PDA

View Full Version : kibblewhite valves

kfx400rider03
09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
when u install kibble white valves do you realy need to instal the kibblewhite valve springs???
valves are pretty cheap but the springs arent sence i only need intake valves and springs

eastside 400
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
no you dont have to, the valves are stock replacement pretty much. only time you need the springs is if you put a large cam in such as a web or custom grind. i would suggest to stay away from the KW valves though. they break alot, get a set of ferrea.

kfx400rider03
09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
do they realy breaak?? cause i never heard of that before. i thought kibblewhites where pretty good valves.

KXRida
09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
no you dont have to, the valves are stock replacement pretty much. only time you need the springs is if you put a large cam in such as a web or custom grind. i would suggest to stay away from the KW valves though. they break alot, get a set of ferrea.

I wouldn't put anything but KW's or pro circuits in a honda. I've only heard of very very few KW's breaking. If you valve springs are worn out, it'd be a good idea to replace them, but if they're all within spec you're good. I still usually replace everything.

Guy400
09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Anytime you swap a cam in anything I'd have the valve springs checked.

eastside 400
09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
go to trx450r.org, look at all the horry stories on there from KW valves. i would have no reason to give false info to you, KW valves break, ive seen them break personally with close to no hours on them, ive read about them breaking. but if thats what you want then get them. Ferrea's are the same price so i dont see why you wouldnt want them. Procircuit valves are like 400 bucks for 2 valves and are titanium. they are probably CV4 valves, if you are putting springs on just use stock springs because you will loose power with the KW spring if you just have a HC1 or 2 or a CRF HRC cam in it. the KW springs will also pound your valves harder causing them to wear out quicker. ive built a bunch of TRX motors now and ive been racing them for 4 years, for race motors i use Ti valves and copper seats and guides but for my practice motors and cheap builds i usually stick with stock valves on 04-05 motors becuase they are pretty good valves. if not stock i would use ferrea valves.

KXRida
09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
A valve will usually bend before it breaks. If it breaks that's usually indicative of engine failure else where. I've ran plenty of KW valves in my bikes. Most of the bike scene is running them too, especially in the CRF's. I can't complain about the yami though, the stock Ti valves are still in spec and have yet to be adjusted. Honda's have more valve seat/head issues than valve issues. The valves suck down in the heads causing the engine failure. Copper seats are the way to go.

kfx400rider03
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
everyone is talking about hondas but i have a suzuki ltr450 2008. and yeah im gonna run the stock cam for now but when i do change the came i have to change the springs? even if i only run a hot cam stage 1 or maybe 2?

witech
09-28-2009, 08:20 PM
KW used to be good valves but it looks like since they switched to china blanks the metalurgy went to crap.

kfx400rider03
09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
so it seems like i shouldnt get kibblewhite valves any more???
what valves should i get then??? with in the price range of KW valves...

400exrider707
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm on the ORG as well and I'd still run KW valves...

Ferrera is also a great brand.

If you have it apart that far, spend the money and replace the valve springs anyways, even if you use OEM again.

Valve springs should definitely be changed if you use a Ti valve instead of the OEM SS, or vice versa. If you're switching from one to the other, buy the correct valve springs as the weight of the valves will be different and react differently with the springs.