i got from robbs race engines as mine got misplaced i paid a reasonable $50 but with shipping and duty it cost about $170 but the pitsters weren't out then or i would have had one dont get me wrong im not saying they are perfect but then what drr or apex is we have all been in the garage for more hours than we care to count its just different not for everyone but more choice can only be a good thing over here we can only race 250cc and blasters so the only new quad is the raptor no 300cc hondas allowed or we could get ltz 250's or not....lol :D

greenmachine70
01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
The biggest problem is, our race season starts next week at some tracks and the week after at the big league track. These bikes have been testing for over a year. They were suposed to be available for purchase last July. Still no pitsters except for a select few people in the US. Maybe next year for the mini riders it will be great. i would have bought one, but its too late and the lack of cooperation and information has pushed me away. I cant wait to see one and I hope they do well. Unfortunatley it wont be me.

miniquaddad90
01-08-2010, 07:57 PM
OK, been reading the Pitster stuff for months and ready to give my 2 cents. We race a modified TRX90 for XC. In our local series and some of the other XC series I follow the well built TRX90's dominate. They mainly dominate because of reliabilty. We have tons of 2 strokes that come out and very well may run a slightly faster lap time but add some mud and water and they're lucky if the make 2 laps.... The Pitster 125 would fit in in many series but the 150 just doesnt have a place in any of the series we follow or race in. Add some minor mods to the 125 and it looks like a decent out of the box quad. After buying a Honda, building a motor, dual a-arms, l/t swinger, elkas, etc....... I could have bought 2 pitsters..... Pitster focus on the 125, it just makes sense.

Pitster
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Just wanted to give you all an update on the FXR Pitster Pro ATVS'
As some of you may be aware as of April 2009 ALL ATV MUST be certified by the Consumer protection agency. USA Motorotys / Pitster Pro have delayed the official release of the FXR ATV to make sure we are 100% legal and certified with the CSPA. As you can imagine we have been working very close with the Consumer protection agency since the first of Jan 2009 to get our approval. As I am sure you could guess we expected to have the FXR certified much sooner then now. Unfortunately our approval with the CPSA has taken longer then expected. However the good news is as of last week 1-8-2010 our CSPA approval has been submitted for final a review and we expect to have our certification in the next 7 -10 days!!! Once we have the official approve we will make the announcement and the FXR's will then become available to the public and our dealers!!! We know many of you have your names on the list with dealers and bikes will be shipped ASAP.

We are very excited to finally bring these units to the market and have many aftermarket companies waiting for our good news as well, so they can finish the products they specialize in. To date we know of bumpers, nerf bars, skid plates, a-arms, of course wheels etc that will be available immediately for the FXR ATV's!! This is great news of those looking to get set up for the up coming race season!

During the last several months the FXR's has been able to be sold overseas (were the consumer protection agency certificate is not needed) So far the customers and dealers have been very pleased with the performance and we look forward to the same response from our USA dealers and customers.

We appreciate your patients and look forward to meeting more of you at the events.