PDA

View Full Version : Eichner Status

ammohog01
09-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Does anyone have any new info on how Doug Eichner is doing?

400exmom
09-29-2009, 10:14 AM
UPDATE: 9/29/2009
On Saturday, Doug Eichner spent 6 hours in surgery to repair his severely broken wrist / arm, and Eichner remains in the ICU at the Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in San Bernardino, CA.

ammohog01
09-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the update. Were you there when it happened? I don't understand how nobody saw him and tried to wave him off.

400grl
09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
From what I hear, people WERE trying to wave him off.....he probably didn't understand what they were doing. Practice is generally pretty laid back at Glen Helen....not a ton of people standing around watching - just riders who are on the track. I also understand the track was being run opposite of how it is usually run, so I can also see how someone could get on it going the wrong way.....depending where they entered the track.

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery for Doug - he's a great guy....

GWTT
09-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Doug went home yesterday from what I hear. and yes it was 6 long hours. poor guy couldnt take heavy meds due to his collapsed lung. It was a freak accident. Glen Helen Gets ran both ways depending on how they want to do it. it was going clockwise this past weekend there for mx practice. He wasnt going balls out, he just was putting up to the top looking either that the worcs X section or just the layout of the track. very sad indeed. He's my hero in my book. Its sad to see your hero fall. Its was creepy not seeing him on the pro gate sunday or his rig in the pro pits. Thank god he wore ALL his equipment! goes to show ya how lucky we all are.

ammohog01
10-01-2009, 07:51 AM
That is good to hear that he went home. He is definitely going to be a sore puppy for a few weeks. I have only had the chance to talk to him a couple of times, but both times he seems pretty cool and laid back.

F-16Guy
10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Definitely a legend in the WORCS series. I hope he gets better soon and gets right back in the mix!!

I don't know if he got on mid-track, but maybe they should have all riders enter/exit at the starting area so that there's no confusion. There were several places to get on and off the track in Phoenix, so I could see how the potential for problems is there at at least some of the tracks.

GWTT
10-03-2009, 10:07 PM
"Definitely a legend in the WORCS series. I hope he gets better soon and gets right back in the mix!!

I don't know if he got on mid-track, but maybe they should have all riders enter/exit at the starting area so that there's no confusion. There were several places to get on and off the track in Phoenix, so I could see how the potential for problems is there at at least some of the tracks."

Doug got on where everyone else gets on towards Talladaga turn. It was a freak accident. No flaggers or ambulance on practice days (says when you go thru the front gates) being a national event they should have. but Glen Helen doesn't do that. The National AMA motocross championships are all volunter flaggers (i was asked to do it) There was a guy checking rider's wrist bands and classes for proper entry. By the time the guy checking figured out Doug was heading in the wrong direction there was no chance of getting his attention with the noise of the bikes and helmet on. Its sad, but accidents happen. Its hard to say if we will see him back or not. a wrist/arm injury on the throttle side is very difficult to come back from. Levi #501 for MCR still trying to recover from his earlier in the season. Cafro messed his up and its affecting him alot too. I just hope the man can bounce back like it was nothing.