PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Bushing for 250R Steering Stem? Anyone make it?

thedeatons
09-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Just like the title said.... Anyone make a urethane replacement for our steering stem clamps?

James

destey
09-29-2009, 06:11 AM
I too am interested if there's anything out there. I've got my machine all in pieces and that's a part needing replacement.

Honda 250r 001
09-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by destey
I too am interested if there's anything out there. I've got my machine all in pieces and that's a part needing replacement.

if the one you have isint completely gone but has some slack, you can wrap black tape around the outside of the busihgn and then throw it in the holder and clamp it down and it will take the slack out, worked great for me. I thought hinson made one at one time, but there are clamps on ebay you can buy that have a good bushing.

thedeatons
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
I may call Helm Enterprises today and see if he can do it...

James

86 Quad R
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM

IcutMetl
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
When I had my 400ex, I used to do a TON of woods riding, and the 'wheeler was always getting wet and muddy. Couldn't stop the steering stem from squeaking no matter what I sprayed on it. Finally, I took the stem clamp off and took it to work, drilled a hole in it and the bushing, tig welded a small piece of hex steel on it, drilled & tapped that for a small right-angle grease zerk. A little waterproof grease, and whambo...problem solved- steering never was smoother. That being said, any local machine shop or someone with a lathe and a McMaster Carr catalog should be able to make you a nylon/teflon bushing.

thedeatons
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Talked to John at Helm Enterprises tonight. I ordered some urethane a-arm bushings from him for my Pro-Trax.

He actually used to make urethane steering stem clamp bushings. He said they were a pain to make, and never worked as well as the stock Honda bushing.

He mentioned the Hinson bushing, and said he ran into some production tolerance issues. He mentioned actually experiencing binding with a Hinson one time and having to space the clamp open to get the needed clearance.

John told me to just run the Honda bushing and be done with it....

James