PDA

View Full Version : 2009 ATVA Extreme Dirt Track ATV Racing - RD#6 - I-81 Speedway - ATV Race Coverage

Pappy
09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Well folks, they say you cant win them all and that fact hit me this round:p After some discussion with the powers that be, it was decided I should arrive early afternoon, catch all the mains and finish up the season.

Upon arrival, the racing was all but over! I was lucky enough to catch the final few mains in the amatuer classes and the Pro main. I do apologise but this was another round that moved so quickly that "usual timing" went out the window.

Race results (http://www.atvriders.com/atvresults/extreme-dirt-track-atv-racing-2009-06-results.html)

Pappy
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
The Pro class championship was on the line here at the final round as Harold Goodman and Micheal Coburn were virtually deadlocked in the points battle

The Pro class heads out to line up for the final practice of the 2009 season

Pappy
09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
This track was tight, and there would be no room for mistakes

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:00 PM
TT racing is some of the fastest and most entertaining to watch, it is a shame we cant get more entries and spectators out to see how much fun these events are

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
The amatuer ranks are full of fast riders, and it doesnt take a wildly built machine to be competitive. There are many classes that should fit most anyone in for some seriously good times.

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
As in any fom of racing, having the right set up means alot, and in this type of racing it can mean everything. From tire type to suspension, every detail can help or hurt your performance.

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Horsepower means little if you cant get it to the ground!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Youth racers are not forgotten here at the EDT Series, and some of these guys flat RIP!!!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:08 PM
If you think making these machines rail the turns is easy, well youre sort of right......but to make the most of it, expierence will teach you how to take a turn at high speed and be gone before you know it! The youth racers are forming those skills and will be the next generation of Pro's country wide!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
There may be speed for the youngsters, but the track is managable by even a new racer. This makes an excellent series to get a new racer in the mix!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I was puzzled the very first time I saw a set up like this years ago, but it works...if it didnt they wouldnt be running it!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Racing is intense at all stages, but to me, the youth and the pro's have the intensity captured in so many ways.

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Taking a class win or winning the championship is a feeling only a few will ever know.

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
For Goodman, this was his last shot at grabbing the championship. Coburn has been hot on him all season and it has made for some great racing.

In the Pro class, attention to detail means everything on the track. The competition is so fierce that the slightest error from the machine or the rider will mean no checkered flag, no champagne and no trophy girl

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Tire compound, tire pressure even tire manufacture seems to be one area that seperates riders. Get it all right, you are out front, get it all wrong and your mid pack or worse battling for position

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
In many forms of racing, stock power is enough and the pressure is more on the rider to preform. Here, in the Pro class, power is a must have and you need alot of it!

Many people I chat with state they have a stock engine and cant compete...and you are wrong! In most of the amatuer classes you will do just fine, and at that level it should be ablout learning and having fun. Stop making excuses and get off the keyboard and on the throttle!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Its all about control

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
It was finally time to get this season completed as the pair of Pros battling for the title were getting things buttoned up for the main

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Zac Willet gets ready to take his position on the starting grid

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Getting those tires hot and sticky!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
On such a tight track, the start was going to be as important as ever

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
The race was on!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
The second row was pouring on the power as the final main of the season was now underway!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
The first turn is always sketchy in most forms of racing, but in TT just getting there can be rough! Thankfully this start was clean and we were racin'!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Coburn nailed the holeshot and was now off and running!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Behind the leaders, the action had broken into 2 main groups and the battles were getting good!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
With 25 laps of racing ahead, a move to early could mean alot of things. The battle behind Coburn was getting tight early on the first lap!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Frank Batista boils the tires as he hammers down looking for a few more spots to pick off

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Any closer and you would need a helmet!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Once teh field started seperating, battles would rage between small groups of riders

Pappy
09-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Coburn held the lead as Goodman does all he can to catch him.

Those storm clouds were looking mean, it may have been a good thing that the event was over early!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Some days just dont go your way

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Coburn looks over to see where Goodman is

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Goodman could close in but did not appear to be able to make a godo run on Coburn

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
The battle ongoing behind the leaders was great!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Getting out of shape is not good!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
It doesnt matter where you are at position wise, the fight goes on!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
#13 Frank batista would spin out and have to work back into the mix

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:36 PM
With Coburn out front and Goodman settling in to 2nd, the racing would get hot and heavy behind the leaders as the laps wore on

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Every turn became an oppertunity

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
One mistake, one wrong move and you went down a position

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Coburn was feeling no pressure and was making no mistakes

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:39 PM
The laps were countng down and I knew we were getting close to the end, but the action was relentless!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
The checkered flag rolled out and Michael Coburn would take the win and teh championship!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Tons of great racing as the riders battled to the final turn

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Coburn was stoked as well he should be, quite an accomplishment in a series filled with talent!!

Pappy
09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
That puts the wrap on an excellent season of racing folks! There needs to be some brain storming to figure out how to get the series growing for 2010~!

bwhobs
09-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the write up and the great pics. Glad you and atvriders.com still support TT racing. THANKS

TRXman86
09-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
That puts the wrap on an excellent season of racing folks! There needs to be some brain storming to figure out how to get the series growing for 2010~!

$$$ Prices for gate fees are INSANE! A good start would be making it affordable for someone that only does 1 maybe 2 per year. I can't see spending dang near $200 just for a few races (NOT including gas and all that...)

Awesome shots as usual!!!

kingdog710
09-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Congrats to Michael on a well deserved championship.

#404's Dad
09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Great pics and write up pappy, wish you'd have gotten there earlier for sure but it is what it is.

I agree they could for sure lessen the fees, some of the tracks really push it like Pine Lake charging full price for a 2 year old to get in ($35 or $40)!!! I also think the Racers should get a discounted entry fee or be free, for my 7 year old to race a couple classes its insane!!

Gate - $25-$40 depending on the track.

Classes - $40 each x 2 $80

Practice - $20 each x 2 $40

Transponder - $20

That is as much as $180 just to hit the track for him, you still have 5 more of us to get in the gate lol.

Ahhh well, there are a lot of things that are great about the EDT and a lot that need changed, same with most all series I suppose?

Scro
09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
$20 to practice??? Now that's rediculous! It seems like the EDT needs a little competition to lower their prices. Are there any other national TT series?

Pappy
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r

I agree they could for sure lessen the fees, some of the tracks really push it like Pine Lake charging full price for a 2 year old to get in ($35 or $40)!!!

That is as much as $180 just to hit the track for him, you still have 5 more of us to get in the gate lol.

Yikes!! I would have had to ***** about charging for a two year old.

And them prices are as bad as hitting abaseball game

#404's Dad
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Scro
$20 to practice??? Now that's rediculous! It seems like the EDT needs a little competition to lower their prices. Are there any other national TT series?

Yeah it's ridiculous for sure, you'd think your Race Fees would cover practice!! I am not aware of any other National TT Series, wish I were though, Anyone know of one?

At this point with The High Cost, The Low Attendance and The Lack of Recognition the Series gets we are considering selling all our stuff, the boy is showing some interest in Racing Bicycles and that HAS to be cheaper right lol.

bwhobs
09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
It does costs too much and if they can't figure out a way to make it more affordable then attendance will just get lower every year!

thekid100
09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
$20 bucks for practice friday afternoon is optional, just like a mx national and its $40 per class just like a mx and xc nationals, and next year there most likey are not going to be transponders but again just like the mx nationals. if your serious about racing it dont matter, i pay $235-$250 to race pro and pro/am but when you do awsoeme dont matter how much it coast

bwhobs
09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by thekid100
$20 bucks for practice friday afternoon is optional, just like a mx national and its $40 per class just like a mx and xc nationals, and next year there most likey are not going to be transponders but again just like the mx nationals. if your serious about racing it dont matter, i pay $235-$250 to race pro and pro/am but when you do awsoeme dont matter how much it coast

Who cares what XC and MX do ? They obviously aren't having the problems that the TT series does, so they can continue to operate like they do. You can afford to pay those fees, but everyone can't. Most of the time there are more TT quads setting at the house on national weekends than at the track. There is a reason for that.

rmfhobson
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
THANKS FOR THE GREAT WRITE UP AND PICS, I'M ALSO GLAD TO SEE YOU AND ATVRIDERS SUPPORTING THIS SERIES. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT THE PRICES ARE HIGH. HOPEFULLY WITH THEM ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS THIS YEAR THEY WILL BE ABLE TO MEET SOME OF THE THINGS THAT PEOPLE ARE TELLING THEM AND GROW THE SERIES FOR NEXT YEAR AND GET SOME OF THESE TT BIKES THAT ARE IN GARAGES OUT AND RACING.

ZWILLETT47
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
THANKS PAPPY !!!!!!!!

C-LEIGH RACING
09-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ZWILLETT47
THANKS PAPPY !!!!!!!!

2Xs that as well.

Pappy,
I realy want to thank you for all your support this season.
Not an easy job showing up at the races, taking pics the whole time & then writing up a FULL report as you do.
Your report on our type of races have realy made my day many times over.
Hope you can make it to the banquet, & again, thanks for a job well done.
Neil

Pappy
09-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I appreciate the kind words....and we do all we can to help keep the info flowing!!

Not sure about the banquet , I dont even know when or where it is:p Usually after next weekend I start chaing deer and ducks with the gun and camera and my travel is final for the year:D

doonanracing
10-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Here is some suggestions I have and from other racers from the past. Has there ever been thought of a stock motor class? As last race I saw there was Pro level motor running in c class and laptime there was really no difference from a to c class. Hard for someone with basicly a stock motor to be competitive. The series backbone is the amaeturs and the Pro's are the ones whom bring the fans to watch. I actually saw one race where a B class rider was just as fast as some Pro-am open class riders. ...
2nd: One of my boys biggest complaints is time of the race. Once you start you are done. You get 4-6 laps. 2 to 3 minute race. Make it 10-15 laps for amatuers or even more. Bang for your buck. To travel 8 to 10 hours most of the time for a 3 minute race has deterred allot of past racers from traveling. MX you get 2 motos which last about 15 minutes each and XC you get an hour race. Just a thought
3rd: Make the heat race count towards weekend points. Use it as a qualifier if needed and also counting it towards the final results. Kind of like MX. If you had a good heat race then had someone spin you out or get caught up in someone elses mess no matter how well your weekend started it will end on a bad note.
4th Use to have 20-30 in each class and have to qualify just to make the main race now lucky to have 10 in an amateur class on a weekend. Maybe less classes and more race time.
5th. TT racing has to get factory involvement. One of the discouraging factors is that most amatuers see most of the Pro's are privateers to say. Maybe one or 2 have factory support but that mainly is because they race other styles of racing. This might be a hard one but probably the most important. Someone has to see a future somehow.
5th. There is allot of great people involved in this sport whom truelly are dedicated to making this style become successful and to be around for years to come. They should be thanked. Maybe take somethings out of what Astabula did this year with XC or side by side because that was an exciting weekend for my son. There is allot of great fast riders and some great people involved. There is no other style of racing like it. It takes a special rider to be successful in this sport. Congradulations to all the National winners.

Kendall33
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
#1 Ashtabula - atmosphere is great -the whole place is really cool - the XC race and SxS race was completely AWESOME this year.... however
-the track is one of the worst for a racer, you cant pass without bumping someone. its not meant for racing. its built for follow the leader, big problem....the only good TT tracks for racers are those with even option lanes. PERIOD.

#2 If a TT quad doesn't have near as much worry for suspension set-up as MX or XC then I've been missing out for my whole time being involved with all three. they are all equal in that aspect if you ask me.

#3 totally agree with the numbers being terrible, when I raced the youth production in 2006 and won the championship there were 25-40 racers at every race, maybe we should figure out why people quit coming by asking them, not assuming or making theories.

Reimer Racing
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
If you ever wanted to try Oval or TT racing here is your chance. Are local is track is hosting a night time race.

Niagara Falls is only 30 minutes away so if you or your kids have never been to the Falls here is or chance. I am going to take people to the Falls on Sat. am.

BIG ATV RACE IN WESTERN NY

¼ mile Clay Oval & TT track

Friday night = Oval racing
Saturday night = TT racing

· 50cc to 450cc
· Money Classes
· Open Classes
· Run what you Brung
· Outlaw Classes
· Pro Classes

ALL MACHINES MUST HAVE A TEHTER

Ø General admission $12.00 (kids 5 and under free)
Ø $20.00 race fee (Except Money classes & Pro Classes)
Ø Friday night- Gates open @ 5pm / Practice @ 7pm
Ø Saturday night- Practice @ 6pm (Camp over Friday night for Saturday)
Ø Saturday will be filled with wheelie contests, 4x4 quad races, UTV races, Kids can enjoy bicycle racing, pumpkin carving, apple dunking, and more! Saturday morning there will be a guided tour to Niagara Falls (30 minutes away)

FOOD VENDOR WILL BE ON SITE THE ENTIRE WEEKEND

Batavia Motor Speedway
3500 Harloff Rd.
Batavia, NY 14020
585-737-5698

badassvforce66
10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
20 MIN FROM BUFFALO NY JUST OFF NY STATE THRUWAY CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR DIRECTIONS

BATAVIA MOTOR SPEEDWAY (BATAVIAMOTORSPEEDWAY.COM)

DIRECTIONS (http://www.bataviamotorspeedway.info//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6)

TRXman86
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by bwhobs
Who cares what XC and MX do ? They obviously aren't having the problems that the TT series does, so they can continue to operate like they do. You can afford to pay those fees, but everyone can't. Most of the time there are more TT quads setting at the house on national weekends than at the track. There is a reason for that.

What you said here has pretty much 0 logic. nationals yes, there are plenty of riders in attendance. BUT, you go to a local track and count how many bikes AND quads you see... The numbers are going way down compared to previous years. There for $ is a large reason that most don't race as much. Every penny spent each race day, NOW must go on rent, food, gas (vehicle), utilities, etc... Since the economy is in such a slump, what can you do?

At my first TT race this year, there was around 50 quads TOTAL. The second one I went to only had around 60-70 at most. IF THAT... Even though the pro purse was good, and each of the class's got $ back (yes even kids) there was still not alot there compared to previous years. This is mostly due to conflicting scheduals with other local tracks having races the same day. most try to have more races to even out the income for the year...

Every XC race I have been to has also lost numbers by at least 15-20%. NO, I do NOT agree...

bwhobs
10-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I was only referring to nationals

bwhobs
10-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I was only referring to nationals