PDA

View Full Version : Welders.. Help me.

Nick110
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Well Im in the market for a welder. It will run off of 110v and I need it for some of the following reasons: Welding and fabbing quad and parts, sheet metal. Im pretty sure I dont need the top of the line one but I dont want some cracker jack welder either. What are some of your suggestions? It would also be nice if it was portable. Wire fed too, i think thats mig right? Im a newbie so bare with me. In the 300-450$ range.

matt14c
09-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I just asked the same thing about two weeks ago. This should be some pretty quick/good info for ya. :devil:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410956&highlight=welder

400ex28
09-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a hobart handler 140 and its really nice, built my hybrid with it and other things it works good.

wvspeedfreak
09-26-2009, 04:43 PM
A Lincoln 140C is a great 110 welder.It is a little over the price you listed though.

eastside 400
09-26-2009, 05:28 PM
i have a clark and it works good, ive heard nothing but good about hobarts and they are in your price range. make sure you get a gas capable one because fluxcore sucks

KevinAb
09-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i have a clark and it works good, ive heard nothing but good about hobarts and they are in your price range. make sure you get a gas capable one because fluxcore sucks

x2 fluxcore sucks. My wife got me a gasless (ie fluxcore only) welder for x-mas a few years ago. I love her intent, but gas is the only way to go.

Heatpump#4
09-27-2009, 08:31 AM
if you have the money spend it on a miller 135 or hobart 140.. there the same thing i do believe miller owns hobart now.. dont get the fluxcore welders there a pain the *** plus alot harder to use

woodsracer144
10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
i think your best bet would be a hobart mig... if you would like a tig... find a cheap arc welder near you... about a 200 dollar one... and i have some part nubmers for you... and if you want more in for i can help you change the arc welder to a tig... the tig torch would be a scrach start... it wouldnt have a pedal like the new ones... this is what im gonna do... i'll get the book that im ordering the parts from and show you... it would cost about 60 bucks for teh tig torch and the all the stuff to swap it over for a tig welder then about 80 bucks for a regulator for the argon... and you can get argon at fleet farm or at airgas and stuff like that...

tri5ron
10-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i think your best bet would be a hobart mig... if you would like a tig... find a cheap arc welder near you... about a 200 dollar one... and i have some part nubmers for you... and if you want more in for i can help you change the arc welder to a tig... the tig torch would be a scrach start... it wouldnt have a pedal like the new ones... this is what im gonna do... i'll get the book that im ordering the parts from and show you... it would cost about 60 bucks for teh tig torch and the all the stuff to swap it over for a tig welder then about 80 bucks for a regulator for the argon... and you can get argon at fleet farm or at airgas and stuff like that...
now that's something I'd be interested in. Please do post up the info on the tig conversion.

woodsracer144
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
i'll get the book on monday. i left it at school... its a really easy cheap way of making a tig... but the only flaw is you can only go to about 150Amps or else the torch will get really really hot and there isnt as many control options like the new ones...

250x_kyle
10-04-2009, 12:08 PM
i'll get the book on monday. i left it at school... its a really easy cheap way of making a tig... but the only flaw is you can only go to about 150Amps or else the torch will get really really hot and there isnt as many control options like the new ones...

either way it sounds like it would be a pain to do to get the torch to work because of having to have the gas go through the torch and have a foot pedal. but sure would be interesting information.

other then that knowing that he is a newb a tig is way out of his price range and is rather time consuming to learn. just get a decent mig and youll be set

wrekd
10-04-2009, 06:18 PM
As long as its a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart you can't really go wrong. Definitely get one set up for gas. Flux is a pita to work with on thinner metals.

woodsracer144
10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
ok.. im gonna clean up things on the tig welding system...

you have your arc welder, i take a new lead for the postive with a hole int so i can stick a bolt through it and tighten it down on this adaptor you would use... when it comes to the gas you use a torch that has a twist on off valve...so you can turn the gas on and off with it, un like the new one you wont have a pedal to push on to change the amps. to start it you scrach it kinda like on a arc... i'll get some pics for you tomorrow so you can understand it better...

you also need a AC DC welder, if you have just DC you wouldnt be able to weld alum.

250x_kyle
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM
ok.. im gonna clean up things on the tig welding system...

you have your arc welder, i take a new lead for the postive with a hole int so i can stick a bolt through it and tighten it down on this adaptor you would use... when it comes to the gas you use a torch that has a twist on off valve...so you can turn the gas on and off with it, un like the new one you wont have a pedal to push on to change the amps. to start it you scrach it kinda like on a arc... i'll get some pics for you tomorrow so you can understand it better...

you also need a AC DC welder, if you have just DC you wouldnt be able to weld alum.

that makes sense. kinda like me an my buddy set a tig welder up for stick with a foot pedal wich was kinda fun.

woodsracer144
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
that coudnt have been too hard... couldnt you jsut screw it in where the tungston would sit?

woodsracer144
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
ok here you go. i put it on youtube. i for got to add that there needs to be a gas cooled tig hose that would go between # 10 and the tig torch... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOySnBbVh4