PDA

View Full Version : new member, and I need some opinions please

krusher
09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I tryed out another forum, but didnt really get any help, so here I am.

I have just got a 07 trx450er. When I picked it up it ran, but you had to roll start it, so I called the dealer and a couple race shops, and everyone seemed to agree that it just needed the valves shimmed, so I bought it, brought it home, rode it for about 5 minutes, and took it to one of the race shops that I had spoke with the next morning.

Here's where it gets interesting...

the day after I took it down there, he called and said that my valves were on there last shim job, and that my timing chain had stretched and that it needed to be replaced, SO I told him to go ahead and replace it. A couple days later he calls me back and says that I need to replace my crankshaft, and my camshaft, and that it was gonna cost me about 1400.00. He said that even with the new timing chain that it was still to loose and that replacing the crank and cam was the only way to get it back to tight..

I told him to put it back together and I was coming to get it. Once I got it here I fumed a litle bit, and got to thinking, and looking at diagrams on my motor, and saw that there was a sprocket that bolted onto the cam , and started wondering if that could be all that I need to replace, so I called back the honda dealer, and was told that anytime you replace the timing chain, you should replace the cam sprocket, and the chain guide, as well and the plastic part of the tensioner mechanism that the plunger presses into the chain. And the total for the parts for that job equal 117.00. Sounds like its worth a try to avoid 1400.00.

one thing that I forgot to mention, is that the owner of the race shop told me that that type of four wheeler was not what I needed, and that he would buy it for 2800.00.

So I'm thinkin that he might like my quad more than I do and is willing to lie to get me to sell it to him.

does it sound like I might be onto the right fix for it? He said it would run, but that I shouldnt with the timing chain like it is.

exrider12
09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Unless the quad has a ton of hours, and I mean alot. It should not be on its last shim. My 07 had about 50 hours and didnt have the valves adjusted since new. They stayed in spec the whole time.

So I think its a crock. Go find a different shop.

fastredrider44
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Take it to a different shop for sure! even if you're valves were on their last shim, the timing chain whouldn't have anything to do with that. I'm not saying that the chain isn't loose, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the valves being out of adjustment. If you have to roll start it, my best guess is that the valves are bad out of adjustment and the piston and rings are shot, possibly the cylinder. Sounds like a classic case of being ridden with the airfilter dirty.

And 2800 is way too much for a 450R needing a crankshaft, so I'd say he is lyin out his teeth.

wckedclownz69
09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
ive ridden mine hard since 05 and never had valve adjustment till this year... chain wasnt stretched at all valves just got tight cuz not cleaning air filter that much... and the thing that sucks i dont know if 07s are like this but 04/05 you cant take the gear off the crank you have to buy a whole crank.. and cranks run like $300.. cam chains are pretty strong .. i think hes just pulling your leg... deff go to a different shop..and if your chain is loose.. check to make sure your tensioner didn't go bad...

buckeye53
10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
you could buy another perfectly running used motor for that much and more then likely will have mods to it. I would tell that dealer to get bent!

blacknblue#2
10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Ive never saw any of the timing gears wear out. Especially on a probably fairly stock 07. I say replace the chain. Buy a shim kit to do your own valves and put it back together. Sounds like the "Race Shop"thinks your an idiot and is lookin for a money makin deal. If you had to roll start it then i say all it needs is a good valve adjustment. When my intakes get too tight it wont start without a shove either.