PDA

View Full Version : 2009 z400 or kfx 450??

700Xxrida
09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
hi i am looking at either a 2009 z 400 or 2009 kfx 450.
but i cant dicide i want a quad thats good for trail ridding and hillclimbing. right now i have a 400ex but i need something with a little more power but still has reverse. also i like the raptor 700r witch one do you think is good for me.

jimmyjames1700
09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by 700Xxrida
hi i am looking at either a 2009 z 400 or 2009 kfx 450.
but i cant dicide i want a quad thats good for trail ridding and hillclimbing. right now i have a 400ex but i need something with a little more power but still has reverse. also i like the raptor 700r witch one do you think is good for me.

I sold my Z400 two years ago and updated to a KFX450R myself. I absolutely love my Kawi for trail riding. It feels so much lighter and more nimble than the Z, I'm really impressed with how reliable it has been for me also.

Overall, I don't think you could go wrong with either especially coming from a 400ex because both will be an upgrade in power and handling. I just think you will get more for your money with the KFX450R.

yfzrider690
09-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I have a yfz450 and my dad has a raptor 700. Both are gonna be a big improvement over your 400ex. I have rode the kfx450 and personally didn't like the way it felt. I like that my yfz sits low to the ground. I would get the raptor if you are looking for something with reverse.

2muchquad
09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
after riding sport quads (cannondales,250rs,450 hondas etc)you really dont realize how much reverses comes in handy in real world trail situations,sure the power of the 450s are fun but i can go anywhere and climb anything on my z with the 440 kit that i could on a 450 PLUS i got reverse and the power isnt too far off,it wont pull as far on the topend as the 450s but thats not where i ride anyhow:)

yfzrider690
09-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I ride more trails than I do anything else and I thought I wouldn't like my 450 because of not have reverse. I had a raptor 660 before. But I don't mind it at all. I usually don't get stuck so that probably helps out. My uncle has a z with a 440 kit and his bike is no where close to mine. We drag race and I smoke him through all gears. So I don't know how you can say that the power is almost the same.

airmobile101
09-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Ok, we can sit here all day and night and decide what bike whips what. So, Im gonna tell yea straight forward from a racers point of view. The KFX450 is a POS. No, Im not saying that because I'm bias. Those damn bikes have so much troubles with the throttle body, fuel pump and head gasket. Thats not to mention the frames cracking since its aluminum. Yea, maybe its just me, but the damn things seem to never finish a race. People claim the cdi has something to do with it. Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that thing is a turd when it comes to racing XC. If anybody has a issue with what I say, I'll be more than happy to post results to shut your mouth and put you in your place. If you want an all around bike for trails and dunes, get a Raptor or a KTM 525. If you can't roll that kinda money, then get something that has a carb.

2muchquad
09-24-2009, 12:02 AM
i said the power isnt too far off,it doesnt pull as hard up top,but thats mine im talking about.Remember Doug Gust was riding a z400 and winning against the 450s before the ltr450 came out,its not like the z400 is dated.the yfz 450 are actually a older design than the Z,they originated from the yz400 mx bike which debuted in 98';) If you have ever ran a harescramble race and have come across a huge bottleneck..you'll appreciate reverse:)

airmobile101
09-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
i said the power isnt too far off,it doesnt pull as hard up top,but thats mine im talking about.Remember Doug Gust was riding a z400 and winning against the 450s before the ltr450 came out,its not like the z400 is dated.the yfz 450 are actually a older design than the Z,they originated from the yz400 mx bike which debuted in 98';) If you have ever ran a harescramble race and have come across a huge bottleneck..you'll appreciate reverse:)
True,but you got to remember Doug wasn't running a 398cc engine. He was running a fully built 450 engine by Yoshi based off the DRZ400 engine.

yfzrider690
09-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Ya and he is a pro rider that is good. I also have heard that the kfx450 is garbage as well.

2muchquad
09-24-2009, 12:17 AM
well for the original question,a z would be the better trail quad.Sure my banshee is the fastest quad i own,followed by my tricked 250r,BUT my z is the most trailable of them all.Im 37yrs old so having the most peak horsepower in the woods isnt a priority anymore:)

yfzrider690
09-24-2009, 12:20 AM
I agree that the z is a great trail bike but so is the raptor. It's not the number one selling sport bike for no reason. I'm not saying that the fastest is the best for the trails. You can only go so fast anyways in the woods. The raptor has better suspension than the z. I have a z and the shocks are ok but he raptor is better.

jimmyjames1700
09-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Ok, we can sit here all day and night and decide what bike whips what. So, Im gonna tell yea straight forward from a racers point of view. The KFX450 is a POS. No, Im not saying that because I'm bias. Those damn bikes have so much troubles with the throttle body, fuel pump and head gasket. Thats not to mention the frames cracking since its aluminum. Yea, maybe its just me, but the damn things seem to never finish a race. People claim the cdi has something to do with it. Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that thing is a turd when it comes to racing XC. If anybody has a issue with what I say, I'll be more than happy to post results to shut your mouth and put you in your place. If you want an all around bike for trails and dunes, get a Raptor or a KTM 525. If you can't roll that kinda money, then get something that has a carb.

I think you must be confusing the Kawi for a Can-Am Ds450 or something. Besides 2 pro KFX riders finished in the top 5 this year in points in the AMA Nationals and Kawi finished 2nd in the manufacurers points, you are dillusional.

And don't listen to this fool about his made up list of problems because as far as reliability goes, the Kawi has very few problems and has been one of the more reliable 450's out there.

It's a great bike as are all the other 450's out there but this one is good trail machine and is much lighter, makes alot more stock horsepower stock than the Z and not to mention has reverse to.

Jimbo M
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, we have both a 2005 Kawasaki KFX 400 and a 2008 Kawasaki KFX 450R. Both great quads. First I'd like to address the comments about the 450R being garbage. My son has it set up for motocross with Gibson long travel a-arms, Fox Floats, Motowoz rear shock, Fuel intake, Dasa full exhaust, Power commander and cams. Been racing it for 2 years with ZERO mechanical issues. I take that back, it overheated one time. I race the 400 in a XC series and other than crashing into too many trees, its been fine. The 450r will rip the lungs out of the 400 and out handle it by a mile. The 450R is very light and nimble compared to the 400, which feels top heavy and tippy. Really it depends on what you're going to do with your quad. I'd hate to spend the money on the 400 and later realize down the road that you need or want more power. And remember any car, quad or motorcycle can be a lemon right off the dealer floor.

KAWIRYDER
09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I also have had both the KFX400 and currently own the KFX450. I would have to say the 400 had a smoother power for riding the trails and the gearing was spot on. The handling was very predictable and easy. Now the KFX450 is a whole different animal. The power is spot on and it is very flickable almost to much combined with the power. If I was looking for a good trail machine with excellent power and very manuverable , I would buy the LTZ400. If you are looking for a machine that you have to hold on to because its pulling you all over the country side then get the KFX450 because it won't let you down.

Pappy
09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
We have been testing one for over a year now. Other then teh hardware being chinsey and it being a vibration monster...so far its been a good quad.

It gets 2 GNCC's back to back now then the article...we will see!

jimmyjames1700
09-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
We have been testing one for over a year now. Other then teh hardware being chinsey and it being a vibration monster...so far its been a good quad.

It gets 2 GNCC's back to back now then the article...we will see!

Yeah, I can only think of 3 things to complain about with my KFX450R. One being vibration at upper RPM's being transmitted throught the handle bars but I fixed mine right away by installing Fasst Co. anti-vibe bushings in the bar ends for $50. No more Vibe.

The other is the stock tires are don't hook up to well in the loose stuff. I switched to Holeshot GNCC's now and the bite is way better now.

Lastly, the seat was very stiff at first but after two years of 70 mile trail rides almost every weekend I don't even notice it anymore.

As far as it being chinsey, that's your opinion and that's cool but I compared it to every other 450 out there when I bought mine and I thought it seemed like it was built more sturdy and engineered out better the rest.

airmobile101
09-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by jimmyjames1700
I think you must be confusing the Kawi for a Can-Am Ds450 or something. Besides 2 pro KFX riders finished in the top 5 this year in points in the AMA Nationals and Kawi finished 2nd in the manufacurers points, you are dillusional.

And don't listen to this fool about his made up list of problems because as far as reliability goes, the Kawi has very few problems and has been one of the more reliable 450's out there.

It's a great bike as are all the other 450's out there but this one is good trail machine and is much lighter, makes alot more stock horsepower stock than the Z and not to mention has reverse to.

Its nice to know that it can finish a moto with a FULL BLOWN race team. Now, since the majority of us or myself doen't have that type of support, I guess I'll go on being a fool and dillusional about my made up list of problems it has. Maybe Kawasaki should get back into the XC1 class in GNCC . I'm sure they will be right up there with the rest of them with the right rider and a semi full of spare OEM parts:blah:

2muchquad
09-28-2009, 02:34 PM
m sure they will be right up there with the rest of them with the right rider and a semi full of spare OEM parts

he said it not me..lol:D i remember when the cannondale came out and it had issues,everybody was quick to make excuses or come up with some "band aide" of sorts for them,well the bottom line was for 8grand a rider shouldnt have had to buy "update kits" for a quad,you know what i mean..

250Renvy
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I tell you what, I'll give you better advice than anybody on here.

Don't listen to anybody. Make the decision for yourself. How you do that is find people that have the machines and try them out. Now admittedly finding a used 2009 LTZ400 will be kinda hard, but maybe find a dealer nearby that has some test models.

When I was getting back into quads I had only ever had a 250R and a blaster. I thought I wanted a 450R so I went to a number of people selling used quads and tried out a 450R, 400ex, 300ex, Warrior etc.

Thinking I wanted a 450 of some sort later on, I found a number of dealerships that allowed tests and test road a KFX and a KTM, both seem like good machines, the KFX is a little cheaper.

However hands down if it wasn't for the money the trail machine I would buy is the Can-am Renegade.

I have a 2006 LTZ400 and unless there is a miracle number of the changes for 09, it's got problems. I like the motor, but hate the way it feels. It is like a 400ex - tall and tippy feeling. I'm sure aftermarket shocks and a-arms and and axle could fix that but for the money you might as well go for a KTM.
The Raptor will probably have the power but it's really tall and tippy.

Another thing to find out for yourself is how it feels - everybody had different heights and body weights and arm lengths and that plays a big part.

700Xxrida
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
thanks for all the replys i think i am guna go with da kfx 450 because it fits me better but how high is the kfx geared compared to the z 400 and raptor

KAWIRYDER
10-02-2009, 06:57 PM
It is geared a little higher than the kfx400. I put a 13 tooth front sprocket to gear it down for crawling up the rocky hills on the trails. As for the raptor I am not sure. I'm sure someone on here will know.

jimmyjames1700
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
thanks for all the replys i think i am guna go with da kfx 450 because it fits me better but how high is the kfx geared compared to the z 400 and raptor

It is geared perfect for tight trails but you will definitely find yourself flying through the gears on the straight sections. Top speed is about 73 ish stock even with the holeshot gearing but the motor has enough power to drop a tooth in the rear and get an extra 4 mph without losing much lowend.

If you start modding the exhaust or intake, you can also add a tooth to the front counter sprocket and get a load more top speed and still have more than enough grunt.

700Xxrida
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
tomorow i am geting the kfx 450 r monster engerny, do you guys think 7800 otd is a good price

250Renvy
10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
tomorow i am geting the kfx 450 r monster engerny, do you guys think 7800 otd is a good price

Depends where you are located, but I'd say absolutely not.

You should be able to pick one of these up for $6000.

KAWIRYDER
10-03-2009, 08:47 PM
You should be able to pick up an 08 or an 09 for a little over 6000 OTD. That's what they are going for here.

700Xxrida
10-04-2009, 04:52 PM
well i got my kfx today and i talked him down to 7000 otd for the monster engerny ed. Right after i got it i took it to the local gravel pits there are a quite a few steep climbs and a coupel step up jumps. secound climb i did on it it fliped twice but the i got a hold of it. also it jumps pritty well took it of a 55 foot double with no problems, the tires arent the best so i ordered maxxis razr 2 rear tires and hiphers with lime green bead locks thant is guna look nasty when the come in

Nick C
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I just sold my KFX 450 after 3 seasons riding it. I had no issues with it. The features are the best with FI, reverse. Its not even the lightest 450 so what good is aluminum! I added brass bar inserts for the vibration which helped, Fuel customs intake and Motoworks SR4 full exaust. The power was GREAT and ergoes were spot on for my 5'9'' height. The seat is the WORST ever and my quadtech seat kit helped but wasnt worth the price, even their foam is somewhat hard. If you do buy one get a used kfx 450 with aftermarket parts. Im looking into a Z400 because of all the great things said about it. One thing I learned about atv's is that Power isnt everything, If your not comfortable or if you need to spend a good amount of $$$ to get it where you want it, then its not worth it. New kfx 450's are going for $5000 here in S.E. Wis, no lie. dealers cant get rid of them!!!