PDA

View Full Version : timing chain tensioner

jamienlogan
09-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a 99 honda 440ex I have had 2 chain tensioners go bad just wondering if there was a certain one to but or not I bought oem before

F-16Guy
09-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds like it's not being installed properly. The tensioner is a one-way, spring loaded plunger; under normal circumstances, it will extend, but it won't retract, thereby ensuring the chain stays tight and taking up any slack from the chain stretching. Before you install it, you need to remove the big Phillips screw. Under that, you'll see a small flat blade screw. While pushing the tensioner down against a table or something to put pressure on the plunger, turn the flat blade screw clockwise to retract the plunger. Once it's retracted, it "should" stay that way. If it pops out, just retract it again. With it fully retracted and your top end together, install the tensioner with the gasket and tighten it to specs. At that point, you can release the plunger by turning the screw counter clockwise. Finally, re-install the phillips screw plug.

katch26
09-25-2009, 12:53 PM
my guess is your taking it off extended and putting it back on extended

jimlogan
10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
computer was messed up could not respond.
but I put it in right i did all that. the first one was stock it went bad and nocked the chain off and causing the valve to hit the piston. so I put the big bore in and new tensioner. I know i put it in right because I rode it for 2years and was taking it apart to fix the valve cover gasket and a bolt when I relized it was bad. It had to tension on the guide. I could hear it knocking a week before i took it apart I thought it was a valve but it was the tensioner

ae13291
10-04-2009, 11:11 PM
i heard some problems with those automatic tensioners too, i think they sell manual tensioners too. also, when you release the tensioner only loosen it like half a turn and let go, it will retract itsself. i had a buddy who ruined a crf250r motor because he retracted the tensioner all the way out by hand.

RoadRage77
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Ur chain is probably streched too, That might be why you're hearing the chain slap around. If so, They are using the 02 honda CRF 450(dirtbike) timing chain. I just got one on ebay 26 bucks.

sab24711
10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
i don't like the Honda chain tensioners i wish they made an aftermarket one. stock just doesn't seem to be that good. i went through a few with my 440 kit also. i noticed if you can put in on a table and push in the arm then it time to get a new one!