PDA

View Full Version : lt 80 please help

bowman39
09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
i just put new top end on my sons. it fired rite up but i for got to hook up fuel line so after whats in the carb burned out it stoped. took awile to get any respone the it let out a loud backfire and has not started since. ive got 2 new starters because it seems it wont turn the motor but i can easy turn with my hand so its no locked up. some one please steer me in the right direction thanks.
I know im new here any help is better than no help.

LT80
09-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)
Your saying that the problem is:: the motor will not spin over using the start button?

bowman39
09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
thanks for the quick responce.No the starter button is fine. I installed a new top end on it and it fired up first try . I forgot to hook up fuel line so when the fuel left in the carb ran out it died. after about a hr it would not start come close but no go . all the sudden a lould backfire .since the i have replaced the stator, the starter , the coil ohms fine but not sure. the starter struggles to turn engine. it my be going out as manny times as i tried it. could the backfire cause a promblem with the reed. i know im all over the place .this thang is really kicking my but.

LT80
09-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Really weird. Seems it's 2 problems.
Starter and spark??
I wonder if the motor lost ground. Install the ground wire after rebuild? I put a extra wire from frame to motor to insure a good ground.
Bad plug?
Which way did you put the arrow on the top of the piston?

bowman39
09-24-2009, 10:56 PM
replaced starter now im getting good fire from the plug. not getting fuel but i took that thing of 2 cleaning it but is there a way to check it so i will no for sure.Could bypassingoil pump and now mixing my own gas cause carb issues.

LT80
09-25-2009, 06:41 AM
i took that thing of 2 cleaning it but is there a way to check it so i will no for sure

Huh?

bowman39
09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Sorry, I ment I cleaned the carb as much as I new to clean. also If I hold my hand over front of the carb and turn it over it blows gas on my hand is that normal. seems to me it should be going into the reed .

bowman39
09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
also the arrow on the piston is facing the rear. I thank you for your patience . I seen your past post thats why I come to you thank you.

bowman39
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM
here's the update. Did compression test, 125 so thats good. hold sparkplug 8mm away from frame good continuance spark. AND probably gettingto much fuel because i turn over the engine the plug will be wet. ive completing dried out crank case turn fuel line off the spray starter fluid directly into intake still no start.allmost like the spark disappears when i put it in the head. could it somehow jump some kind of timming. i know it has a stator.

JAG Motosports
09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by bowman39
also the arrow on the piston is facing the rear. I thank you for your patience . I seen your past post thats why I come to you thank you.

Arrow should be facing the front, towards the exhaust.

bradrenea
09-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
Arrow should be facing the front, towards the exhaust.

The exhaust comes out the back, not the front.

LT80
09-28-2009, 06:27 AM
I suppose we should check the reed. You mentioned replacing the stator. You aligned the timing marks?
Sometimes a plug is bad, try another new one?
When you try to start it, do you have it full throtle? (try that).

bowman39
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes, marks are lined up. I replaced the reed. Is it possible to have spark outside the cylinder but not inside. could it be the cdi. how can i test the cdi.

LT80
10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bowman39
Is it possible to have spark outside the cylinder but not inside. could it be the cdi. how can i test the cdi.

Yes. Sometimes a plug will not fire under compression.
CDI: you check the resistance with a ohm meter.

bowman39
10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
when I turn the peecock to free flow the gas or hold throttle all the way and try to start the motor spins the stops and stops the starter as well dea in its tracks.then spins then stops. THIS HAPPENS verry quiklly.could it be a air\ fuel promblem.

LT80
10-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Is the cylinder filling with fuel?

bradrenea
10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I am going to guess it's hydrolocking. Mine does that every now and then due to a leaking float needle. I can stand it up on the grab bar, hold the throttle wide open, and bump the starter button until the engine will spin freely again. Once the engine turns freely continue to hold the throttle open and crank the starter and it will eventually start. Just make sure not to overheat the starter.
Reason for standing it on the grab bar is that the fuel will drain out the exhaust since it comes out the back of the cylinder. If you leave it on all fours the fuel stays in the crank case and continues to flood the bike.

bowman39
10-09-2009, 09:00 PM
it all most started standing on back and bump starter almost worked will keep you guys up to date

LT80
10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
It is filling with fuel.
The end result will be a 3 dollar inline on/off valve.
I see em at the autozone in the lawn mower section.

Drain the carb, stand on end and turn motor over (as stated)
pull the plug and spin some more (with a rag catching the fuel) and allow to dry overnight.