PDA

View Full Version : tips on engine removal/replacement

craigmacphee
09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Ok guys, going to try the biggest mechanical move ever for me. I am a handy kind of guy, but have not always been the most mechanical. But....I can catch on, and as most of you know, am not afraid to ask questions. LOL

Anyway, I am looking at removing my motor, shipping it out to have it modded, then replacing it back in the frame. (Hopefully without a bunch of left over nuts and bolts...LOL)

I have the service manual and it looks like a LOT of steps. Some look to be kind of un-necessary. Does anyone with the manual have any idea which steps I can skip? I'm sure there are faster ways to take it out.

The MOST important thing is being able to get it back in to the chassis without any problems. I am going to try doing this without my friends help (I race against them and they all have full race LTR450's). I want to keep it all a surprise for them. I'm sure you guys can sense my eagerness to surprise.

So...any tips, tricks, silly things that might help make my job easier?

THANKS A MILLION IN ADVANCE. Craig

BSTURDIVANT
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Remove all obvious-fuel inj line, (push black clip down with thumb and pull to remove),wiring, oil and oil lines, antifreeze and hoses,
intake manifold (2 bolts),swing arm bolt- (leave sticking through 1 side of swingarm and frame), and left side frame rail. When everything is loose, lift engine up and rotate bottom out first!-reinstall with top in first! easier to get oil lines in if you remove the oil tank bolts and shove tank forward!