PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not disengaging need help

muddymess
09-29-2009, 02:03 AM
In the middle of a XC race my clutch cable broke but since i was in a points race I kept racing without the clutch. I bought a new oem clutch cable and when i went to put it on i noticed that even if i moved the cable adjusters all the way out it still wouldn't disengage the clutch. Because I was about to race I ended up just fabing up a metal bracket to move the attachment point back but i still have minimal clutch disengagement. Here is a picture of how far forward the clutch arm is before I feel any resistance. Could I have damaged something or is that how far its supposed to be and I was given the wrong cable. (don't mind the mud I didn't have a chance to wash it yet when I took that pic.)

http://i37.tinypic.com/29pxh1g.jpg

86 Quad R
09-29-2009, 06:38 AM
chances are something is damaged inside. tou should pull the clutch cover and inspect everything starting with the pressure and work your way to the clutch arm. does the engine have an '89 clutch update kit. if not, the first thing that comes to mind is the ball on the push rod assembly is toast.

btw: thats got to be the muddiest 250r i've ever seen. :eek: and trust me i've put mine through plenty.

Aceman
09-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
btw: thats got to be the muddiest 250r i've ever seen. :eek: and trust me i've put mine through plenty.

I'm afraid to see the radiator.....:eek:

muddymess
09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I just looked threw the repair manual and seen that ball you where talking about. Ill tear into it and take a look.

BTW i didn't think it was that muddy. Its been a lot worse. We end up having pros race like Mcgill, Sommers, Fowlar and Green so its not uncommon to have poeple fly by me and pepper me with mud.

This is a typical day.
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2568/78/26/504119013/n504119013_1537425_1409542.jpg

2-330s
09-29-2009, 10:46 AM
poor quad! last time i got a quad that dirty it was fall and the fallen leaves covered a big mud hole to my surprise as i went over the bars!!!

you buy alot of berings don't you lol:eek2:

muddymess
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 2-330s
poor quad! last time i got a quad that dirty it was fall and the fallen leaves covered a big mud hole to my surprise as i went over the bars!!!

you buy alot of berings don't you lol:eek2:

haha that last pic i posted was actually from the vary first race I ever ran. There was a lesson learned there about looking before you leap as the mud grabbed the bike and left me with a bruise on my leg that lasted for about a month. If everyone else goes around a hole you should too. that race is the only race i had nerf bars and matching plastic since they didn't survive my newbie skills

You know really I got that bike a month before I raced it. It was completely stock except for a roost boost (if that matters). The only things that iv replaced all year (12 2hr races) is its been rebuilt twice, new clutch cable, new chain and sprockets, new front shocks half way threw the year since the old ones where blown when i got it, and the carrier bearings have been replaced since when i got it you could sway the R back and forth on the axle it was so loose.