PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

chayes627
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I tried searching and couldn't find anything. Has anyone removed their thermostat? If i do, is there anyway to still have the fan and overheat light? If not is there any alternatives i.e. lower temp thermostat, just a temp sensor, whatever the dirtbikes have.
Thanks, Clayton

coryatver
09-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by chayes627
I tried searching and couldn't find anything. Has anyone removed their thermostat? If i do, is there anyway to still have the fan and overheat light? If not is there any alternatives i.e. lower temp thermostat, just a temp sensor, whatever the dirtbikes have.
Thanks, Clayton

if you ground the thermostat wire the fan will run all the time.

I know lots of people that race xc run without a thermostat in. It takes the quad longer to warm up but it is one less thing to worry about going bad.

Some people say that the thermostat is needed to slow the water down through the radiator so it has time to cool but this is not true. The thermostat controls the minimum water temp not the max.

300ex mxracer
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
The thermostat is used to regulate the flow through the radiator. Without some sort of restriction the coolant with flow through the radiator too fast and will not get cooled down enough. This goes for cars. I would assume the same for the quads.

d3ktrix
09-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Removing it will not lower the peak temp of the engine.
The thermostat being fully opened when the bike is at proper operating temps will yield the same temps as having no thermostat at all.
It will just take longer to warm up and the engine might not get up to proper temps during cold weather.

Removing it is pointless IMO.
Unless like coryatver said, ur worried about it going bad.

300ex mxracer
09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
O know on our modified that w/o the thermostat it would overheat

chayes627
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
right i agree with all of you. but why dont dirtbikes have them? i wouldnt want the fan on all the time. i also agree about it not lower the peak temp, but it will lower the overall average temp.

d3ktrix
09-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by chayes627
but it will lower the overall average temp.

Even if that is true, it is not desired. An engine makes peak HP at the temp the thermostat is designed to keep it at.
Once the engine reaches that temperature, the thermostat is fully opened and then we are back to the same "peak temps are the same with or without the thermostat".

That is why when you bring your bike to be dyno tuned they do multiple passes to heat soak the engine before even taking readings.
If "colder was always better" then no one would ever warm there bikes up before races or dynoing it.

Also, if an engine takes longer to warm up, that is more time the engine is running before the metals properly expand and create the correct tolerances.

300racer
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
if you take your thermostat out can i have it?:devil: i took mine out to make it run cooler and lost it and now with out it my 450r overheats if i am going slow or just playing around. now im looking to get one.

Sjorge450R
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
^^^ service Honda buddy. they are pretty cheap.

I had made a thread on this a ways back and after hearing from some experienced people, i quickly threw the idea out the window and now i dont even think about it. I do though plan on replacing the thermostat when i do my top end. Just a precautionary thing

desratt
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't run one and never over heat. but I also use a nacs radiator, with no fan either. I sugest not lugging it around though.. the thermostat on these don't slow the water when openned.. the flow rate of the water is controlled by your rpm's (gear driven waterpump)

Ruf Racing
10-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Why do people want to **** with a well designed coolant system?
The thermostat works perfectly. I ride in the deep of hot South Florida. With the thermostat installed the bike warms up fairly quick, and operates at a constant 200 degrees riding XC. Never would I consider running without one. :macho

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/RideRed187/450R%20Pics/Ruthspics3.jpg

300ex mxracer
10-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by desratt
I don't run one and never over heat. but I also use a nacs radiator, with no fan either. I sugest not lugging it around though.. the thermostat on these don't slow the water when openned.. the flow rate of the water is controlled by your rpm's (gear driven waterpump)

Doesn't the thermostat act as a restriction? slowing the flow of water.

pro-rider46
10-06-2009, 09:20 PM
just to set a few people straight, a thermostat has absolutely nothing to do with it overheating, or lowering or increasing max temperature(if thats your prob. its something else). the thermostat is a bi-metal spring that controls a valve, when its cold it lets the coolant run through just the motor, it warms it up fast in the cold months. once it gets to a temperature the bi-metal spring changes shape and opens the valve. this lets the coolant flow through the radiator to cool then. in the summer months it doesnt normally matter if you have one in or not. but when its cool, make sure you let the quad fully warm up before beating on it.

chad502ex
10-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
Why do people want to **** with a well designed coolant system?
The thermostat works perfectly. I ride in the deep of hot South Florida. With the thermostat installed the bike warms up fairly quick, and operates at a constant 200 degrees riding XC. Never would I consider running without one. :macho

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/RideRed187/450R%20Pics/Ruthspics3.jpg

^^^ sweet!

300ex mxracer's first post is as accuate as it can be... well said!

Ruf Racing
10-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, the bike is a blast Chad. At Christmas time I'll get the Web.
:macho