PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned - Buying a $4000 used 250R

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
So, early this year I drove 6 hours to Portland, Oregon to pick up a Laeger Narrow Pro Trax with a CR500 linkage rear end... PEP shocks, 265cc engine, etc... The guy wanted $4000.

When I got there the quad ran good, but I noticed the case had been repaired. The guy said he had gone through the T-Pins, and revitalized the quad a lot.

I bought it.

Since then I have replaced so many parts it wasn't even funny. The PEPs needed rebuilding. The swingarm pivot bearings were shot. The case has begun needing even more repairs... Now the linkage seals are toast, and the carrier bearings are seized.

The guy had everything powdercoated, then put all the rusty bolts back in.... $200 in stainless steel bolts later....

I am now questioning whether the T-Pins got the attention they deserve....

Moral of the story is to not always be fooled by a decent price and lots of aftermarket goodies. I am pretty sure I have over $7000 in this thing now. Part of me wishes I had started from scratch. Then again all the powdercoating was done, and the chassis is right.

My advice is: These quads are old. Unless you buy a current restoration, expect to replace a LOT. If you find one super cheap, expect to replace everything! Basically even the $5000 quads need work.

James

09-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Don't forget you bought a race quad. If all those bearings and bushings don't need replacing now, they probably will after a hard season of racing. Those things are regular maintenance unless all you do is park it in the garage and look at it. And you shouldn't really count the $200 bolt kit. That's something you did cuz you wanted it to look shiny, not cuz it really needed it.

"If you find one super cheap, expect to replaced everything!"

Lol!!!

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
I ride dunes, and our quads have never really eaten bearings, so this failure is new to me.... :)

James

Saul76
09-24-2009, 07:49 PM
My 300$ TRX has treated me really good so far. I pound it daily too.

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
No one likes you....

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I must tell you that everything seemed normal on mmine also, except that the swingarm was rubbing the cases, meaning those bearings were shot.

I opened uup the other locations just to check them, and found the worst. Maybe I shouldn't have looked.... LOL

James

Saul76
09-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
No one likes you....

:D

250Renvy
09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Don't forget what those parts originally cost new.

Frame : $2600
Swingarm: $550
Protrax : $2200
Linkage: $500
PEP's $2800

In all honesty if you want it perfect, yeah it's going to cost and it would be cheaper starting from scratch, but if you are o.k. with used and not having everything perfect, you'd be hard pressed to find a quad cheaper in better condition.

Anything under $5000 will need work and was likely raced.

deathman53
09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I bought my first, a 86 kinda stock 250r for 3gs in 01. I had to replace alot of stuff, about the only thing that didn't get rebuilt or replaced was the motor(it took a dump eventually) and it had a new swingarm. I built a 250r 3 years ago, it hasn't been too bad with rebuilding and new parts. I started with alot of new parts, too. I did have to replace alot of t-pin stuff, the spindles don't need to it yet, the top and bottom heims did.

destey
09-25-2009, 04:29 AM
I bought an 86 with a bunch of race parts thinking I'd just need an electrical harness and I'd be on my way.

When I started putting in new parts it was just the tip of the iceberg. Finally I just tore it all apart and started from scratch, polishing up any good parts it still had.

Lots of quads look ok on the surface, and have a $^#$ ton of problems. If it was all perfect the guy probably wouldn't be selling it. I'd say 2/3 of the time people sell things because they're sick of dealing with the problems (and they see many on the horizon)

312R1
09-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Thats the reason if I was ever to sell mine I would take no less the $10,000 for it...because it's pretty much mint and new.

-Steve

dustinshuler
09-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Not all cheap priced quads are worn out!! My leager is all fresh from top end to all bearings and is only 5500.00!!lol

badquad
09-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I understand about selling. I just sold my 400EX that had about $11,000 invested, I sold it for $3,800. Hardly anything wrong with it. I sold it to put more money into the 250R. Which I bought thinking it was mint, and seemed like the owner switched parts on it before I bought it. That is the problem with buying things that you can't see, or have a friend pick it up, which you think would see the difference. But you did pick up a nice quad, and you are putting things on it that you like, so it will be more yours then the previous owner. That is how I look at fixing up a quad that was suppose to be mint. Post some pics.

ltr

Ruf Racing
09-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I hear you James. You need to just keep her and enjoy! No one
will ever get their money back, what they have invested.;)

BuDDy L
09-25-2009, 11:55 AM
hey guys, i just joined the site, i picked up a 250r 1989 bored to a 265 the other day for 1800...leager a-arms, wiesco piston and rings, itp wheels, lrd full exhaust, works remote resovior suspension theres 5 hours on the top end, could use new plastics, a seat, and a rejetting because it used to run on racing fuel. Besides that, shes a beauty that i am never selling...
http://images.craigslist.org/3k73m53of5Q15P85R499aa83349ea060d1e72.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3nf3md3l25Qa5P65R599a0e209b3953e81e42.jpg

thedeatons
09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Did they change the compression with the new top end? Otherwise you will need to change more than jetting!

Better go through every bearing now.... :)

James

86 Quad R
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
your not kidding. every supposidly turn key that i've ever purchased or had any ealings with ended up needing bushings, bearings, rings or something. as a general rule now i now go as far as pulling the engine and go through it regardless.

bubsyfz450
09-26-2009, 07:02 AM
I almost bought that laeger quad!!!!!!!!!!!

thedeatons
09-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Mine? From Oregon?

James

trx310R#24
09-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
I bought my first, a 86 kinda stock 250r for 3gs in 01. I had to replace alot of stuff, about the only thing that didn't get rebuilt or replaced was the motor(it took a dump eventually) and it had a new swingarm. I built a 250r 3 years ago, it hasn't been too bad with rebuilding and new parts. I started with alot of new parts, too. I did have to replace alot of t-pin stuff, the spindles don't need to it yet, the top and bottom heims did.

i think you just have bad luck... i got mine for 2500 kinda stock in 05 or something an i blow up the motor ("I" BOW UP THE MOTOR) lol an then i got one of ebay an it still runs to this day. yeah i had to replace a part here an a part there but stuff breaks its a race bike not a 400ex thats going to run forever. i think you got one hell of a deal.

thedeatons
09-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Don't think of it like I am complaining.... More of a cautionary thread to the new guys. Most people think if you spend more than others you will get quality. This is not always the case. I do plan to keep my quad, after everything I have done it should last a while...

James

cdrookie
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM
there's a real easy way to see if $xxxx is money worth spending on a potential quad. LOOK IT OVER:macho

450rJam
09-26-2009, 03:36 PM
if you find a deal on a performance toy thats 20+ years old you either found someone who didnt know what they had or expect it to need some $$

99% of the time it will be the later of the 2

2muchquad
09-27-2009, 10:09 PM
theres no way i would pay 4grand for a R,like the saying goes..."theres one born every minute"..thats just silly i dont care who made the frame;)

thedeatons
09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I hope you guys are kidding....

Look it over? You mean tear the swingarm and linkage apart and check the bearings, then strip the shocks down onsite to see the internal condition? Then opening the cylinder to make sure a crap Hot Rods crank is not waiting inside? Please....

I'm no sucker, some things you just cannot see during the pre-buy inspection. Plus I take things on faith (trusting people) because I am an honest person. When someone tells me the bearings were completely gone through I believe them.

James

2muchquad
09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
everybody isnt honest,thats just reality,not just when buying used quads but life in general:( thats why i dont spend much for toys,i ALWAYS get my price im willing to pay,it may take awhile but sooner or later i'll find it,people lose jobs or go through divorces unfortunately all the time and hurt for money.thats just how it is.:ermm:

cdrookie
09-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
I hope you guys are kidding....

Look it over? You mean tear the swingarm and linkage apart and check the bearings, then strip the shocks down onsite to see the internal condition? Then opening the cylinder to make sure a crap Hot Rods crank is not waiting inside? Please....

I'm no sucker, some things you just cannot see during the pre-buy inspection. Plus I take things on faith (trusting people) because I am an honest person. When someone tells me the bearings were completely gone through I believe them.

James

oh, i forgot, you have the cannondale philosophy... excuse me your greatness:rolleyes:

thedeatons
09-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude... What are you even talking about? $4000 for a quad of this level is totally reasonable. Is it my fault I didn't know the bearings that I could not see were worn out?

What exactly do you mean? Can you be more specific? What exactly is the Cannondale philosophy?

James