PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

400exmodman
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I got my 400 put back together today and fired it up hopped on pulled the clutch in shifted into first to take off and the clutch wasnt engaged. Adjusted the cable and it didnt help. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

dariusld
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
When you look down at the engine, can you see the clutch arm moving back and forth? Is there tension when pulling the clutch lever and does it feel like it normally does? I'm guessing you didn't put it back together right. Did you have the clutch cover off?

400exmodman
09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I had the clutch cover off and made sure the arm caught the shaft on the pressure plate when i put it back on. At first i thought it was the cable but i took a pair of pliers and turned the arm and it still wouldnt engage.

dariusld
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Is there tension when you pull the lever. Did you have the clutch apart?

400exmodman
09-29-2009, 05:31 AM
There is tension on the lever and i did have the clutch apart. The lever had a good bit of play in it but i adjusted it out and it still didnt engage the clutch.

BakerRacing40
09-29-2009, 05:45 AM
not sure on your problem man... but lets see what we can do.. so you say wasn't engaged, so you put it gear and go no where or it's like you never pulled in on the clutch?

i do know the clutch on my 400 is stiff as heck, i have been wondering how much travel are you supposed to have at the clutch arm on the engine? there's no just clickin the gears, you pretty much have to use the clutch every shift, every time.. which suck for me since i'm so use to the yfz..

not wanting to jack your thread in any way, just need a little info also.. thanks

400exmodman
09-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Its like i never pulled in the clutch. Mine is pretty stiff so im thinking its time for new springs and clutch but just wanted to check on here for any ideas before i did anything.

BakerRacing40
09-29-2009, 07:47 AM
how far apart did you have the clutch tore down? was the clutch basket grooved up or clutch plates worn?

when you put it together,
did you put you plates in right- start with a fiber and end with a fiber, alternating fiber metal fiber metal fiber...

didn't loose anything or leave a plate out or something?

did you torque the bolts that go through the clutch springs and hold the pressure plate on?

did you have the cases split or anything like that?

here's a parts exploded view of the clutch, not sure how big its going to show up?
take a look and think about when you put it together, did i have that, touch it, felt it, smelt it, or just threw the extra pieces out the door? lol

400exmodman
09-29-2009, 09:17 AM
I only had the clutch basket off. The clutch is in right fiber first and alternating. The last fiber does go into the seperate grooves on the basket correct? I didnt torque the spring bolts couldnt find a spec in the manual for them so i just tightened them all a little at a time and snugged them up. the clutch plates looked good and the basket didnt have any grooves in it.

Honda#4
09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I had a clutch problem close to what your saying and it turns out that I put that little bearing on the wrong side of the clutch lifter pin. I would look at that cuz its something that can very easy be overlooked.

400exmodman
09-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I just pulled the clutch back apart and everything looks to be put together right. Stupid question though are the spring bolts on the pressure plate supposed to be tightened all the way down?

Honda#4
09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
There suppose to be snug.

400exmodman
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Another stupid question is the inner hub supposed to turn freely of the outer hub? I unstaked the nut and pulled everything apart but the manual says to torque the center clutch nut to 80 ft. lbs. When i do this the whole thing turns as no matter what.

Honda#4
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Without a clutch holder tool it will be hard to torque the nut back. I bought my clutch holder at Magic Racing.

http://www.magicracing.com/Motion-Pro-Clutch-Holding-Tool_p_5072.html

killer400ex
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
put it in gear or use a impact wrench, just as long as its on snug enough then just use a punch to hit the lip of the nut into the groove on the shaft, that will lock it in place

400exmodman
10-01-2009, 05:25 AM
I got it working finally. I left out the thrust washer that goes between the basket and the housing. I have a clutch holder so it wasnt a big deal. Thanks for the help.

dariusld
10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 400exmodman
I got it working finally. I left out the thrust washer that goes between the basket and the housing. I have a clutch holder so it wasnt a big deal. Thanks for the help.

Didn't you notice that when you had extra parts at the end?

I think you would of figured this one out without us:)

400exmodman
10-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I guess i shouldve specified that i bought this thing in pieces and there wasnt any thing extra when i was done. I had to go to the honda shop and get one. Didnt realize there needed to be a thrust washer till BakerRacing40 posted the evploded view of the clutch. Thanks BakerRacing40.