PDA

View Full Version : wont start.. need help

Altusrider
09-27-2009, 01:59 PM
new battery, new starter, new solonoid, changed the oil.

will pull/push start.. but wont turn over when i try to use my electric start.

the solonoid just clicks and then nothing..

possibly wiring issue? :confused:

Blazin400
09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
i had the same problem. make sure all the plugs that r on top or around the battery that plug together r all the way connected. and just for ****s and grins put ur batt on a 12v2a charger.

Altusrider
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
ok checked them and they are all connected.. battery was on charger for like 17 hours and i tried again and same problem.. just clicking and nothing.. all the wires are hooked up and connections are connected.. checked the ground and it is good but still wont fire up unless i pull start it

coreo5
09-29-2009, 09:50 PM
pull the ground off of the frame and put a new connection on it...wont hurt to try

jelrod05
09-30-2009, 06:23 AM
does it start when the starter is pulled in.

jelrod05
09-30-2009, 06:25 AM
i meant the clutch sorry about that, there is a little clutch diode that is back by the battery that can go bad.

Altusrider
09-30-2009, 06:05 PM
it wont start at all unless i pull start it..

in neautral it just clicks and even holding down the clutch in gear just clicks.. maybe got a bum starter? only thing i can think...

i used my multi meter and everything is getting power..
the oil only has about 2 hours.. motor doesnt make any pinging noises or anything like that so that really only leaves starter and noid right? and both are new..

so wish they had a kick start kit for a 400ex i would dump ES so fast for a kicker..

mcgrath
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM
See if you can jump the starter. It is probably the starter if everything else has power. I got a used honda starter for $20 off ebay and its worked great all year. Not positive, but you should be able to jump the starter by using a booster cable hooked to the battery and touch the post on the starter... I think that should jump it, but I havent tried.

Altusrider
09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
thanks i'll try that

mmbintn
09-30-2009, 07:14 PM
If the starter turns over when you bypass the solenoid then the starter is good and the solenoid is bad. It's a common problem with all solenoids as they are built cheap.

Try to use a pair of pliers or something and touch both the big red wires on the solenoid, at the same time. If the starter is good and the battery is good then the starter will kick over.

coreo5
09-30-2009, 08:54 PM
the way i read his first post was that the clicking he is hearing is the solenoid clicking

Blazin400
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
r u getting power to ur starter??? thats what u need to check. cuz if its just clicking then ur losing power there. like the other ppl said if u jump ur starter and it starts then its ur solenoid

coreo5
10-01-2009, 11:14 PM
i believe the CLICKING noise he is hearing is the solenoid itself...so that leads me to believe its the starter. not the solenoid

mmbintn
10-02-2009, 03:55 AM
If you do as I stated in my earlier post then you will know if its the starter or solenoid.

Altusrider
10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
hey thanks guys... found out i go sold a bum starter i took it back and they gave me a new one.. starts fine now... but i wrecked it saturday and bent my frame broke my a-arms and bent my tie rods and bent steering column... so now i get to do mor work to it.. and get to turn my wrench left handed... broke my arm aswell hahahah