PDA

View Full Version : building a race motor

craigmacphee
09-28-2009, 09:43 AM
I am looking at having some porting work, cams, and a 14:1 piston installed. I talked with Charlie Rossier today and I was very impressed with him after our conversation. Has anyone else here used them or their services in the past? Thanks, Craig

mebcop
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by craigmacphee
I am looking at having some porting work, cams, and a 14:1 piston installed. I talked with Charlie Rossier today and I was very impressed with him after our conversation. Has anyone else here used them or their services in the past? Thanks, Craig

Talk to yfzracer14...... he had all that done through Charlie.... I think he's pretty happy with it, he recommended it to me

Charlie sure does seem to know what he's talking about, i've talked to him a few times

xrxmxcx
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Personally I would stick to 13:1, or 13.5:1. Much more than reliability goes down. We spoke with a few engine builders including Rossier and most seem that a 13:1 is more than enough, and all the potential of these machines is in the porting/epoxy of the cylinder head.

Lynch01ex
09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I know this isnt a DS but i know a couple guys with trx 450rs that sent motors to rossier and couldnt be happier. Just my 2 cents

craigmacphee
09-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will definitely give those pistons a good look. Craig

Blizzard24
09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Not to take anything away from Rossier but Motoworks seems to have these quads dialed in. The Motoworks riders have had very reliable power all season i the WORCS seris, Zimmerman, Warnia and Fredricks have not had DNF's due to engine issues. I believe Johnny has figured these out.

the same cant be said for some of the other engine builders.

craigmacphee
09-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Man, those are both some real heavy hitters! Johnny has been very good to me with my exhaust. Twice! :) I know my money won't make or break him at all, but I think it would only be fair to give him a call and see what he has to offer. Thanks for the suggestion. Craig

TNT
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I've heard from a couple of engine builders it's a good idea on new motors like 09 after a while to split the cases and clean the screen at the bottom since it accumilates alot of engine particles when filtering oil. Once you do they run alot longer. Dee from Rage told me that so did Warnert and another guy we work w/personally. We're doing ours this week among other things.

Dee from Rage is excellent too. Him, Warnert, and the guy's at Motoworks have the most experience I'd say. I think we were the first to take the big bore this far, not sure yet how it does bike has not ran since lol but if we don't get it soon I'm going back to 450 and a new builder maybe stroker or thought about a new quad lol but after listening to one guy that replaces 3rd gear every weekend in a LTR we shouldn't complain.....that suck split cases every weekend. And whats interesting is 3rd on the LTR has been going out since last year they redesigned it this year and it did nothing! Sounds to me like the layout of the motor is the problem maybe.

2-330s
09-29-2009, 05:50 AM
i live in wisconsin about 1/2 an hour from rossier. i was looking at building a trx450r did some shopping around and for the same price that joe wanted for just the motor work baldwin would polish and back cut my tranny also. i race with alot of motors that joe builds and they are fast. food for thought.

craigmacphee
09-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure whoever does the work cleans out the bottom of the motor.

I did talk with Warnert the other day while ordering some parts and the guy I was talking to told me Rage does all of their head work. So I figured the 2 of them are connected.

As far as the LTR's, hopefully we can keep that info for another topic. I've dealt with them enough this year. :)

I'm thinking when I get my quad to the level these guys (Any of the 3 mentioned) can take me, it will be like splitting C hairs. I know I need a boost in the low-mid end and am willing to spend what it takes to do it.

Thanks again, Craig