PDA

View Full Version : New Shocks?

axellmusic19
09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I have been looking at different front suspension setups and I have no idea on what is reputable or what actually works. I hope to spend $400 or less on the set but please give me some help. My type of riding is trail and ice and occasional track so hopefully something easy to adjust and i like to have slow rebound and fast compression if that narrows anything down. Thanks!:confused:

fx4pitrone
09-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Brand new works shocks $400 for a pair

LTandRaptorider
09-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
Brand new works shocks $400 for a pair

These are the Works Steelers shocks, right? If memory serves me right, they are not compression or rebound adjustable. It will be tough to find shocks for $400 with anything more than pre-load adjustment. I have the Works Pro-Series in front and rear. 7 years ago they cost about 16-1700 for the front and rear.

For $400 your best bet is to check ebay or other quad listings for used shocks. :cool:

axellmusic19
09-26-2009, 07:31 PM
I guess i'll have to start savin! but thank you very much. I know this doesn't have to do with shocks but what are they symptoms of a broken or bent shifting fork? I recently put in 15w40 trans oil and i know thats thick but it worked fine for a while and now it does not want to shift up past second and jams frequently :mad:

LTandRaptorider
09-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Mine did something similar to that some years back... Took the tranny apart, it was a combo of broken tooth on 4th driven gear( I think) and worn fork. Kind of tough to tell exactly until you split the cases and take a look. But you know you have some probs, so sounds like a winter project for you! I found a whole tranny set on ebay for I think around $75 at the time, so that worked out great!

axellmusic19
09-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I was hoping more of a week project cause i love winter riding but thanks for the info. I hope to find the same deals. Cause OEM is rediculous

LTandRaptorider
09-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh no worries, it wouldn't take more than a week to tear it down and fix. Yes, OEM prices are def more. But once you tear it down hopefully you'll see you only need one gear or shift fork... yeah, I always check ebay first for stuff. I've used Midwest Action Cycle for some OEM stuff. I did find a place with a little cheaper on the OEM< but forget right now who it was.. :p

Do you have a service manual? if not, def look for one. They have them on ebay sometimes too. Oh one tip... When you tear it down, get a water pump seal kit. The seals go out kind of quickly, might as well put new ones in while the engine is torn down.

axellmusic19
09-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Awesome! thank you very much for that source and no i don't have one but now will look into one since this might finally be something over my head lol. I'm gonna guess it could use a seal kit so i'll deff do that