PDA

View Full Version : e85 banshee, its finally done!!!

asohagan
09-24-2009, 10:41 PM
ok so last year i spoke of switching my banshee to e85. i had to rebuild my motor after a summer of duning and drag racing and then a winter race series that was 15 rounds(flat track/tt). i wanted a lil more power since i am stepping up to pro class this year, so i put in a long rod crank, bored it to a 66mm and had a modified trinity port job done, and a set of vforce 3s.

i done the break in period of race gas and then started the jetting process for e85. i done some research and read that you will use 30% more ethanol than gasoline. so my jet sizes for gasoline were 38 on pilot and 145 on main. by doing the math i figured a 48 pilot and a 188 main would be my starting point.

after completing the jetting and letting it idle for about 5 min i checked the plugs. the color line on the electrode was right above the porceline in the center of the plug, this is right where you want it.

the first test ride was great, it pulled and reved hard. when checking the plug i seen that the electrode was burned. i raised the needle all the way up. this richened it up a little. the discoloration was on the electrode just above the base of the sparkplug.

i changed to a 190 jet, left the needle all the way up and test rode again. now the discoloration line was on the flat part of the plug just above the curve.

now i went to a 192 jet and lowered the needle i clip position, test rode and checked the plugs. they were perfect.

keep in mind that i am in oklahoma and my altitude may not be the same as yours. this will change your jetting needs.

just thought i would share my experience and hopefully help someone. being that e85 has 15% gasoline in it, it starts easier than methanol. it does not burn as much fuel as you would think, let me know if you have any luck trying this.

oh and by the way i have 34mm pj carbs, and i used castor 927 mixing oil. mixed 28:1

01 250exman
10-25-2009, 12:09 PM
sweet man what octane level are you running?

asohagan
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
E85 carries an octane rating of 105. And being that its alchohol you can advance your spark timing very aggressively

loboboy
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
sounds good I have mine running perfect on E85 but I am running EFI with 40MM Throttle bodies and 60 lb/hr injectors at 60 psi fuel pressure. The bike is brutal off the bottom and pulls power clear the 10,200rpm. E85 is a great alternative to race fuel for high comp motors. The anti detonation properties work great.

Oh make sure you purge the motor after riding or the crank bearings will start to rust along with the cylinder walls(unless you have nikasil cub cylinders).