PDA

View Full Version : Honda 400EX Cam Change???

ghawkman
01-12-2003, 10:41 PM
I have an "01" Honda 400EX with a K&N, White Bros. E Series Pipe, 2 Sizes up on main jet, and moved the clip down on the needle and it runs great, but still not the power that it could really have so my next step is a New CAM. Which CAM is the best for this setup? What is common, realiable and is there any more modifications I could make or should make??

Also, do I need to change my pilot jet? What would it help??

Thank you!

VegasEx'r
01-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Well there are only about a million or so cams available for the ex motor, so it should be easy, right?

When you say you want a new cam, do you want JUST a cam (ie a drop-in) or are you willing to hard face the rockers, install stiffer springs, etc? Also what kind of riding do you do, and where in the powerband do you want the power? Or do you just want an overall increase in power?
I am partial to the Hot Cams. They are inexpensive & don't require a core. Stage 1 is for more bottom & mid power, Stage 2 is for more mid & top power (although I didn't notice a loss of bottom end power w/ mine). There are others, too, most notably Sparks & TC. Both make a drop in cam, and both are good (I don't think that Sparks or TC make anything that suck, so if you buy from them, you should be happy). I think they both require a core, and they are a little more than the Hot Cams.

knighttime
01-13-2003, 08:10 AM
I dont know what kind of power u r lookin for, but an XR 400 cam is a definite improvement and all u have to do is put in viton valve seals. I know it doesnt give u the most power, but it is still very good.

Scott400EX
01-13-2003, 09:14 AM
If you want bang for the buck get a hotcams stage 2. Global Moto outlet has them for 119.95!! thats the cheapest i have seen them for sale. you could also check ebay.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-13-2003, 10:59 AM
I agree for a good cheap drop in cam that will not be hard on your rockers the Stage2 Hot Cam is a good way to go.

OCCRA288
01-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I know with my new JE 10.5:1 piston and hotcam stage 2 I have TONs of bottom and it pulls all the way to the top.

MikEXtreme
01-14-2003, 07:48 AM
What do you guys mean by drop-in CAM?

01-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by MikEXtreme
What do you guys mean by drop-in CAM?

You don't need hardened rockers or heavier springs mainly. you can pull out your stock cam and "drop in" the hot cams or whatever drop in cam you purchase.

luvmyex
01-14-2003, 04:08 PM
When putting in a new hotcam what all is involved?Do you have to take off the decompressor assembly and flange from the stock and put it on the hotcam? and do you take out the spring and plunger or leave it in?

Steven
01-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Hotcams stage1 works best if you are keeping the stock compression ratio. Get the stage 2 if you are bumping the compression ratio via aftermarket piston.

Glamis400ex
01-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Hey ghawkman,

I just put 2 an 2 together and noticed your similiar post a GD.com I am Sandslinger on GD.com

I am doing the same thing you are, cam and piston, I actually responded to your question. I'm not sure I will do the work myself, I don't have all the tools and frankly, I don't trust myself yet. If you know your way around a motor, maybe we could help each other out.

I live in Escondido, kinda by North County Fair...Let me know or PM or e-mail me.

Later,

Glamis

MikEXtreme
01-15-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Steven
Hotcams stage1 works best if you are keeping the stock compression ratio. Get the stage 2 if you are bumping the compression ratio via aftermarket piston.

When purchasing an aftermarket piston, does the head nessesarly need to be bored out? What is the stock Compression ratio?:huh

01-15-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by MikEXtreme
When purchasing an aftermarket piston, does the head nessesarly need to be bored out? What is the stock Compression ratio?:huh

No it does not need to be bored and teh stock compression i believe is 9:1..

Look into XRonly's stage 1 and 2 cams they have now..honda parts in a honda motor..can't go wrong there...I"m still leary of these hotcams..:confused:

MikEXtreme
01-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Rico
No it does not need to be bored and teh stock compression i believe is 9:1..

Look into XRonly's stage 1 and 2 cams they have now..honda parts in a honda motor..can't go wrong there...I"m still leary of these hotcams..:confused:

What set-up do you have? Did you do it yourself? Have been reading and the 416 seems to be the most reliable....

hotex
01-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Why are you leary of the Hot Cams?

Tony

hotex
01-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Sales Hot Cams.

Tony

Braff1
02-02-2003, 12:10 PM
I am going to be installing a hot cams stage 1 soon and was wondering if I should continue to use my old rockers or install new ones. My 400 ex is a 1999 but only has moderate amount of ride time on it with frequent oil changes (every 2-3 rides).

thanks,
Dan

Colby@C&DRacing
02-02-2003, 02:34 PM
My 440 is a 99 and has had a web cam in it since it was new with the stock rockers and they are just fine. I run amsoil and change it often.:)