PDA

View Full Version : apex 90 advice

teamcorndog
09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Well my son just gave up his lt80 for a apex 90. First ride down the steet is in the books. Quad came in a box some assembly required easy. Just looking for any tips or advise(and not the kind that I sould have bought something else I can get that on other threads). So any advice would be help full thank you. O ya he mostly rides for fun but we do a flat track curcuit here locally.

teamcorndog
09-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Come on guys 49 looky lous and no replies?

nordic quad
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I had my son try out his first Apex on an open field.the kids need to get used to the Apex higher stall speed,hopefully you will have moore luck then we had with ours we had to change jets,adjust needle clip,change rollers and torque spring,but once dialed in these quads are fast.Best advice is patiance with your son getting used to his new quad and dad need to get used to wrench a lot more on this quad then on the bullet proof Lt 80.

redonkulousruntsracing
09-26-2009, 07:11 AM
It seems that every Apex I've been around needs to tuned when you get them, so expect that, and from what I've seen no 2 are the same. I know of 4 50's that were ordered the same week from Apex, and they are all different. But once dialed in, they are very reliable and absolutely rock on the track. Keep the slipper sprocket torqued, keep the chain tensioner loose, run at least 100 octane gas, and get it jetted right and you will be happy.
It really is a love/hate relationship with an Apex, but I wouldn't have a different quad.

teamcorndog
09-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys! We have only got about 15min on it so far, but every thing seems good. Will be riding tomorrow for a while so I will be packing extra tools just in case. thanks again.

nordic quad
09-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Well we had the first track test with the 100 cc Apex today after installing a brand new engine we got from the main Scandinavian Apex importer,it came complete with carb and trottle cable with every thing dialed in,jets,needle clip and cluthcing everything,i did not touch a screw for the whole 5 hrs interval training.:D

teamcorndog
09-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Well everything was tuned awsome. Idle was good and so was top end. Kid loved it! Until about 1hr into riding when it started sputering and backfiring on top end, still idled great. My thinking is that something is in the carb., but to flustrated to check it out today. Good project for tomorrow night.

redonkulousruntsracing
09-28-2009, 07:05 AM
It happens, also they say to change the fuel filter after a couple of hours on a brand new unit. I know I did.

teamcorndog
09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes sir cleaned the carb. new filter good to go. Jetted pretty rich thou.

KLCRACING
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Keep an eye on the axle nut, swingarm nut, and rear sprocket bolts. Also check rear shock upper mount for cracks, especially if your rider is a bigger kid.

FISH ON!
10-06-2009, 07:32 PM
You made a good choice in quads. We lucked out on ours and didn't have to change a thing. Jetting was a little rich but perfect for break in. The stock torque spring didn't last to long. We had to file and sand the radiator rim where the cap goes to get it to quit leaking fluid out the cap. Had some air inleakage on intake as well........(with GNCC air box edition it can be a little tricky to ensure the carb is seated correctly until you get the hang of it.) You should always go through it and locktite and paint pen most bolts/screws. The APEX folks keep making it more race ready straight out of the box. We just uncrated a new one and haven't even had time to even start it. The new stock shocks are by far the best offered in stock form. A great choice for those who can't turn around and buy Elka's or run a class that requires stock shocks like GNCC limited class. We started two years ago with a Can-Am 90X........man what a learning experience. Got smarter and bought a DRR..... loved it and had the best technical support out there but somebody swiped that quad from us. Boy that hurt! The opportunity for an APEX presented itself and it's been a great quad. I can honestly say if you want the best straight out of the box quad........ go APEX hands down. If you don't have to stay stock, have the bucks and like to tinker, you can't go wrong with DRR or APEX. Good Luck

Todd

BTW...... No Gatoraid, milk jug, dryer hose, etc, etc, on this machine's air filter. It has a factory aluminum air box that handled a one hour race in the extreme mud pictured with no problem at all. Some say the longer intake is harder to tune but I don't believe that is true if I can get it right.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/striperfishn/Yadkinville09-1.jpg

teamcorndog
10-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Thank-you everybody! I'm pretty pleased so far. The bike was already ran when I got it, and as far as I have experienced most stuff new comes jetted for sea level. This came with a 120 main jet, 40 pilot and the needle in the middle. Proably will drop those one size. All the bolts did already have paint marks on them thought that was cool. My boy really likes it and boy it is way more powerful than his lt80. We'll see how he stacks up against kids 3or4 years his senior in about 3 weeks when his flattrack season starts. Wish him luck and thanks for all the tips(keepem coming).

JAG Motosports
10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I saw a 2010 at the track Sat night and I'll tell you what, for a stock quad it is set-up nice. It had everything...adjustable shocks, roundhouse swingarm, nice a-arms, filter box ect... Very nice. DRR better step-up their game.

nordic quad
10-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Well our 100cc Apex has been running well too,its an 07 standard travel with Elka shocks and brand new engine with all the uppgrades,also came jetted with #40 pilot and #120 main.We also tought about the XC intake but it wont fit with the pipe we are running now(custom)Scroll down on pics in link to see Sondre run the dryer vent hose in a 10min MX race,pics show the dryest part of the track:devil: :

http://www.finslandcrossklubb.com/html/cup_2009_-del_1.html

ecmini1
10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Apex is an awsome mini.
Alot of these problem would have been resolved if it was bought and set up by a Apex dealer. Then the dealer will back the machine up if a problem comes up. No dealing with Greg at this point. You might pay alittle more but less down time and head banging trying to figure out problems on your own goes away.

Enjoy your Apex.:D

teamcorndog
10-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I don't think anybody on this thread is complaning. My sons apex has been great, just had to clean the carb. after first tank of gas(just like the handbook says to do). I thought I was buying my quad from a dealer (west coast quads) but maybe they are just putting up a front? Ya I agree this quad is pretty awsome and so does my son. Thanks everybody for your help.

ecmini1
10-10-2009, 01:52 PM
FYI
West Coast quads is Apex. and vise versa. It is a front for apex to sell to the public.

teamcorndog
10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks that kinda what I thought.