PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of GOOD CNC jobs available?

Warnerade
09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, some of you know that I had a really good job as a CNC machinestright out of highschool...it got slow and I took a volunatary lay off to enjoy my summer, well it kept getting worse and worse and they actually started laying people off. Its been 4 months now and I am tired of waiting. Looking around my area and in michigan there isnt much. I need a job that is willing to put me through school, I have 3 years completed and am currently in my 4th year...something that will transfer all of my credits over. I would prefer something non-production, dealing with very large parts on a boring mill,as that is what I have ran for the past year and is what I prefer.

Sounds picky I know...but theres gotta be something out there.

Moving isnt an issue either.

Thanks in advance.

CNC_guy
09-24-2009, 06:59 AM
We were really slow at the first of the year but things really picked up over the summer and it seems that's going to be the case through the end of the year. I'm hoping that's a good sign for our industry as a whole.

Are you an operator or do you program and design as well?

blacknblue#2
09-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Dont feel bad, you guys arent the only machinist that are having it rough. I got the lay off on june 11. I had been lookin for a job ever since. Ive always ran large parts and have experience with boring mills and VTLs both. I have done my own program editing on every job ive ever set-up so im not much a button pusher and i cant find a thing. Im 45 minutes from Cincinnati which is suppose to be one of the biggest citys in the machining industry. I finally got to the point where ill take anything that pays decent. Right now im in the process of trying to get a job as a guard at a maximum security prison. I loved machining but hey this is 18 bucks an hour starting out and a state job so dang good benefits.

Warnerade
09-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
We were really slow at the first of the year but things really picked up over the summer and it seems that's going to be the case through the end of the year. I'm hoping that's a good sign for our industry as a whole.

Are you an operator or do you program and design as well? I have never really designed anything I've made, but I do program, setup, and run everything on my own. Designing something wouldnt be a problem, I love stuff like that.

usp4u
09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Penn United Technology in Sarver, Pa. Always hiring. My cousin is a operates lathe & CNC mill there. Ride & race with a bunch of guys that work there as well. Low cost of living around here as well.
http://www.pennunited.com/

"Current open positions: CNC Programmer"

cdrookie
09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
penn united would be a long drive for someone from michigan who says relocation isn't an option. they've layed people off also, we have (at least) 4 of their former employees who left when it started looking like lay off time, granted they did have 700+ employees.

usp4u
09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
penn united would be a long drive for someone from michigan who says relocation isn't an option. they've layed people off also, we have (at least) 4 of their former employees who left when it started looking like lay off time, granted they did have 700+ employees.
I believe he said "moving isnt an issue." ;) They are known for putting their people through school as well, which is something OP desires. It depends on what department your 4 guys were in. I know the CNC dept. slowed a bit, but they are usually SLAMMED. Idk, my cousing is still getting his 40/week.

Also there is this place...http://www.oberg.com/ --same idea--tool & die.

cdrookie
09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
i had to reread it 4 times to realize what he meant:eek:
i need to get back on day shift, night shift sucks!!

also, did you post your resume on one/some of the employment sites(monster, etc)? i've had good luck in the past doing that. if you like to travel, places like high valley and in place machine always are looking for machinists, they pay good but usually don't offer benefits.

IcutMetl
09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I noticed you were from Toledo? You should check out Ort Tool & Die in lower Michigan. Biggest job shop I've ever seen; up till about a year ago, they were working 60-70 hours a week doing a lot of windpower work. All walks of life when it comes to machinery, but LARGE windmill gearbox castings that you could almost stand up in are a specialty. Not sure if they're hiring right now, but I've heard talk of them getting a lot of work in recently, and know that they pay pretty damn well too.

IcutMetl
09-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Blacknblue- you're roughly near the Cincinnasti area? You are right- Cincinnati used to be one of THE metalworking hubs of the world back in the day. Fosdick, LeBlond, Monarch, Cincinnati Milicron, you could go on and on and on. Also Chicago-land & Cleveland were pretty big on the map as well. You'd be surprised how much is still going on in those areas...it's tough, but if you have your spit together there are still jobs out there. If you are ever in the Mason area, check to see if Makino is hiring any Field Service guys. I worked with them for about 10 months in Field Service, and after programming/ running a HAAS in a small family job shop, working on Makinos felt like you went from driving a Cavalier to a twin turbo Ferarri. Phenomenal company, had some killer benefits and room to move too. Not sure if they're hiring, but working for a top 3-4 global company like that really opens up a LOT of doors, and let me tell ya...I don't know what your background is, but I saw so many different shops doing things so many different ways it was a real eye opener. Ended up getting that job from a recruiter all the way in New York just for having my resume on Monster.com. Check it out; couldn't hurt...when OEM's hire for service people, sometimes geographical location doesn't really matter.

IcutMetl
09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Blacknblue- you're roughly near the Cincinnasti area? You are right- Cincinnati used to be one of THE metalworking hubs of the world back in the day. Fosdick, LeBlond, Monarch, Cincinnati Milicron, you could go on and on and on. Also Chicago-land & Cleveland were pretty big on the map as well. You'd be surprised how much is still going on in those areas...it's tough, but if you have your spit together there are still jobs out there. If you are ever in the Mason area, check to see if Makino is hiring any Field Service guys. I worked with them for about 10 months in Field Service, and after programming/ running a HAAS in a small family job shop, working on Makinos felt like you went from driving a Cavalier to a twin turbo Ferarri. Phenomenal company, had some killer benefits and room to move too. Not sure if they're hiring, but working for a top 3-4 global company like that really opens up a LOT of doors. Ended up getting that job from a recruiter all the way in New York just for having my resume on Monster.com. Check it out; couldn't hurt...when OEM's hire for service people, sometimes geographical location doesn't really matter.

IcutMetl
09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
If you're near any metro city, look for shops that are into medical/dental, aerospace, nuclear, windpower, millitary, oil & gas, solar/energy...stuff like that. Out of all the markets, those are the ones that are on average the most busy, and stand the biggest chance of staying the busiest. If you're a person that's worth the pay you're asking for this is where the dollars come from. Up here in Cleveland area, I'm amazed at how much industry is left even after you drive around and see all the manufacturing ghetto buildings that are left. At one point, Cuyahoga county was...and still may be within the top 5 in the country for metalworking machinery and tooling sales just due to the variety of business.

I would DEFINITELY recommend building a strong, complete resume, and posting it on Monster.com and careerbuilder.com. That would be my first step. Good luck!

Warnerade
09-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I noticed you were from Toledo? You should check out Ort Tool & Die in lower Michigan. Biggest job shop I've ever seen; up till about a year ago, they were working 60-70 hours a week doing a lot of windpower work. All walks of life when it comes to machinery, but LARGE windmill gearbox castings that you could almost stand up in are a specialty. Not sure if they're hiring right now, but I've heard talk of them getting a lot of work in recently, and know that they pay pretty damn well too. hahahaha thats funny, thats where I got laid off from. I was running a boring mill for a year and the past 6 months I was running the biggest boring mill in the shop. I averaged 58 hours a week last year (and thats with having a month off due to a broken wrist, all the 0's are counted)

trust me...there isnt much work going through the place right now I just stopped in 2 weeks ago

IcutMetl
09-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Haha, I thought about it after I posted that message. How ironic. Have you checked out Pump Engineering or Fedco? I think those are 2 shops in that general region...both deal in fluid power, not sure if they're hiring. Well, hopefully something works out for you. Good luck!