PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 4 stroke for MX racing and why??

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Asking both sides......................

well i seached and i didn't find discussion on it. though i am sure it is out there. but....

next year i want to do MX racing. so what is better, 2-stroke or 4-stroke? The 250r's look cool and fun and i like retro. but alot of people say that 450's are the way to go now. so which to choose.

I have 2 that i am looking at.
2008 LTR-450

1987 TRX 330r

which would be more fun and more competitive? our racing association runs most grown up classes as open. so no displacement restrictions, 2 or 4 stroke.

Thanks for the help.

09-22-2009, 02:33 PM
What are the details of each quad?

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
2-strokes are lighter and will last you quite a while with no problems and you can rev the living **** out of them on the whoops and you dont have to worry about valve train... Ultra low center of gravity. easier to win on for the expert.

4-strokes provide a very tractible power but are heavy and lack durability. higher center of gravity. easier to ride for the beginner,

trx310R#24
09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 4x4 AG
Asking both sides......................

well i seached and i didn't find discussion on it. though i am sure it is out there. but....

next year i want to do MX racing. so what is better, 2-stroke or 4-stroke? The 250r's look cool and fun and i like retro. but alot of people say that 450's are the way to go now. so which to choose.

I have 2 that i am looking at.
2008 LTR-450

1987 TRX 330r

which would be more fun and more competitive? our racing association runs most grown up classes as open. so no displacement restrictions, 2 or 4 stroke.

Thanks for the help.

well you didnt list that much info

what kind of both bikes have:
shocks-
a arms-
swinger-
axle-
(size)tires-
stem-
(am i missing anything?)

but wht bike can you ride better 2or4?
if you can ride a 2-stroke you can blow the 450s away?
are you good with the clutch?
cuz you got to use it more with a 2stroke.
if you blow up the 450 do you have 2k laying around to fix it?

a 250r is the best riding quad i think an i rode all the 450's i just like the feel of the 250r.

Derrick Adams
09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Best just to stick to a newer 4 stroke in most cases. Honestly, it just takes a lot more skill to be successful on a 2 stroke. You will find that the 4 stroke guys will tell you 2 strokes are junk, but most of them aren't old enough to even know anything about the 2 strokes.

Buy the LTR and go racing. Just save your money for an engine rebuild in the near future.

86 Quad R
09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
Best just to stick to a newer 4 stroke in most cases. Honestly, it just takes a lot more skill to be successful on a 2 stroke. You will find that the 4 stroke guys will tell you 2 strokes are junk, but most of them aren't old enough to even know anything about the 2 strokes.

Buy the LTR and go racing. Just save your money for an engine rebuild in the near future.

X'S 2 got that right!! :eek2:

thedeatons
09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
So, to sum up what everyone is saying and add a bit:

2 stroke-
PROS
-When in powerband makes a great amount of horsepower, instant power.
-Lighter weight = less rider fatigue, more control in the air.
-Rebuilds are generally $200 (think: cheap).
-Rebuilds are easy, done in frame, and trackside within two hours.
-Cheaper to tune (main jets and needles are cheap)
-Cost of good used machine are low.
CONS
-Requires greater rider skill, in order to keep engine in powerband.
-Easier to make silly mistakes (fuel mixture, jetting)

4 stroke-
PROS
-Anyone can race one. Power more abundant in low end/midrange.
-Available new in dealerships with warranties.
-New parts availability, more current aftermarket parts.
-No mixing of gas
-No tuning carbs (in general nowadays)
CONS
-Heavier weight (typically 40-60 lbs heavier, and YES, it makes a difference).
-Rebuild costs are astronomical ($800+ each time).
-Cost of new machines are high.
-Engine rebuilds are time consuming, with many more parts to break or wear.
-Fuel injection tuning costs money (ours cost us $100 every time we went to the dyno, which was after every tuning change)

That is about it in a nutshell... There are more, but I hit the highlights.

James

4x4 AG
09-23-2009, 06:52 AM
hey, thanks for all of the over night feedback. I wasn't signed on much. But there were a few questions that i wanted to answer.

Can I ride a 2 stroke?
Well i never have. my experience is in older smaller four wheeler, 125cc, when i was younger. and then recently in sport bikes. never on a 2 stroke. But i do like a challenge. reason i took up sport bikes.

What are the specs on the two bikes in question.

87 TRX330r
CT Racing 330 kit w/polished motor (outside)
TCS Long Travel front shocks
Janssen Racing +3 Long Travel A-Arms
Lonestar adjustable axle
Powdercoated red frame
Ultimate bead lock rims front and rear
Maxxis RZR tires with 100% tread
CT Racing pipe and silencer

08 LTR-450r
Yoshi RS5 full pipe
Power commander
Hot cams
Proflow intake with K&N Velocity filter
Tag bars and clamps
Lone Star Axle with Billit hubs
Pro Armor nerfs
Pro Armor tether
Billit gas cap and Brake block off
DG grab bar
Anti vibe steering stem
Brand new Graphics with Griper seat cover
Brand new Streamline rebuildable 7 position stabalizer
ITP bead locks with good stock tires on back
Kenda Klaws in front

Hope that helps out some.

thedeatons
09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Which sportbikes? Where did you do the motorcycle riding, canyons? strictly street? track days?

That will tell me a lot....

James

C-LEIGH RACING
09-23-2009, 10:36 AM
You want to be a real racer, that is if you can ride, I mean realy ride, get you a 2 stroke & be somebody & win some races.

If not, get a easy riding 4 stroke that anybody can ride & be like the rest of the candy tails that ride them & talk junk about the 2 strokes. Thats all it is, they cant ride & win on them so they got to beat them down with their mouth.

They talk junk about the 2 strokes cause they caint ride them & win, plain & simple.

Dont forget your in the 250R section & asked a 4 stroke question.
Neil

Honda 250r 001
09-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
You want to be a real racer, that is if you can ride, I mean realy ride, get you a 2 stroke & be somebody & win some races.

If not, get a easy riding 4 stroke that anybody can ride & be like the rest of the candy tails that ride them & talk junk about the 2 strokes. Thats all it is, they cant ride & win on them so they got to beat them down with their mouth.

They talk junk about the 2 strokes cause that caint ride them & win, plain & simple.

Neil

preach on botha, remember that when someone changes over from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke god makes a bigger hole in the o zone.

4x4 AG
09-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Which sportbikes? Where did you do the motorcycle riding, canyons? strictly street? track days?

That will tell me a lot....

James

I rode Ninja ZX6R. Rode twisties and rodes. no track. I had to give it up fairly quickly as the family was majorly against it. One of the brother-in-laws is in a wheelchair after a dirtbike accident. and Father-in-law is a firefighter and scraps squid bikers off the pavement too often. So they were against it.

4x4 AG
09-23-2009, 11:09 AM

They talk junk about the 2 strokes cause that caint ride them & win, plain & simple.

Neil

I know. But i like everyones opinion. I also asked in one of the 4 stroke sections and surprisingly, they say the same as yall. So all in all it has been good info in my decision making.

Thanks.

86 Quad R
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Neil

you tell em neil. cant juss anybody ride a two stroke. and thats a fact. i've in recent years had the opertune to ride these new 4 pokes while building a few(yes yes i do twist wrenches on em now en again) honda's yama'a en even a zuki. they are much easier to ride. lmao

.... and which way did you ultimately lean towards? :ermm:

4x4 AG
09-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
you tell em neil. cant juss anybody ride a two stroke. and thats a fact. i've in recent years had the opertune to ride these new 4 pokes while building a few(yes yes i do twist wrenches on em now en again) honda's yama'a en even a zuki. they are much easier to ride. lmao

.... and which way did you ultimately lean towards? :ermm:

I am leaning towards the 250r. I have an offer into him now. I have had more peeple tell me that 2 strokes are more fun, easier to work on, and well it costs less for an entry level bike. plus it looks like a good deal. he just needs to accept my offer.

Then i will be coming back to yall with a ton of Newbie questions.

thedeatons
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Definitely the cheaper choice!

They are all fun though.

James