PDA

View Full Version : Setting my front shock preload ...

Saul76
09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
OK - so I recently stepped up to a set of Elka front shocks over the stockers. However, I think they might be a tad too stiff.

Should I just try backing off the preload a little and see if it makes the ride a little smoother?

How many turns back should I go?

For comparison - here is the ride height with stockers VS Elkas.

Stockers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/SaulAce/trx/IMG_2517.jpg

Elka's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/SaulAce/trx/elkas/IMG_2991.jpg

Bear in mind I ride rock infested rough trails - so would backing off the preload sgive me more cushion/softness over rocks and small bumps? (I know it will lower my ride height some)

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
you need to loosen the preload some i believe. Your front should sag atleast one inch with no rider on it and my 250r sags more like 4 inches with the rider on it.

Saul76
09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
you need to loosen the preload some i believe. Your front should sag atleast one inch with no rider on it and my 250r sags more like 4 inches with the rider on it.

Doesn't sag at all as it sits now. Back does though.

So - do you think if I let out some preload the ride 'comfort' will improve?

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
Doesn't sag at all as it sits now. Back does though.

So - do you think if I let out some preload the ride 'comfort' will improve?

ooooooooh yes it will ride like a dream when you get them loosened up. Have you ever bottomed out your shocks? if no, then you have your springs to stiff, if you have bottomed out many times, your springs are too soft.

Saul76
09-22-2009, 03:01 PM
ooooooooh yes it will ride like a dream when you get them loosened up. Have you ever bottomed out your shocks? if no, then you have your springs to stiff, if you have bottomed out many times, your springs are too soft.

Can't remember really bottoming out the stockers too bad to be honest - I don't do much 'jumping' just rough trail riding.

Geez - I'm gunna loosen these up tonight I think!

There is a lil allen key set screw (3 mm) so I loosen it up and then can I turn the whole thing by hand or do I need to use something? I know it's best to have the wheels off the ground while doing it right?

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Can't remember really bottoming out the stockers too bad to be honest - I don't do much 'jumping' just rough trail riding.

Geez - I'm gunna loosen these up tonight I think!

There is a lil allen key set screw (3 mm) so I loosen it up and then can I turn the whole thing by hand or do I need to use something? I know it's best to have the wheels off the ground while doing it right?

i think you can easily turn it with your hands, set the quad on a stand or a 5 gallon bucket it will make it easier to turn. Just be sure you always have pressure on the springs when the shock is fully extended.

RyanWsly
09-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Here this may help you out, sure there are places to get info, but here's the one that I know of.

http://www.jet-motorsports.com/id23.html

Saul76
09-22-2009, 05:10 PM
set the front sag to one inch - by that I mean I can grab the front end and lift it a full inch before the tires begin to lift.

We'll see tomorrow if it changes the smoothness of the ride.

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
set the front sag to one inch - by that I mean I can grab the front end and lift it a full inch before the tires begin to lift.

We'll see tomorrow if it changes the smoothness of the ride.

also you can change the spacers between the shocks so that the lightest shock works more of the shaft travel than the middle and big spring...

Saul76
09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
also you can change the spacers between the shocks so that the lightest shock works more of the shaft travel than the middle and big spring...

What do you mean by change them? Like buy different spacers?

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
What do you mean by change them? Like buy different spacers?

go to this link and download the elka manual and read about it a little bit. there some good info in this manual.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/downloads/index.html

click on owners manual. this should tell you everyhitng you need to know and how to set up those shocks for ya.

Saul76
09-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Well well well - just putting an inch of static sag in my front shocks seems to have made a huge difference. Much plusher now.

Honda 250r 001
09-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Well well well - just putting an inch of static sag in my front shocks seems to have made a huge difference. Much plusher now.

Glad we could help!