PDA

View Full Version : what some ppl would trade for a prius.....

elite ATV1
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/shed-a-tear-for-clunkers-that-deserved-better/

TM426
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Thats sad. I wonder what the total of all the vehicles blue book values would have been.

09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
That's what happens when stupid people get there hands on something valuable... The biggest heart breaker for me was the 4 final gen. Supra's. :(

rappin_ernie
09-27-2009, 10:10 PM
This is sad. They shouldnt crush any of the cars they recieve in the cash for clunkers program. Even the average cars have a use. The cars should be parted out at least, and the more valuable and rare cars should be auctioned off. I think it's horrible to see so many cars crushed for the new boring cars.

Kickstarts-suck
09-28-2009, 12:39 AM
(24) Ford F-150 SVT Lightning
2006 Roush Stage 3 F-150 (2)
2008 Foose F-150 (2)

:eek: :mad:

I just dont understand why anyone would trade these cars in when they are worth way more than $4500..

muddy400EX
09-28-2009, 01:16 AM
1000 camaros
500 firebirds
1600 mustangs

we need more modern muscle, not less:mad:

BakerRacing40
09-28-2009, 04:50 AM
the way i understood it was the gov was giving 2500 dollars for your car? then dealerships were throwing another 2500 in clunker or not.. at least around here, so my thought was these cars that are worth more than the 2500 were bought by the dealership and was done just like a normal trade in???? am i thinking wrong? who would take 2500 for some of those cars and trucks ? some were almost brand new, no way they were blown up and crushed... i pray that i am right..

R.I.P. to all the cars and trucks that could of had a wonderful future still serving their owners....

protraxrptr17
09-28-2009, 06:20 AM
I hate the way the prius is being pushed as the most efficient car ever made and if you don't drive one you are killing the planet. My TDI Beetle uses less fuel and will kick the **** out of a Prius in any kind of race. I heard that the batteries for it have to be trucked across the country twice during manufacturing. Can anybody confirm that? The fuel that is conserved is less than what is used to build it. I 'm sick of how Toyota is being touted as "the cars americans want".

usp4u
09-28-2009, 06:32 AM
GNX!!!!!:huh

rappin_ernie
09-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
I hate the way the prius is being pushed as the most efficient car ever made and if you don't drive one you are killing the planet. My TDI Beetle uses less fuel and will kick the **** out of a Prius in any kind of race. I heard that the batteries for it have to be trucked across the country twice during manufacturing. Can anybody confirm that? The fuel that is conserved is less than what is used to build it. I 'm sick of how Toyota is being touted as "the cars americans want".

I also hear that the discarded batteries from a prius are worse for the environment than a full size hummer because they will take millions of years to degrade, and because of Half-life, they will never be completely gone...

yellowzo3
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
wow what a shame. Some of these people could have easily pocketed 10 grand or more by selling their cars on their own for a super low price. There are BRAND NEW trucks that were traded in... 2007 Acadia? How stupid do you have to be to buy a brand new $40,000 truck, trade it in for $4500, and then have to pay another $15,000 or so to buy the new car. Unbelievable. I would hate to be the kid working at the dealer who was in charge of toasting the engines on some of his dream cars :p

extremeblastr
09-28-2009, 09:21 AM
ignorant much? no way in hell 80% of those vehicles were really traded in. seems to me the dealerships put one over on the government with some wrecked vehicles.

Guy400
09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
The whole program was crap and we, the tax payers, got to pay for it. I wasn't in the market for a new vehicle while this was active but even if I was I would not take the Cash for Clunkers credit. The government doesn't owe me any money towards a new vehicle and I don't feel morally right in taking it. Why should I take money from some poor tax payer who can't afford a new vehicle themselves?

09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
wow that is unbelievable I want to say that list is made up lol Seriously some awesome cars on that list. If I were the dealer I would have kept the bad *** cars that people would still buy.

BakerRacing40
09-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
The whole program was crap and we, the tax payers, got to pay for it. I wasn't in the market for a new vehicle while this was active but even if I was I would not take the Cash for Clunkers credit. The government doesn't owe me any money towards a new vehicle and I don't feel morally right in taking it. Why should I take money from some poor tax payer who can't afford a new vehicle themselves?

i agree with this..

09-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
I hate the way the prius is being pushed as the most efficient car ever made.

700 hp cummins-
"On two separate tests, Jeff was able to achieve 55 mpg on the highway going from his shop to Macon, Georgia, and back."

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/0906dp_2007_dodge_ram/22_inch_rims.html

ben300
09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
it was all a hoopla marketing gimmick by the government to stick it to us honest tax paying citizens, so that they, the politicians could look mighty fine and daddy to the ignorant americans who dont pay taxes, because the govenrment just helped them to buy a car that they probably could not afford in the first place...im sure some ppl legitamately traded in some hard core POS's, but it was all to make the politicians look good, so the same dumb ppl that voted them in in the first place, would reelect them..JMPO

..i was talking to an older friend of mine, and we were kinda wondering, how much did the car companies and dealerships mark up the vehicles before hand to offset the ammount of discounts the tradees were gettting?

hondariderdylan
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
so what did the government "propose" to do with all these cars? (im not much of a news person)

i would understand crushing things like old mail carrier jeeps but aston martins, foose and roush F-150's, bentleys?

surely the government is going to resell these cars?
or is obama going to give them as birthday girts to his secratarys:rolleyes:

hondariderdylan
09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Nova
700 hp cummins-
"On two separate tests, Jeff was able to achieve 55 mpg on the highway going from his shop to Macon, Georgia, and back."

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/0906dp_2007_dodge_ram/22_inch_rims.html

oh BTW, that guy lives about 10 minutes from me:p

ive seen some of his drag trucks at the local friday night drag series, there amazingly fast:eek2:

ben300
09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
so what did the government "propose" to do with all these cars? (im not much of a news person)

i would understand crushing things like old mail carrier jeeps but aston martins, foose and roush F-150's, bentleys?

surely the government is going to resell these cars?
or is obama going to give them as birthday girts to his secratarys:rolleyes:

upon trading in your vehicle, a chemical was put in the gas tank, the car was turned on, the chemical detonates the engine...rendering it completely useless...the vehicle was then sent to the crusher and then sent to be recycled or just trashed...

...the ammount of garbage left behind from this far out exceeded the impact in our carbon foot print from recycling these vehicles...

hondariderdylan
09-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ben300
upon trading in your vehicle, a chemical was put in the gas tank, the car was turned on, the chemical detonates the engine...rendering it completely useless...the vehicle was then sent to the crusher and then sent to be recycled or just trashed...

...the ammount of garbage left behind from this far out exceeded the impact in our carbon foot print from recycling these vehicles...

i guess most people dont realize the value of what there destroying:ermm:

ben300
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
ya...there were alot of really nice, new vehicles, that were worth way more than the max that the government was gonna give them if they would have just traded it or sold it outright...

however...there were probably a good number of just pure junkers that were traded in...some that probably shouldnt have even been on the road

<DRS>GPF
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
there is nothing factual that states the vehicle is to be crushed..

many of these cars will be parted out, making replacement parts much easier to locate and less expensive to buy.(good for the little guy on a budget)

protraxrptr17
09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I forgot to comment on that earlier. I think most of the vehicles that are in the program are sold to salvage yards and parted out. Why couldn't the dealership choose not to send it thru and just give the customer say $5500 for the vehicle and sell it for whatever they want. Alot of the talk about this program is BS.

aDviSol2y
09-28-2009, 02:03 PM
This list is BULL *****! Do you really think anyone is really that dumb to give those cars up. I could understand if one busted up Bently was trashed but all those cars. I don't think so. Some one if filling us full of *****. most of those cars do not even qualify for the program. The government is not dumb, they would not let dealerships get away with trick ****!ng the system. Anyway, the program was not really intended to get better cars on the road, it was intended to jumpstart the auto industry.

ben300
09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
This list is BULL *****! Do you really think anyone is really that dumb to give those cars up. I could understand if one busted up Bently was trashed but all those cars. I don't think so. Some one if filling us full of *****. most of those cars do not even qualify for the program. The government is not dumb, they would not let dealerships get away with trick ****!ng the system. Anyway, the program was not really intended to get better cars on the road, it was intended to jumpstart the auto industry.

if they wanted to jump start the auto industry, the should have made it so that people who were going to use the program could only buy ford, general motors, or chrysler products...that way, those companies could make some money and pay back all that stimulus money that they were lent

aDviSol2y
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
if they wanted to jump start the auto industry, the should have made it so that people who were going to use the program could only buy ford, general motors, or chrysler products...that way, those companies could make some money and pay back all that stimulus money that they were lent

Jump starting the auto industry doesn't just mean selling cars. It means putting Hundreds of thousands of people in many diferent work fields back to work. Thus putting money in peoples pockets, thus making it possible for people to spend money they now have. The trickle effect in reverse. Too bad things like this are just temporary fix's. Just like stimulas checks the government gives for tax rebates. It gives false hope for traders to start trading again. Too bad they are too smart for **** like that these days! My 2 cents.

ben300
09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
problem is...alot of those, a vast majority of those auto industry jobs are not gonna come back..sure, ya if things turn around, your gonna see some of it come back...but as time moves on..your gonna see these companies operate more leaner, with less of a human work force, and alot more outsourced parts and products....its just the dilema that is facing our country....we are no longer an industrialized nation...

i understand what you are saying and i agree with it, but unfortunately, it didnt get jump started like they wanted, and alot of, or the mass majority of dealers out there, have had a hard time in getting the money from the federal government for the cars that they sold.

BakerRacing40
09-29-2009, 04:51 AM

back when gm was getting or had just gotten their bailout money, ford issued a statement or a report in some form or fashion stating that even though they have been heavily affected in the economic down turn and had record lows for their sales, they had budgeted and made a plan that would make them ok for at least one year without bailout money and said they were not going to take any money for a bailout.....

that's just what i remember about what was said, so don't quote me on that.. lol ... so did ford take any gov. money? i didn't think so but not sure if things has changed since then... :confused:

extremeblastr
09-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
back when gm was getting or had just gotten their bailout money, ford issued a statement or a report in some form or fashion stating that even though they have been heavily affected in the economic down turn and had record lows for their sales, they had budgeted and made a plan that would make them ok for at least one year without bailout money and said they were not going to take any money for a bailout.....

that's just what i remember about what was said, so don't quote me on that.. lol ... so did ford take any gov. money? i didn't think so but not sure if things has changed since then... :confused:

no ford did not take or ask for bailout money. they restructured a few years ago in anticipation of this.

ben300
09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
no ford did not take or ask for bailout money. they restructured a few years ago in anticipation of this.

yes and they brought in a CEO who had a successful history of turning around failing companies