PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke or 4-stroke

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
well i seached and i didn't find discussion on it. though i am sure it is out there. but....

next year i want to do MX racing. so what is better, 2-stroke or 4-stroke? The 250r's look cool and fun and i like retro. but alot of people say that 450's are the way to go now. so which to choose.

I have 2 that i am looking at.
2008 LTR-450

1987 TRX 330r

which would be more fun and more competitive? our racing association runs most grown up classes as open. so no displacement restrictions, 2 or 4 stroke.

Thanks for the help.

ATVMX33
09-22-2009, 09:07 AM
if you want to get into racing go with a 450 for sure...it will be alot easier to get parts for it and will be more competitive

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 09:29 AM
if you don't mind me prying. why would you go for the 450? other than parts avail.

250r's use to he the stuff. now they seem not to be. why? EPA on 2strokes? powerband?

my reason for prying is that i have liited funds and there is a definate differnce in the price of these two. both are set up for MX.

thanks.

Ryan
09-22-2009, 09:50 AM
As far as fun goes, i'd definitly say the 250r. For racing, one is just as good as the other. Its really personal preference. I think for amature racing, the 4-stroke powerband can be a bit more forgiving (less clutching, more torque ect) . It is certainly alot cheepier to rebuild a 250r than it is, any 450 4-stroke. If your on a budget, i'd say, go for the 250r..... That is, if it is in MINT condition!

Theres nothing like the feel and sound of a good ol 2-stroke!

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 09:57 AM
i agree. i love the two stroke sound.

the 4-stroke is selling for 4300.

the 2-stroke is selling for 2750.

both are pretty clean and modded to about the same extent.

who has other thoughts???

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
2-stroke pic

Pappy
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
If you will be racing for fun, the 2 stroke cant be matched.

The tracks will be set up for 4 strokes in most cases

Parts are equally available and you can build either fairly cheap until you get to the engines, there the 2 smoke rules.

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
4-stroke pic

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
i will probably just run practices and fun for the first year. to get use to it and better.

the next year i will probably try to competitively race if i think i can.

I really just need a new hobby.

F-16Guy
09-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Is it a 330R power valve engine? Power valves give you a lot more bottom end, so if it is, it might not be that hard to ride vs. a 450R. I love 2-strokes, but I'm a little older than most of the people on here, so that's what was fast back in the day. Four strokes were family machines. I'd say go with the 330R and throw some roost on those 4-stroke guys. :macho :D

ds450racer
09-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I would normally say 4 stroke. But that 2 stroke looks really clean for its price. And at that spec you could race that competitavly at an amature level.

F-16Guy
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh yeah, and when it's rebuild time, break out a $100 bill and have enough left over for lunch!! Do that with a 4-stroke! :devil:

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
this is the specs of what comes on the 330r.

I will be honest. this is going to be a new hobby for me. i had 4-wheelers in the past. but i just rode the piss out of them. i didn't work on them.

CT Racing 330 kit w/polished motor (outside)
TCS Long Travel front shocks
Janssen Racing +3 Long Travel A-Arms
Lonestar adjustable axle
Powdercoated red frame
Ultimate bead lock rims front and rear
Maxxis RZR tires with 100% tread
CT Racing pipe and silencer

Plus, thank you for all of your comments thus far.

Ruby Soho
09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
2 stroke!

907Rider
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Is that a trick question? 2stroke all the way!!! nothings funner then a worked 2stroke. :macho

But unfortunately like others have said above if your serious about racing a 450 is all you can really compete with anymore.

just my .02

Originally posted by F-16Guy
Oh yeah, and when it's rebuild time, break out a $100 bill and have enough left over for lunch!! Do that with a 4-stroke! :devil:

So true! One of the many many reasons why I'll never own one again!

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
ok. how about this. everyone tells me that a good suspension will win you a race over a bigger engine.

So if the 330r is more fun. would a really good suspension help me be more competitive? or an i still going to lose to 450 4 strokes.

I enjoy everyones input. Thank you.

Sjorge450R
09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
suspension will make you faster because you will be riding a lot smoother. I have never ever ridden a 250r, but i want one. I love em. The sound, the smell. If i ever come across one like the one you have i would scoop it up in a minute.

For fun go with the 250r. You can still be competitive and like everyone said, everything about them is cheaper...

907Rider
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 4x4 AG
So if the 330r is more fun. would a really good suspension help me be more competitive? or an i still going to lose to 450 4 strokes.

Yes! It really depends on your skill level, and how long you have been on a 2stroke. 250r's are still arguably the best handling quad today, and a 330 is going to have a ton of power ( if its set up right ).. a lot more then a piped and jetted 450. Get a nice long travel front end, good shocks ( it looks like it has good ones allready ), and a wider axle.

And have fun :devil:

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
well i think that i am leaning more towards the 2 stroke. for one, everyone says they are fun. brother-in-law said they are easier to work on. and well it is cheaper.

but i have never raced quads. rode, but never raced. and i have never been on a two stroke. but i am looking for a challenge and a fun, adrinaline rush, hobby.

I just like to hear everyone elses thoughts. it helps me to make decisions.

Flyin_250r
09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Have you ridden both a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke? So much of it will depend on how you yourself ride. I have both as you can see in my signature. I personally love the feel, sound and definately cost when it comes to the 2 stroke. But as far as myself as a rider, im far faster on the 4 stroke. With that being said, thats why i bought the perfect match for me... a 250r geo hybrid!

Test both out and see what your more comfortable on. You heard right that the 250r is alot easier to work on and definately cheaper. So if you are on a tight budget, i would go with the 250r. But again, alot of it is personal preference, in my opinion

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 12:36 PM
well cheaper may be better for me right now. the budgets are tight right now. and this is my first run out of the gate. so i would hate to blow all of the funds i have on just getting the bike and then i can't do anything to it.

but to answer your question, i have not ridden both. I had a TRX 125 that i killed as a kid. riden a couple other similar 4 wheelers. And then i rode sport bikes. no dirtbikes or two strokes.

csr250r
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I had a 265r with not many stock parts, I sold it and got my yfz and im glad I did. But i do miss my 250r when im just riding around. But as far as racing competativly I would go with the four stroke.

But in your case the 330 already has long travel and nice shocks, also is cheaper. If you can ride them both and make your desision.

4x4 AG
09-22-2009, 01:44 PM
not really a chance of that. they are two different directions. and i doubt they would bring them to the track for me to try. i just got to pick one and roll with it.

thanks for the info though.

Flyin_250r
09-22-2009, 01:51 PM
If i was in your situation.. id go with that 250r. The price alone would make the decision for me if i was on a real tight budget. Plus... you can never go wrong with the legendary R!

LTandRaptorider
09-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Flyin_250r
Have you ridden both a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke? So much of it will depend on how you yourself ride. I have both as you can see in my signature. I personally love the feel, sound and definately cost when it comes to the 2 stroke. But as far as myself as a rider, im far faster on the 4 stroke. With that being said, thats why i bought the perfect match for me... a 250r geo hybrid!

Test both out and see what your more comfortable on. You heard right that the 250r is alot easier to work on and definately cheaper. So if you are on a tight budget, i would go with the 250r. But again, alot of it is personal preference, in my opinion

You pretty much said what I was thinking. I also have both 2 and 4-stroke. Hate to admit after having my LT-R450 for 3 years, I think it became my favorite. My LT250r is def a lot of fun. I have LOTS of $$ into it, so it is fast. Yes, it will win races against 450 4-strokes. But you will be much more tired doing it on a 2-stroke. But my first thought when I saw the pics you posted was... Get them BOTH! :D I know that's not an option for you... That 250R does look sweet. But as an owner of both type quads, if you are serious about racing, get the 450. If you will mostly play, grab that 250R today. :cool:

usp4u
09-22-2009, 02:25 PM
something that you need to think about is what if it's not for you ? alotta people start mx racing only to find that it's not for them or they get burned out on it quickly.
If I were you and was just starting out I would get the R. You will competitive enough on it, and if you decide to go in another direction you will be able to sell the R for what you've paid for it.
People will ALWAYS be buying R's. That bike probably wont depreciate any more than it has.
During the time you are racing you be able to get a ride on an LTR. If you decide thats what you want, you will be able to find next year.

Right now, if you're just starting out, go for the low "buy-in" of the R. If you dont stick with racing you have a fun play bike that will be worth what you paid. If you decide you want an LTR they'll always be around.

Nac's22
09-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
something that you need to think about is what if it's not for you ? alotta people start mx racing only to find that it's not for them or they get burned out on it quickly.
If I were you and was just starting out I would get the R. You will competitive enough on it, and if you decide to go in another direction you will be able to sell the R for what you've paid for it.
People will ALWAYS be buying R's. That bike probably wont depreciate any more than it has.
During the time you are racing you be able to get a ride on an LTR. If you decide thats what you want, you will be able to find next year.

Right now, if you're just starting out, go for the low "buy-in" of the R. If you dont stick with racing you have a fun play bike that will be worth what you paid. If you decide you want an LTR they'll always be around.

Yeah what he said. I personally own a worked 250R that I started racing on. I did ok my first year and really good my second year being in a dead stale mate with my friend on a YFZ for being the 2 fastest kids in the class. I started to take racing more seriously and moved to the B class and bought a 450R. Any day of the week I would choose to ride the 250R because its more fun but when it comes down to racing the 450 gets the nod. With that being said it sure cost a lot less to race the 250 and I sure do miss it so lucky for me there is a series by me that I feel a stock bored 250R can dominate so I get to race both next year. A lot of people told me I was stupid for buying a 250R over the 450R first but I wouldn't change a thing. I say go with the 250R and go have a blast!

bansheeboy321
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
best bang for your buck is the 2 stroke. If you have a couple extra grand in your wallet, then go with a 4 stroke, any 4 stoke can match a 2 stroke and vis versa so it comes down to how much u want to spend and what type of power you prefer.

4x4 AG
09-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
Yeah what he said. I personally own a worked 250R that I started racing on. I did ok my first year and really good my second year being in a dead stale mate with my friend on a YFZ for being the 2 fastest kids in the class. I started to take racing more seriously and moved to the B class and bought a 450R. Any day of the week I would choose to ride the 250R because its more fun but when it comes down to racing the 450 gets the nod. With that being said it sure cost a lot less to race the 250 and I sure do miss it so lucky for me there is a series by me that I feel a stock bored 250R can dominate so I get to race both next year. A lot of people told me I was stupid for buying a 250R over the 450R first but I wouldn't change a thing. I say go with the 250R and go have a blast!

Well I think that you both might be on to something. One time some one told me that this is not a poor mans sport, and you have to pay to play. but it sounds like the 250r is cheaper to purchase. can be competitive. and cheaper to repair when needed. That might be the best for me right now.

My thoughts are. Budgets are tight. I am new to the sport. and My first child is to be born in Feb. So all of that points to tight finances when trying to start up racing. So maybe i get the 250r and play around some. and if i get more serious, and win the lottery, i will pick up a 4 stroke.

Man, I appreciate all of yalls input. it really helped out.

ATVMX33
09-23-2009, 07:04 AM
that sounds like a good plan, plus i cant see the 330r losing too much of its value if you decide to switch in a year or two...as long as you maintain it properly

TN_cowboy
09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
sent you a pm 4x4AG

reconmaster
09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
personally go with the 330r its truly race ready and cheaper price. also you have spare cash flow kickin around for spare parts, traveling, race/practice fees and well your case in dirty diapers