PDA

View Full Version : DRR JB Racing or ATV 4 Play

doonanracing
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Recently just put together 2 DRR's for my sons. One has a complete ATV 4 play front end (a-arms,stem,bracket) with Elka shocks but used a DC long travel swingarm with a Elka rear shock. The second is a complete JB build with JB stem, swingarm, and long travel a-arms using Fox Shocks. The JB will be raced this weekend as we have used the ATV 4 play for a couple races already. Ther JB swingarm makes the DRR a couple inches longer than the DC swingarm. Really don't have any complaints with either so far. The motor in the ATV 4 Play DRR has a stock motor that was ported and build by Hetrick. The JB has a Molassi motor build by Gary from GForce. After breaking in the motor the Malossi motor put a nice smile on my 9 year son Kylers face. He stated now that is fast. Thanks Gary. I would like to thank Gary from Gforce for all his help and putting those personal touches into these projects. I really need some set up time with the Fox shocks to dial them in as have it sitting higher now than where Kyler like its as he started racing TT and seems to like the lower set up for comfort but want to wait til we take it out for some track time to dial in the shocks. Ride height actually seemed to be pretty much the same so far. The big difference was in the front a-arms was the atv 4 play front end has a tendency to toe in when in the air or dropping the suspension down where the JB front end seems to stay pretty straight just when testing it at home, although again need Kyler to ride it to get his feedback. Just thought I would share some photos which might help out anyone thinking of building. Again if you are looking to build your DRR over the winter either set up seems fine and someone like Gary from Gforce is a great guy to get some ideas.

doonanracing
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
here is a photo of the difference in length of the rear end. The front wheels where put side to side and the rear wheels where put side to side. The JB has the longer wheelbase.

doonanracing
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
JB swingarm

doonanracing
09-28-2009, 08:08 PM
JB a-arms up close

doonanracing
09-28-2009, 08:09 PM
ATV4 play a-arms

Logan #34's Dad
09-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Cool pics. The JB a-arm sure look alot like DC a-arms. Can you tell us or find out what the differences are between the JB and DC? Thanks

doonanracing
09-29-2009, 05:54 AM
JB arms where $650 compared to DC which where around $850 (same as atv 4 play) which gave me a little extra to get the stem also. DC makes great arms but it basicly came down to price and knowing JB makes great stuff and I liked the JB swingarm and wanted to match the set up on the DRR with the front to the rear as we plan on keeping this one for a while I hope. They look very similiar in design.

Andyman17dad
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I like the look you have going there!!!

Sparky D
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Looking good!! Man I wish I had a quad like that when I was there age.:cool:

WISH1965
09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Your thread is good timing. I have been researching the various arms, swingarms, shock manufacturers etc. the last two days because i may make the switch over this Winter to LT? Very interesting in talking with the shock reps as they have the mfg's Arm specs and each need diferent length shocks etc. Even the shock choice is interesting, different answers depending on who you talk with. I will be very interested in hearing your forthcoming feedback.

As for G Force, he gets my vote for great service. :)

JIM GRACE
09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Cool pics. The JB a-arm sure look alot like DC a-arms. Can you tell us or find out what the differences are between the JB and DC? Thanks

I have heard they are lighter, the ball joints
are much smaller.

drxracing
09-29-2009, 11:11 PM
have you guys seen the z bros racing suspension works very well

QuadJunkies
09-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Just curious what the offset is on the front wheels in those pics??

doonanracing
09-30-2009, 05:54 AM
off set for wheels on atv 4 play front end I have 4x1 with one on outside and 4 inside using ITP 10x5 rims, and on the JB using 2x3 offset Douglas wheels with 2 on outside and 3 inside

rmuscle
09-30-2009, 05:56 AM
we have the jb arms with fox floats and my kid loves them so far

Coley'sdad#8
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
logans dad #34
The JB's are quite similar to DC's but Dave has a vertical sleeve welded on the end which is the housing for his ball joints, He machines his own urethane upper and lower caps and spins his ball and pin out of stainless. This gives this setup a long range of motion without having radial bind in the ball joint which will cause breakage. I have the 1st 09 that dave built upper A's for and i was having trouble getting the -3 deg. camber out of the adjustment and this is when the adjustable turnbuckle came about in Dave's uppers which gives you all kinds of adjustment without breaking the a loose from frame again. I am sure these are all very fine tested parts though. Dave has helped me with replacement parts from wrecks and wears and appreciates the R&D input. JMO

QuadJunkies
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by doonanracing
off set for wheels on atv 4 play front end I have 4x1 with one on outside and 4 inside using ITP 10x5 rims, and on the JB using 2x3 offset Douglas wheels with 2 on outside and 3 inside

Ok thanks. It must have just been the angle of the one shot ,it looked like a dif. offset. My sons DRR he used to have also has a 4/1 offset but looked sucked in more .

gorideorgohome
10-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Gotta trim those guards down on the Floats.