PDA

View Full Version : anti freeze

mxpimp2000
09-26-2009, 09:37 PM
ive noticed my bike uses alotta anti freeze. i have to fill up the tank in the rear about every2-3 races. someone said yamaha burns it and that others dosent??

i was goin to switch to engine ice but cant afford to buy a 20 dollar jug every time i need to refill it back up,

BakerRacing40
09-26-2009, 11:40 PM
i got rid of my rezzie tank and just have the hose routed down to the bottom of the frame.. i know my yfz will push some out and i'll top it off.... i'm still using ethylene glycol in my system

yfzrider690
09-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I have had my quad for almost 2 1/2 years and just recently had the head ported and put in a high compression piston and before I tore it apart I never once had to top off the coolant bottle. I think you might be leaking it from somewhere.

mxpimp2000
09-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
I have had my quad for almost 2 1/2 years and just recently had the head ported and put in a high compression piston and before I tore it apart I never once had to top off the coolant bottle. I think you might be leaking it from somewhere.

so u never ran low on coolant?

coryatver
09-27-2009, 03:08 PM
It is definitly not normal for anything to use antifreeze.

yfz's have a very common problem with the propeller shaft bearings/seals. Replace the bearing/seals and also propeller shaft becuase they get grooved out and it won't seal if you don't. It could also be time for a new head gasket.

DON"T BUY ENGINE ICE. That stuff is junk. Doesn't work good and turns to gel crap. Use a ethylene glycol (normal car antifreeze) and water mixture. and for the best add some redline water wetter.

yfzrider690
09-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
so u never ran low on coolant?

Nope, not one time. Like I said I have never had to put coolant in my quad since I've had it except for when I just did some work to it. It always stayed at the same level in the overflow.

yfzrider690
09-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I run the maxima coolant with some water wetter. Seems to work well.