PDA

View Full Version : I'm stumped, help!

929rog
09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Stumped on this one guys. Here is what I have. 87 lt.. new cylinder and piston, 30 cut head, 20mm carb, LRD pipe, slightly geared for more speed, K&N filter, clutches 2 rollers out 180 rear weights. new belt. It goes the same as stock, maybe slower mid range. Here is what happened this weekend. My daughter rides it and it runs fine. She rides it wide open down the dirt road and it sounds like it blows up. I walk down and it starts right up. It does it three times so I figure I killed it. I popped the head off and its fat, really fat. It has a 120 main in it and the cylinder and piston are clean and wet. I pull the gas line off and I get a trickle of gas... Put it back together. I ride it and watch the fuel line and after you hold it wide open you start to get alot of air in the line and it quits again. Looks like it is running out of gas to me... I mean It is using alot more fuel now with that main (that I need to go down some). What do you think? Time for a bigger pet cock or run a drill through it? Is this why the thing is so slow? Runs same mph as stock and qicker only for the first 40 feet. Thanks guys, Roger

LT80
09-22-2009, 07:38 AM
You need to try more roller weight. Try it with 5 then 6 rollers.
Sounds like a petcock problem to me.

929rog
09-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Think I can drill the petcock?

LT80
09-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Maybe tear it apart. I think there is a screen inside.
Sometimes I blow back thru the fuel line to open it up.

929rog
09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Changed the petcock off another one I have (I have 3 now) and the gas cap as this one was so rusted, Fixed. Now it runs really fat. I had a 125 main in it, thought it was a 120. It now pulls hard, then fights pretty hard for about 150 feet, then starts to rev and pulls and revs real hard. I think at this point its just way too fat and I'll try more tomorow. I'm betting I'll be back near 115 and I'll lose the dead spot. Too late nieghbors will be pissed. I'm getting close.

929rog
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Pretty funny how things work. After changing jets a ton of times I'm back to the suggested 110 main. It pulls way harder than stock now and runs really well. Question. I have three of these LTs now and on the front clutch some have had a washer between the clutch sheaves and one did not. It shows the washer in the parts diagrams... but the one without the washer works well. SHould I put a washer in??

LT80
10-14-2009, 03:53 PM
No.
The 88 LT's had the long spacer. You have one of these.
The newer went to the short spacer and washer. You have 2 of these...:)