PDA

View Full Version : adjusting yfz shocks

greenskin77
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
hey guys any ideas on wich way to adjust my front shocks yfz 05 450 has bottem and topp adjustmkent .
i ride woods mostly and have them on me banshee for now
i am not sure wich screw does what

BakerRacing40
09-29-2009, 06:36 AM
hope this helps, it took a while to type up and tried to keep it basic..

screw at the top is for compression, the amount of force it takes to make the shock get shorter.

screw at the bottom is your rebound, how fast the shock want to go back to its original position.

when adjusting make sure there isn't mud and dirt and junk on the screws, don't force what isn't there- it only adjusts so far then stops, all the settings work with each other for your set up , and don't be afraid to try different things - no two people ride the same..

also don't go ballz out on your test runs get a feel for what you have done take mental notes and gradually step up your speed till your happy keep tuning, testing and taking notes! writting down what you did and what you've already tried will help a ton!

hope that helps you get started. on the shee i have no idea what settings it would like,
but on the yfz - when i did my woods stuff on the stock set up i would go to a ridding area and play with them and try to see what suited me best. i think, i think... and this set up might be junk to you, i loved it and some people that rode it didn't know how in the world i could like it at all...
on the pre-load (two nuts against the spring) with the front tires off the ground, i twisted them all the way up and then i spun them down till they started to touch and then i might have done one more round down or so, so that the spring would pretty much have no pre load....
on the compression setting ( i think there are ten clicks of adjustment) i went all the way to the soft side and then four clicks back the other way
on the rebound i pretty much set it by feel, just push down on the front bumper and see how fast it comes back up, i had mine toward the stiffer rebound side, it was pretty close to the middle of the adjustment but still on the stiffer side..

i remember when i got my shocks dialed in good, trails that i felt like i was haulin tail on and pushin the limits to the max, those trails i was usually in second and third gear and very rarely i'd hit fourth.. then i kind of got lucky and hit on a good set up with out even realizing it, the same trails as before.. now i was going in some third gear, a lot of fourth gear, and quite a bit of fifth.. it was one of the craziest rememberable moments on a quad, just by adjusting shocks it smoothed out the rough and just suited me perfect in every corner...

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SHOCKS AND THINK THAT YOUR BILL BALLANCE GOING FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! that was bad idea number one, we won't talk about bad idea number two cause it beat the shet out of bad idea number one.

greenskin77
09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
thanks for the help...
today i took it out for the frist ride and messed with the shocks for about a hour here what i did.
the pre load is about have way so i left it there for now. but i did the same run on the same hill with some bad roots and rocks basicly what i always ride in .. so one thing i notcied was when i adjust the rebound all the way to the hard side it all most stand my front end up ever time when i kept hitting the hill.. ever root i had to hit and go over the front end would hit hard and go over but as soon as your over it all sudden front end is up....
i belive to much rebound was doing this to me. so i went to softer side and way better
as for compression i didnt get to much on that yet i adjusted it few times but i couldent tell much yet still need to ride it more
i think this is going to be a pain untill i get it just rite..
i ll probly end up going with both comp. and rebound setting in the middel . i think that would be good.

maybe i am wrong but for hard turnig wouldent a hard rebound and hard compression but great for that that way rite out of the trun the bike would be strite agin and ready to gas it . or would it make it wnat to flip into the turn.
or maybe soft soft compression would be better in this case
\ i dunno a thing about shocks yet so tommerw i be ridng agin trying to get it rite .. then i have to macth my back to the front wich i have no clue lol.

BakerRacing40
09-30-2009, 05:54 AM
sounds like your headed in the right track..

if you had comp and rebound all the way up it would push like a dump truck, you gotta have some roll to it or your front tires will be like skis.. it the set up your roll center is a whole new ball game..

your rear shock can be tricky to tune, you wanna get rid of the "buck" and still have a good hook up to get all your power to the ground.. lots of time usually to get it right..