PDA

View Full Version : Need shop for flywheel lightening

Mity Mo
01-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Does anyone know of a shop that can lighten a flywheel but doesnt take a month to do it? Most of the big boys can get it back to me in 4-6 weeks. What the heck is that? I need it in at the most 3 weeks so I can get to racing. I am not sure if the Quadshop can do it. If anyone knows, I would definitely appreciate the info. And if you know what they charge to do it that would be even better. Thanks. Mo:D

01-13-2003, 07:49 AM
MO call Ken at Rocky ridge.....270-259-9604 and I think magic racing does it also...Ken should be able to do it within a week..;)

MIKE400EX
01-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Rico, do you know how much weight they removed from your (EX's) flywheel?

ChadEXer
01-13-2003, 09:44 AM
The only thing is can you trust someone that can do it in 1 week compared to the pro guys who take forever??? I took the cases off mine this weekend, and I didnt even know this but Tom at TC lightened my flywheel also, he took quite a bit off it!! I talked to him this morning and he said he took as much off as possible where it will still be very reliable,,,,Im not sure on an exact weight but it looks close to a 1/4 inch!!

GNCC#829
01-13-2003, 09:49 AM
How much does it cost?

MIKE400EX
01-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Chad, I'm not doubting TC's abilities, but the length of turn-around time shouldn't be a measurement of how good someone is. Although that would indeed make your motor THE best! Any machinist with a remote amount of skill should be able to turn a flywheel down in under 30 minutes, so 1 week doesn't seem out of the question.
Could you please post a picture of your flywheel (that we can see)? Thanks!
P.S. Would you hurry up and tell us how that thing runs!?

ChadEXer
01-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
Chad, I'm not doubting TC's abilities, but the length of turn-around time shouldn't be a measurement of how good someone is. Although that would indeed make your motor THE best! Any machinist with a remote amount of skill should be able to turn a flywheel down in under 30 minutes, so 1 week doesn't seem out of the question.
Could you please post a picture of your flywheel (that we can see)? Thanks!
P.S. Would you hurry up and tell us how that thing runs!?
You are absolutely right, but my point is that if it takes a while, then you know that everyone else trusts him and is having him do their work. Im agree that anyone could probably shave a flywheel in 30 minutes, but i would have trouble trusting a "local" shop to do the work,,,,,and remember a flywheel has to be perfectly balanced too,,,,,I could have had my friend at the machine shop do it for me for free in 1 day,,,but just dont know that I would trust him to do something like that!!!
I will try to get a pic of the flywheel when I go to put the cases back on!! Should have it running by next weekend!!!

Dave400ex
01-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Rocky Ridge or TC is the way to go. Rocky Ridge is a TC dealer and from what I have read and seen they build great motors and have some great welding skills at RR.

01-13-2003, 11:44 AM
It cost me about $100 to have my flywheel shaved,,that was 2+ years ago too so it might not be as expensive now..and yeah they take off a pretty good hunk of it,,I've seen another flywheel on my buddies 425ex and it's not a few shavings. I'd say they shave off 1/3 of the total wieght,,but i could be waaaay off.. Heck call Rocky Ridge and ask...;)

Dave400ex
01-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Rico who Ported/Polished Chris's Head for his 425? I know he has TC Parts, but did Rocky Ridge do it or did they send it to TC?

R-Crazy
01-13-2003, 12:06 PM
is there a noticeable power gain or at least a quicker reving motor?

dave

Mity Mo
01-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks Rico. I will give them a call. And I think if Rico got his done 2 years ago and its still together...thats good enough for me. Mo:p

01-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Rico who Ported/Polished Chris's Head for his 425? I know he has TC Parts, but did Rocky Ridge do it or did they send it to TC?

I believe Ken sent the head to TC for a full race port,,,but he's doing port work now and that's who will be doing mine...:D I won't be goin witha full race port though,,

And Mo,,i've not had any problems with mine at all,,,the power delivery is different and hits harder i think..

JhallettEX
01-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Colby from C&D can do them as well. He was going to do mine but then I has my big fall.

nakomis0
01-13-2003, 07:11 PM
I use to know how much Magic racing took off.... If I'm remembering correctly it was 6 ounches.

ChadEXer
01-14-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I believe Ken sent the head to TC for a full race port,,,but he's doing port work now and that's who will be doing mine...:D I won't be goin witha full race port though,,

And Mo,,i've not had any problems with mine at all,,,the power delivery is different and hits harder i think..
Those "pro" engine builders require an arm and 3 legs for a full race port!! Man its crazy,,,but Tom was widdling on mine for 2 days, when I called him, he said Im still porting this thing, im not going to stop until Im completely satisfied and its perfect!!