PDA

View Full Version : Laeger Bearing Carrier Bearings? Advice?

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey guys... You can see what kind of carrier I have in my Sig... The problem is I just opened everything up and I found it was a single row carrier.... The carrier itself looks terrible. The bearings will NOT move at all by hand. So, I either buy new bearings, or buy a carrier....

Opinions?

(I also found the Pivot Works seals on my 2001 CR500 linkage are shot.... sigh)

James

86 Quad R
09-24-2009, 02:56 PM
ur sig dont say nuttin about what carrier you have.... is it the twin row style with single row bearings? or is it a oem? can you post a pic or two of it?

250Renvy
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Laeger doesn't make a bearing carrier. LSR does - if that's the case I still maintain I'd rather spend the extra on a new carrier than replace bearings.

$50 - 60 more. Brand new carrier as well. Sell the old one for $30 and let someone who wants to deal with replacing them do it. The dual rows I find a pain to replace.

deathman53
09-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't have any problems with dual row carriers, I posted on how I remove carrier bearings and re-install them. It goes easy, the freezer and old toaster oven/hot plate/ also carefully&evenly w/ propane torch are your friend. Pretty much, heat carrier, while hot punch out bearings, clean quickly, re-heat carrier, remove new bearings from freezer(make sure they are in for atleast 3 hours), drop them in(don't forget center spacer), hold them tight with large sockets, let cool, grease carrier(if un-sealed bearings), grease seals and pop in.

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
It looks like a dual row, eccentric and all, with the multiple holes on the side to twist the carrier, but it only has single row bearings....

Anyone have a used dual row carrier in great shape?

James

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
This looks like a good one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/400EX-HONDA-250R-REAR-AXLE-BEARING-CARRIER-NEW-1-YR-WR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhas hZitem41492a48b5QQitemZ280400382133QQptZMotorsQ5fA TVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

James

86 Quad R
09-24-2009, 08:32 PM
yea that looks like a good one. its the first that i've seen that utilizes twin single row oem type bearings on either side. intersting. nevertheless, a good carrier.

deathman53
09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I had a twin row carrier fail on it, it threw the chain and wiped out the sprocket hub. I don't see how the a twin single bearings would be much different, if the outside or inside bearing fails, it will cause the good bearing to have excess side load and it will fail real soon also. This isn't a new idea for a carrier, stock trx450r carriers are like this, one side has 1 single bearing and other side has 2 single bearings. The longest wearing and highest side load resistance is a tapered carrier, it also requires the most attention and bearings aren't sealed, it won't work for about 1/2 the people out there.

86 Quad R
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
good points but anything is better than a single on each side. i've got the tapered bearing in two quads and the single twin in the others. the tapered requires a constant monitoring and is the least suited for wet/gritty conditions. and its a must to have tip top seals. whereas, the tapered is more forgiving as it as seals within the bearings themselves and as long as the carrier seals are kept good, life is prolonged a lot longer.

i'd be interested in trying those dual single's on each side.:cool:

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I just ordered one... I'll let you know how it is. Company has great feedback, and the warranty is nice.

James

86 Quad R
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
cool! you really cant beat it for the price. i think the last time i purchased a "bearing kit" (included the 2 seals, 2 bearings and the center sleeve) it was like 82 bux.

thedeatons
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Yah, my daughter's billet DRR carrier cost more than this one... LOL

Two bearings are definitely better than one. I had one per side, if either fails I am screwed. At least if one of the twin row bearings fail I will have more time. Even with one failed I will still have the strength of the stocker....

James

croat1
09-24-2009, 10:45 PM
i agree you cannot beat the price. one thing i would be carefull of is the brand of bearing they supply. for that price i would say that they use a very cheap loose tolerance bearing. i use nothing but SKF bearings in my bikes. they are expensive but they last.

i am going to get one also

thedeatons
10-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, the carrier doesn't exactly fit like I expected.

Keep in mind this is a Leager swingarm, so it may just be production tolerances...

The old carrier said JP AH1 on it, single row carrier. I had to beat it out with a large rubber mallet.

This carrier I beat halfway in, and now it is stuck. I tried squeezing it using my floor jack under the rear end of my 2006 GMC Dually, and it won't budge.

Next step is to try to get it back out, then take everything to the machine shop and see which one they can turn down for more clearance..... I really don't like the way the Leager swingarm doesn't open all the way up in the back, only the sides are slotted....

James

Aceman
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
This carrier I beat halfway in, and now it is stuck. I tried squeezing it using my floor jack under the rear end of my 2006 GMC Dually, and it won't budge.

Next step is to try to get it back out, then take everything to the machine shop and see which one they can turn down for more clearance..... I really don't like the way the Leager swingarm doesn't open all the way up in the back, only the sides are slotted....

Your going to machine either your carrier or your swinger? Don't you think you should find out which one is the problem first? I don't understand why you'd consider machining your swinger to give it more clearance when for all you know the new carrier might of been machined oversize on accident? That sounds like a good way to ruin a swinger for any other carrier...

What you should be asking for is the dimensions of other members swinger ID openings and/or carrier OD's. Then go from there.:ermm:

thedeatons
10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I fixed the problem.

James

86 Quad R
10-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by thedeatons
I fixed the problem.

James

.... what did ya end up doing to fix the problem? juss curious. :cool:

ny250r
10-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Let me guess...one of the o-rings was catching inside the swingarm? I have the same Mazur ATV carrier and it has stood up to 2 years of harescrambles with only routine greasing.

86 Quad R
10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
ehhhh!! musta been something as simple....... him hasnt replied back as of yet. :o

thedeatons
10-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I'll reply back after I get back into town. I want to make the fix "proper" before posting pics... No big deal...

James