PDA

View Full Version : Might have an issue with GTT shocks and link???

73watermutt
09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok, I took my 450r out for it's first run with some used GT Thunder stock rebuild shocks I got that are supposed to be setup for 195-210 pound XC rider and the GT Thunder XC link. It rides great except when I jump even small jumps it bottoms out and I now also have a crack in the bottom of my airbox. What gives!!!!! Does anyone else have this kind of issue?

09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Well from what I hear GTT shocks always seem to be on the soft side. On top of that its setup for XC and those weren't really made to take jumps. THe point was to use most of the travel for whoops and rutted out stuff that you see in a XC race. I see even the pros when they have a section of small jumps not many will hit them. Try maybe adjusting the compression? I would call GTT and see what they have to say.

coryatver
09-27-2009, 03:18 PM
When you buy a link new he sends you directions that you MUST check the clearances of the rear end under full compression. Some quads you have to buy or make a air box raising kit, modify the sub frame, space out the exhaust.

He doesn't set up shocks just to weight. He also sets them up to the type of riding you do, skill level, tire size and brand/model, what a-arms/swing arm you have and model year 450. I would recommend sending them to him to get them set up for you. They probably could use a oil change anyway.

coryatver
09-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I see even the pros when they have a section of small jumps not many will hit them.

:huh are you kidding

09-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
:huh are you kidding

no i'm not, ive watched several races and not everyone hits them. A lot just do the little roll over, still jumping but not making the double just hopping over each bump.

motofreak2772
09-27-2009, 04:36 PM
clearing the jump would be less of an impact than rolling it. but they would have their shocks set up right for each specific track so it wouldnt really be a problem.

eastside 400
09-27-2009, 05:54 PM
all i did with mine when i kept breaking airboxes is to cut the bottom of the box out and then take a piece of thick rubber and cut it a little bigger then the cutout and rivet it to the box, i got sick of replacing mine and this worked perfect and is still going over 2 years. or make a airbox riser.

73watermutt
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Well this shock setup will not work for me then. I like to jump and I go to the track on a regular basis. I need suspension that can multi task.

eastside 400
09-27-2009, 06:27 PM
contact laz at gtthunder and get the rear shock redone with a stiffer spring

coryatver
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 73watermutt
Well this shock setup will not work for me then. I like to jump and I go to the track on a regular basis. I need suspension that can multi task.

like i said you need to get them set up for YOU. you can't just buy shocks set up for someone else and slap them on and expect them to be perfect for you.

fastredrider44
09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Mine were soft, but I could still do 30 foot doubles without bottoming. You needed to get risers for your airbox, and my bet is that the oil is about burn up and probably a little low on Nitrogen. Call Laz and he will get your squared away.

73watermutt
09-28-2009, 07:10 AM
I will get in touch with them and see if I can get them setup for me.

Scro
09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm not a fan of Laz's suspension. More often than not, they are too soft.

73watermutt
09-28-2009, 07:30 AM
What would you suggest for suspension? I was thinking about a winter rebuild anyway so I might just go all new aftermarket shocks.

Scro
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Although I haven't used either of them, I've heard nothing but good about C&D, and Derisi.

fastredrider44
09-28-2009, 01:47 PM
As far as Laz goes, a lot of the guys I hear running rebuilds will say that they weigh about 10 more pounds than they do and say they run a faster class than they do. As far as aftermarket, it's limitless. There is a ton of great suspensions out, and can be fine tuned to your liking.

Dave400ex
09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I'm not a fan of Laz's suspension. More often than not, they are too soft.

This can be easily fixed. I know people don't like to mess with it, but you have to tune them and mess with them even after someone like Laz works on them. Best is to tune them with Laz!

73watermutt what type of riding are you doing?

73watermutt
09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Fast trail riding with some jumps but I would like to get into XC racing.

cbr
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
ive had all kinda problems with my shocks hes rebuilt. he doesnt seem to care-i wont spend anymore of my money there. the guys at exodus cycle are really helpful and always gives me good deals.

73watermutt
09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I called GTT and talked to him. He seemed pretty helpful but a little short. I guess when you get the same questions asked a hundred times a day you might get a little short with people too.:ermm:

Scro
09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
This can be easily fixed. I know people don't like to mess with it, but you have to tune them and mess with them even after someone like Laz works on them. Best is to tune them with Laz!

73watermutt what type of riding are you doing?

I tried. It didn't matter what kind of adjustments I made, it still rolled in the corners and bottomed all the time. I sent them back to Axis, and they're now closer to being right than they have ever been.

No doubt Laz can get it right eventually (from all the winning riders using his stuff). 95% of the time, the only time I really get to ride is at the races...so there's not much testing and tuning that I can do. So I sent it to someone that could atleast get the shocks in the ballpark the first try.

73watermutt
10-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I have had no luck tuning the rear shock. I even ran the compression clicker all the way hard and it is still way way too soft. I am kinda new to atv shocks so it is very frustrating. Would tightening down the adjuster on the top of the spring help any or is that just for higher ride height?

fastredrider44
10-02-2009, 08:40 AM
It would help alittle bit, but it's not going to ride as good as it could. FYI, I have a #425 spring on my rear GTT shock, even though my original GTT shock came with a 375. I had to stiffen mine up a bit.

Scro
10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I have had no luck tuning the rear shock. I even ran the compression clicker all the way hard and it is still way way too soft. I am kinda new to atv shocks so it is very frustrating. Would tightening down the adjuster on the top of the spring help any or is that just for higher ride height?

Do you know what spring is on there now? I've got a 325 single rate spring, if that will help.

73watermutt
10-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't know, is it marked somewhere? I know the guy told me it was setup for a 195-210 pound xc rider.

fastredrider44
10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't know, is it marked somewhere? I know the guy told me it was setup for a 195-210 pound xc rider.

Take the spring off and it will be scratched into the top or bottom of the spring. the fronts usually have little stickers on them though. What do you weigh?

73watermutt
10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
215 without gear

73watermutt
10-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Would removing the GT Thunder XC link help any with bottoming?

fastredrider44
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
That shock is made to go with that link. If your having bottoming issues, get the shock set up for you. Until then, put your stock shock and link on. A revalved shock with a stock link isn't going to ride very good, and your ride height is going to be messed up.

73watermutt
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
yeah, I kinda figured it wouldn't help.

Scro
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
You also run the risk of bending the shaft of the shock, if it's too soft and you're bottoming too much. I've had it happen before.

Dave400ex
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Would removing the GT Thunder XC link help any with bottoming?

Give Laz a call. He said he would help on the other site.