PDA

View Full Version : New project soon starting

Pappy
09-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, we have a project that is well into the planning stages and will begin shortly.....

It will be for the 2010 GNCC series and will be built completely from scratch with no donor quad. This one is going from the parts bin to the starting line.

I figured i would ask for you to build the ultimate Honda 450r<---yep it will be a Honda---and see what you think it will cost. Remember, we have ZERO parts to start with. Post the parts list and the expected overall budget and we will see at the end who came closest.

Operation Junk Yard Dawg is officially underway!

ex kid
09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Ars-Fx stem, swingarm, front end and linkage
Custom Axis Ti spring fronts hi/low speed
Custom Axis Dual rate hi/low speed rear
Tag bars and grips
tireballs
Maxxis tires
works connection clutch perch
percison stabilizer
sparks pipe
HRC kit
IMS tank with dry break
RPM axle and antifade
Roll pegs and heelguards
Hertz- pivot bolt, block off, case saver, air box lifter and carrier
D.I.D. chain
Quad Tech seat and hood
PRM belly skid
Ars-Fx swinger skid
Pro Design kill switch
AC stadium bumper

$13,000

Guy400
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by ex kid
Ars-Fx stem, swingarm, front end and linkage
Custom Axis Ti spring fronts hi/low speed
Custom Axis Dual rate hi/low speed rear
Tag bars and grips
tireballs
Maxxis tires
works connection clutch perch
percison stabilizer
sparks pipe
HRC kit
IMS tank with dry break
RPM axle and antifade
Roll pegs and heelguards
Hertz- pivot bolt, block off, case saver, air box lifter and carrier
D.I.D. chain
Quad Tech seat and hood
PRM belly skid
Ars-Fx swinger skid
Pro Design kill switch
AC stadium bumper

$13,000 Where's the motor, frame, wiring harness, etc.?

Pappy said he's starting at absolute ZERO with no donor quad...

rollie
09-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Houser MGC LT a-arms
Elka shocks
Hipers
razr IIs
stock frame/guesseted powercoated
450R motor
HMF Exhuast

With mostly used parts im gonna guess

$7,500

Pappy
09-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Rollie has the idea....

barter, trade, buy used, sponsorship you name it we intend to use it.

JParisi48
09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
i dont have a clue about xc quads but im gunna have to guess 6500 if you find the cheapest way out starting from scratch, i cant wait to see the beast!!

matt14c
09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
You will have to factor in someone powder coating the parts and shipping as well! :devil:

MX450
09-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Im pretty sure he has a guy that does powder coating lol

quadrcr161
09-28-2009, 09:35 PM
hmm, untimate or ultimate budget? with your connections it would be a lot different then the adverage joe like me building one.

Pappy
09-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Well my budget is less then dirt. It should be an interesting build

Quad18star
09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
$159.99 plus applicable taxes. ..... Head to WalMart buy a power wheels LTR battery quad ... a can of red spray paint ..... and a few Honda stickers .

So I'm gunna put down $205 .:devil:

400exrider707
09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
We built an 04 bike up and made it into an MX bike. We paid $1500 for the whole quad with busted engine cases, then ended up building it from the frame up.

We ended up with around $6500 into it including the cost of the wheeler and it was pretty well built.

Its hard to say in this case, because you will have sponsorships as well.

Are you doing LT front and rear? Its hard to gauge...

Are you planning on buying a wheeler maybe in rough condition and then tearing it down and building it up? That's the best route I think, because then you have everything you need and you dont end up getting nickled and dimed for all those little odds and ends that no one thinks about on these quads.

Pappy
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
We will be starting off by purchasing a used frame and such.....other then that we have no idea where it will end up. We have no clue whether any companies will be willing to help or what parts we will be able to buy used

The biggest sponsor of this so far is a shop that sells alot of salvage and used parts so thats is where we will begin.

400exrider707
09-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
We will be starting off by purchasing a used frame and such.....other then that we have no idea where it will end up. We have no clue whether any companies will be willing to help or what parts we will be able to buy used

The biggest sponsor of this so far is a shop that sells alot of salvage and used parts so thats is where we will begin.

Why not find a beat up whole quad? I think its just a lot easier and cheaper in the long run.

I too have always wanted to buy just a frame and build it up, but I'm almost certain in the long run it will cost more $ and take a lot more time. I should start a new thread with the buildup we did on our 04 bike to show how that went as well. We bought a beat up quad that would barely even run and didn't drive when we got it, then spent a couple months on the forums buying parts from users on here and other forums and building it up for MX.

Pappy
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Because I dont want junk, buying from the parts bin will allow me to fully inspect every part, know what needs bearings or attention etc. Then it will complete the article that will accompany the build process.

Keep in mind I get paid to do these articles and such so buying a junker to start off with costs me time in the process and I end up with parts that have little to no value that I have to sell or trash etc.

Ground up should mean ground up:p

BakerRacing40
09-29-2009, 05:22 AM
i can't wait to see this... pappy are you going to pretty much coat everything or you going to leave some natural finishes on it? so whats your thought so far?.. tell us! paint us a picture! lol

extremeblastr
09-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
paint us a picture!

paint us a picture? why isn't done yet i want pics of everything!!! i'm salivating over what this build can look like with pappy doing the work.

ATVMX33
09-29-2009, 07:42 AM
my next quad is hopefully going to be built that way

Pappy
09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
i can't wait to see this... pappy are you going to pretty much coat everything or you going to leave some natural finishes on it? so whats your thought so far?.. tell us! paint us a picture! lol

I want white fenders with a black chassis...Cody wants red and black so we are still mulling over the colors.

I will start a thread that will remained closed so that it will flow and we can discuss it in here if needed.

Another reason I wanted to do a ground up build was so that I can show folks what to look for in used parts. For every member that knows, there are a million that dont and even though alot of the build may seem basic, it will be a new learning deal for folks that dont.

fastredrider44
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
What year motor and frame are you planning on building? Are you going to buy a complete motor or just build one? Are you accepting donations or on the build sheet is everything going to be priced for what its worth?

Last but not least, what can I sell ya? I gots the parts!:p

Scro
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I've got my trans blue frame. Might need to bent back, but could be had for cheap :p

Pappy
09-29-2009, 03:29 PM
44- The engine will be built ...mildly but built and pretty sure it will be an 04-05

Scro....You stay away from this...no need for your tree bashing to creep in to it in its early stages, it might develop bad habits hahahaha!:blah:

Scro
09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
lol

ex kid
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
44- The engine will be built ...mildly but built and pretty sure it will be an 04-05

Scro....You stay away from this...no need for your tree bashing to creep in to it in its early stages, it might develop bad habits hahahaha!:blah:

for that stuff i didn't metion all stock 450R parts.

04/05 motor is your best best. kicker and the tranny isn't garbage like the the newer ones. just watch your crank bearings

Pappy
09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Its been awhile...here is the one of the last ones I built for myself

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130859&highlight=pappy

fastredrider44
09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
So what can I sell ya?:p

Pappy
09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
So what can I sell ya?:p

All thats been arranged...I wouldnt go into a project quad with out having most of it ready to go:p The bigger items is all thats left, but you will have to read the articles to see it come together:devil:

fastredrider44
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Will that be posted in the open forum?

Dave400ex
09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Pap do you have the suspension/chassis nailed down?

If not, I would seriously look at the GT Thunder setup. A-arms, stem, linkage, HLS front and rear.

Contact Toby at Moto-Xperts maybe he would be interested in helping with the project.

You could buy mine, then I could build another show bike? :D

Pappy
09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
The rear will be a stock swinger with an afetrmarket shock and one of the aftermarket links...

Front hasnt been nailed down yet...it will depend on what we can come across.

ZBlaster
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
MMMMM I considered doing this. This would be my idea of the perfect XC quad...

-Stock Frame + Subframe- gussetted and powdercoated of course.
-Stock bore, high compression piston, HRC cam, superfinished Hot Rods crank, slight porting, Xceldyne valves, CV4 valvetrain components
-Rekluse Z-Start Pro, Rekluse basket, Rekluse plates
-HMF Sport Series full system
-JT Sprockets, D.I.D. chain
-TM Designworks rollers
-Braking rotors, stock calipers, EBC pads
-LSR sprocket and rotor hubs
-Stock Honda hubs
-HiPers front and rear
-21" RAZR2 fronts, grooved 20" RAZR rears, tireballs
-ARS/FX A-arms, swingarm, linkage, stem
-Fox Float fronts, Podium rear... valved by Quinn Motorsports
-PRM Summit bumper
-AC wide grab bar
-AC chassis skid
-GTThunder sprocket and rotor guard
-Fasst Co flexx bars
-Cycra Pro Bends with mounts for the flex bars
-Oury grips
-ASV perches/levers
-Streamline cables
-Pro Design shifter
-Stock brake pedal
-Maier fenders
-IMS oversized tank with quickfill
-Precision Pro stabilizer
-Quadtech hump seat
-WhiteKnuckle custom graphics
-IMS pegs, heelguards, nerfs
-Twin Air filter
-CV4 hoses

That's mostly how I'd build one... if money was no object haha.

wvspeedfreak
09-29-2009, 06:47 PM
This is the kind of stuff I love!!I am looking forward to this.

fastredrider44
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I think I'm bout to build another myself. Never done a build thread. Might have to take the time to do one sometime.

Pappy
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
This is the kind of stuff I love!!I am looking forward to this.

Good to know, since your going to do the LTR project haha

Pappy
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I think I'm bout to build another myself. Never done a build thread. Might have to take the time to do one sometime.

Get crackin!

wvspeedfreak
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I have a 440ex project I am working on (which is a ground up,start from scratch deal),I am project supervisor on Matt's 275R build LOL and I will be stripping Austin's Raptor 250 down to install the Lonestar frame soon............The LTR job should fit in there nicely :D

It beats working on all these old beat down Moto-4's I have had a run on lately :p

Tommy Warren
09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
is it done yet? I hate waiting for stuff like this. I know its just gonna be mint. Good luck with it and I hope this one doesn't set your dog on fire:D

Pappy
09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
I have a 440ex project I am working on (which is a ground up,start from scratch deal),I am project supervisor on Matt's 275R build LOL and I will be stripping Austin's Raptor 250 down to install the Lonestar frame soon............The LTR job should fit in there nicely :D

It beats working on all these old beat down Moto-4's I have had a run on lately :p

Youve got some time...he wont let the LTR come apart until its too cold to ride lol

wvspeedfreak
09-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Youve got some time...he wont let the LTR come apart until its too cold to ride lol

LOL,Just let me know.I am always up for this stuff.

ZBlaster
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
So who wants to fund, and build my 2010 XC quad :D

300racer
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
i have a better idea! why don't you take my quad and fix everything that is wrong with it with used parts and make it look good agian and write about that! :D
but if you go the other route let me know when you are selling it!:blah:

250r rider 88
10-01-2009, 06:28 AM
link to the build thread?

ATVMX33
10-04-2009, 02:58 PM
question....

how much do you think it would cost to build a solid 450r for A class mx this way...getting a used frame and motor??

thanks!

got that build thread yet??

flammable
10-05-2009, 02:09 AM
bet ull do it under 2300

justin1022
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Its been awhile...here is the one of the last ones I built for myself

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130859&highlight=pappy

hey man how do you manage to pay for that? i went threw the thread and you had like 3 different pipes diffferent plastics and all kinds of different parts. isnt it expensive ha.

Pappy
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
My wife is a stripper.

I will keep everyone posted once we start the project...right now time is short and being used to make what money I can:p

Quad18star
10-05-2009, 07:43 PM
My wife is a stripper.

Pics or else I call BS.:p

Pappy
10-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Pics or else I call BS.:p

well if i told them we work our asses off they would complain or cry haha

Quad18star
10-05-2009, 08:18 PM
well if i told them we work our asses off they would complain or cry haha

LOL.

"Hunny I need $400 for a new pipe .... go put in a few dances at the giggly room"
Ahhh that would be great. :blah:

justin1022
10-06-2009, 07:05 AM
My wife is a stripper.

I will keep everyone posted once we start the project...right now time is short and being used to make what money I can:p

i was just curious you dont have to be a *** about it.

mooseracerX
10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Pappy, you know that frame I bought from you? That was the building block of my project. I'm building my 2010 MX quad from the ground up. Although I started with a dirt bike instead of a quad. We robbed a few critical parts off of that and I'm finding others cheap on here and fleabay. The only think we're going to run into that is a budget breaker is the shocks.
For your build I will say about $5,000 because that's about what I'm estimating for mine lol.

Quad18star
10-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by justin1022

Usually when people build things ... they pay for it out of their pocket through the hard work they do.

Unless you win the lottery or your wife is a peeler, most everyone works for what they have.

Pappy
10-06-2009, 08:20 AM

Its called a sense of humor:p Greg has it, others get it, you need it:blah:

Quad18star
10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Its called a sense of humor:p Greg has it, others get it, you need it:blah:

I'm still waiting on the pics Pappy.

I need my "this thread is worthless without pics" little smilie thingy.

:blah:

justin1022
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahahahaahahha ahahhaahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaa hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahah ahahaahahhaahahhaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha hahhahahahahahaahahhaahahhaahahahhahahaahahahahaha hahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha hahahaahahahahhahahahahahaahahhaahahhaahahahhahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahahaahhaha haahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahaha

thats sooooooooooooo funny

Pappy
10-06-2009, 05:33 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahahahaahahha ahahhaahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaa hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahah ahahaahahhaahahhaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha hahhahahahahahaahahhaahahhaahahahhahahaahahahahaha hahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha hahahaahahahahhahahahahahaahahhaahahhaahahahhahaha ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahahaahhaha haahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaahahahahahaha

thats sooooooooooooo funny

I believe the younger crowd would say.....

Epic Fail:blah:

mooseracerX
10-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I am younger and I would have to agree.

powermadd400ex
10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
I am younger and I would have to agree.

word

Tommy Warren
10-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Oh snap!!

Quad18star
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Or ....pwned :huh :confused:

Pappy
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey...my dad told me to"F-them if they cant take a joke" so I will run with that:D

The only update I have right now is that I am actually getting more support then I initially thought. Not sure where this thing will end up now:p

Quad18star
10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Hey...my dad told me to"F-them if they cant take a joke" so I will run with that:D

The only update I have right now is that I am actually getting more support then I initially thought. Not sure where this thing will end up now:p

I told you this thing would only cost you a few hundred. Just declare me the winner now ... that way you avoid having to search through 300 pages to see who the closest really was. :p

Mxjunkie
10-08-2009, 05:47 AM
I think I'm feeling a 250r build :devil:

wishmasstir
10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I think I'm feeling a 250r build :devil:

hmmmm I might of ... sort of ... tossed around the idea of building another one http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246155

I love these build threads ... looking forward to seeing it get built

BakerRacing40
01-10-2010, 03:43 PM
ya i know it took a decent sized shovel to dig this out of the past, but i was wondering what happened to the build or am i a tard and never caught the new thread? i just hope pappy's Alzheimers didn't kick in and make him forget about it... :D