PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting

white tails
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
i was out bow hunting tonight and stuck a doe at about 25 yards. we are going out in the morning to look for her. i have a feeling its going to be a long sleepless night.

BakerRacing40
09-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Were you spot lighting or just shoot at dusk? Thirty mins after sun rise and thirty mins before sun set is the law here.. I've never let one lay over night, something would eat it long before I would be able to get back to it.. But good luck on finding her..

KXRida
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm ready for our season to start this coming saturday!

ZeroLogic
09-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by KXRida

Same for up here! To bad I'm going samlon fishing. Looks like I'll just have to go the saturday after!

jesseweaver
09-28-2009, 01:34 PM

yup, i got a good spot, been seeing quite a bit around there. weather doesn't look too great though :ermm:

wckedclownz69
09-28-2009, 01:53 PM
ya i cant wait.... then cant wait till muzzleloader.....

JParisi48
09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
i almost died the first time i shot a muzzleloader, i shot it and it was a dud, so i waited like ten seconds, and then went to go lay it on the ground away from everything and as soon as it took it off my shoulder......booomm!!!

ben300
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JParisi48
i almost died the first time i shot a muzzleloader, i shot it and it was a dud, so i waited like ten seconds, and then went to go lay it on the ground away from everything and as soon as it took it off my shoulder......booomm!!!

thats one of the reasons why i do not muzzle loader hunt..

several years ago, before my old man retired from the pa state police, he had a case where a guy died from shooting himself with a muzzle loader flint lock hand gun....some guys wife bought it for him for christmass, he took it outside to shoot it for his wife and kids. wife was filming. he went to shoot, but it it didnt go off, what he didnt realize is that it may take several seconds for the powerder inside to light....he reared the thing around to look down the barrel to see if there was something in it...when he did, it went off....end of story..

ben300
09-28-2009, 04:48 PM
..i want to correct that..i will not hunt with a flint lock style muzzle loader....

KXRida
09-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Spotted out a nice 10 point and 8 point this morning well within bow range. I'm ready!!!!

zero logic, where you going? You do steelheads at all?

TCracin440ex
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
im waiting on rifle season. we just had our land logged a few weeks ago and the logger told me he scared up a 14pt buck layin behind my house in the brush..he said he got up and ran but he aint run far. so his *** is mine when rifle season gets here...nobody hunts my land either...imma throw some corn out there and a block as well...imma see bout borrowing my buddys trail cam to see if i can see him but if i see him in person his *** as good as on the wall!!

ZeroLogic
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Spotted out a nice 10 point and 8 point this morning well within bow range. I'm ready!!!!

zero logic, where you going? You do steelheads at all?

Pulaski. I never fished outside of a bass lake or a trout steam so its a whole new thing for me.:p

KXRida
09-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Pulaski. I never fished outside of a bass lake or a trout steam so its a whole new thing for me.:p

Ah I see. We usually go up to Erie steelheadin'. It's a blast, but it's a little early for that. I usually like to head up about 3rd week in archery.

rodeo#11
09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not gonna lie this may sound cocky but i don't even have to leave my back porch. The deer here in NC are so over populated that i have to scare them away just so i can get in my truck and go to work in the mornings.. I invite anyone to come down here and help with the "population control efforts" lol

J.Brown121
09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
i'm bow hunting in a friend of mines front yard b/c the deer won't leave his garden alone lol. i have a place up north of me that i'm going to rifle hunt on. i'm stoked about hunting this year

jesseweaver
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
yea im pretty pumped this year too, im going out to missouri for my first time. a lot of my friends dads go and my dad and his friends, they have good land out there. always come home with a few HUGE 12 and 14 points, hopefully i have a little luck. going out there for the first 4 or 5 days of rifle :D

Pappy
09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
I wont get excited until that first crisp fall morning.

I havent seen anything worth mentioning yet, got a few pics on the game camera of some does, fawns and a spindly little buck. I know they are around but the acorns are falling like mad so they are spread out. My neighbors say they are here so maybe they will clean those ridges and hit my place when it matters...during the season:p

Now usually im stiffer then a rutting buck when the season gets close, but I cant seem to get excited about anything lately.....I know its my health:(

ben300
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I wont get excited until that first crisp fall morning.

I havent seen anything worth mentioning yet, got a few pics on the game camera of some does, fawns and a spindly little buck. I know they are around but the acorns are falling like mad so they are spread out. My neighbors say they are here so maybe they will clean those ridges and hit my place when it matters...during the season:p

Now usually im stiffer then a rutting buck when the season gets close, but I cant seem to get excited about anything lately.....I know its my health:(

im not to excited for the season really either...usually we'll have one or two really promising bucks on our properties, but this year, we havent had much sign of anything.....relly everywhere around me is kinda stale this year...the deer are hunted super hard up here in NW PA.... heck ill be happy when goose comes back in...we had a fantastic early season this year

Pappy
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Ducks and Geese start thursday so im happy but stil...seems like I have lost something or maybe I just feel lathargic about life:ermm:

ben300
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Ducks and Geese start thursday so im happy but stil...seems like I have lost something or maybe I just feel lathargic about life:ermm:

ahhh..your just going through one of them deals ya konw..and if your not feeling good and all then then that can add to it...we all go through it from time to time....you'll shake it eventually

wckedclownz69
09-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Ah I see. We usually go up to Erie steelheadin'. It's a blast, but it's a little early for that. I usually like to head up about 3rd week in archery.

couple of my buddies go out there every year and love it .. never got to go yet tho...

KXRida
09-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by wckedclownz69
couple of my buddies go out there every year and love it .. never got to go yet tho...

it's a blast

KXRida
09-29-2009, 06:44 AM
This was caught on a buddy's trail cam about 3 miles from where I hunt...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/mountian_lion.jpg

hmmmm

usp4u
09-29-2009, 07:00 AM
This was caught on a buddy's trail cam about 3 miles from where I hunt...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/mountian_lion.jpg

hmmmm
Did you get that as a txt ?
I've seen that pic on three other sites the past week or so.

usp4u
09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by ben300
thats one of the reasons why i do not muzzle loader hunt..

several years ago, before my old man retired from the pa state police, he had a case where a guy died from shooting himself with a muzzle loader flint lock hand gun....some guys wife bought it for him for christmass, he took it outside to shoot it for his wife and kids. wife was filming. he went to shoot, but it it didnt go off, what he didnt realize is that it may take several seconds for the powerder inside to light....he reared the thing around to look down the barrel to see if there was something in it...when he did, it went off....end of story..

so you wont use a muzzleloader b/c if you expeirience a hang-fire, you dont trust that you wont look down the barrel like Elmer Fudd ?:rolleyes:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

ben300
09-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by usp4u
so you wont use a muzzleloader b/c if you expeirience a hang-fire, you dont trust that you wont look down the barrel like Elmer Fudd ?:rolleyes:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

i wont hunt with them cause they are just to dangerous for me...the hang fire just scares me....

ill hunt with inlines... we have a tc omega and a really old knight that my old man got on consignment when a guy came to buy a gun...

i just dont hunt muzzle loader all that much...our early season you can use inline, but but i hunt the full archery season here in NW PA, and they by happen to fall at the same time.

id much just prefer to hunt archery. our late season is the time as late muzzle loader, which is non inline, and i just go archery hunting..

usp4u
09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
fair enough.
flintlock season is my favorite. It seems like the deer know that you cant hit them with the old smokepole and they get closer. :D

you may want to stock up on any replacement parts for that Knight...I read the they closed up operations a few months ago.

ben300
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
fair enough.
flintlock season is my favorite. It seems like the deer know that you cant hit them with the old smokepole and they get closer. :D

you may want to stock up on any replacement parts for that Knight...I read the they closed up operations a few months ago.

I like to go out in flint lock with my buddies and do drives for them cause its almost halarious how in accurate they are at shooting.

ya they went out of business. they're still making parts and accessories, but we can still order and get knights in cause there was alot of them left..

and im not gonna get any parts for it...we never use the dang thing cause its a cheap POS. the omega is 10000x better and we hardly ever use it either....we just well archery hunt and goose hunt a tremendous ammount..

Pappy
09-29-2009, 12:21 PM
damn that sucks about Knight, first I had heard of it

Went scouting today...need to move 3 stands but found enough sign that I know we wont go hungry.

The pic of the cougar and buck is making the rounds, its 3 miles from where evryone hunts haha

ben300
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
damn that sucks about Knight, first I had heard of it

Went scouting today...need to move 3 stands but found enough sign that I know we wont go hungry.

The pic of the cougar and buck is making the rounds, its 3 miles from where evryone hunts haha

ya..knight lost a lot of business to thompson center...it was pretty tough to keep up iwht them especially with all of their advertising that they do...they're like mathews...everyone with a big name is sponsored by them

we were out moving stand on one of our properties sunday, and one of the stands that we havent moved in sevral years now i suppose, we decided to go and move it cause we had forgot it....the dang tree grew around the chains holding the stand in place...

KXRida
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Did you get that as a txt ?
I've seen that pic on three other sites the past week or so.

yah it's down towards kittanning pa. I hunt down there every now and then around were it was taken.

white tails
09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
well to start off i was hunting sunday EVENING it was about 10 minutes after sunset (we are allowed to hunt form 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset) it was not sussposes to rain so we decided to leave her alone for the night (so we didnt kick her up) well it rained all night. my dad and brother went out looking for 2 hours and never found her. after school me and one of my buddies went back out and stumbled across her after 1 and a half hours. It was plenty cool out so the meat was ok. thankfully

KXRida
09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Are you allowed to hunt on sundays?

ben300
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Are you allowed to hunt on sundays?

yes you can hunt on sundays in ohio

KXRida
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I figured, but I'm not up to date with ohio.

ben300
09-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I figured, but I'm not up to date with ohio.

ya they need to do that over here in PA, but heck, we cant even get the ppl in charge to pass a budget so ppl can get paid, so it probably wont happen soon...:mad:

rodeo#11
09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
that picture was on the front page of my local news paper today... weird...

mxduner
09-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
that picture was on the front page of my local news paper today... weird... Yea it is funny how all the claims of these animal pic's get claimed in multi locations, in the digital world.We had a cougar at a sliding glass door on deck/porch here in minnesota. Original email i got claimed to be 20 mile's away from me, then a couple weeks go by, and i get another email, same pictures but "was taken" 3 hour's away in wisconsin :devil:

Bow hunting for us started last weekend.
and pappy that "brisk morning" should be 25 overnite for me here:D

KXRida
09-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by ben300
ya they need to do that over here in PA, but heck, we cant even get the ppl in charge to pass a budget so ppl can get paid, so it probably wont happen soon...:mad:

yah isn't that the truth. I guess all we can really do is bug our congressmen (which doesn't do much now and days).

wow that pic made it the whole way down to NC???? :eek2:

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 12:39 PM
HA, so i went and grabbed the paper i saw that article in today and got to reading and 3 local rednecks are claiming to of got that pic off their game camera...(i feel i can say redneck because of where i live and if you saw my family you would understand lol) but yea i called b.s. on it because due to the low amount of food in our area a buck could not mature that much plus is that a mule deer?? looks like a texas buck to me.

white tails
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
one of my friends moms showed me that picture see said it was around Lima Oh its probably someone trying to get attention

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 05:40 PM
^^ i agree ...no doubt the pic is real but only god knows where it truly came from lol

jesseweaver
09-30-2009, 06:08 PM
^^ i agree ...no doubt the pic is real but only god knows where it truly came from lol

idk how quick i'd say that. :ermm:

first off a cougar wouldn't drag a deer that big between his legs.

and it happens to be a PERFECT trail cam shot. its not out in the background or anything, its DEAD center.

and theres to claw or scratch marks anywhere on the deer and no blood anywhere.

and wheres he holding the deer by? it looks like the deer was just photo shopped in and put in front of the cougars face. is he just dragging him by the skin on the side of his neck?

but idk im no expert on photography it could be real :ermm:

Pappy
09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Id say its a texas deer and cougar....the brush and ground look alot like that region. That is the opinion of a ton of folks as this shot makes the rounds as well.

ben300
09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
idk how quick i'd say that. :ermm:

first off a cougar wouldn't drag a deer that big between his legs.

and it happens to be a PERFECT trail cam shot. its not out in the background or anything, its DEAD center.

and theres to claw or scratch marks anywhere on the deer and no blood anywhere.

and wheres he holding the deer by? it looks like the deer was just photo shopped in and put in front of the cougars face. is he just dragging him by the skin on the side of his neck?

but idk im no expert on photography it could be real :ermm:

id say its real...those cats are extremely powerful...and thats jsot one pick from a trail...htere are some serious trail cams anymore out there, the person who owns that could have a series of pictures of that cat dragging that buck across there

rodeo#11
09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
another one i found

white tails
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
thats not a couger its just a mix between a dog and a deer. deer body, dogs legs and tail jk

jesseweaver
09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
another one i found

yea i guess its real but in that one wouldn't the deer be running? and dont tell me that thing is lol. all the deer that i miss and they take off their backs are about 2 foot off the ground when they're running lol :D nah i've only missed one in my 5 years