PDA

View Full Version : getting it to start

cutter
09-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi what could the prob be, my bike had been running fine up to date so i went to a race meet on the weekend. First race all is good the next race wont start turn it over and over but no go.Push started it ,easy as, kicks into action with little effort runs no prob stopped it and you guessed it wont start. Did this for the day each race push start way we go.SO far i have stripped it all down looking for a loose wire ,nothing, put a new kill switch on nothing wrong there.still no start what next any ideas?

Scro
09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Your valves need adjusting.

09-22-2009, 10:21 AM
yep...adjust the valves
is it a kick start or electric...if it is electric, you also need to lower your decompression(i think...can't remember as it has been well over a year)

this is one of the resaons that i got rid of the 450r...

jpfmotors
09-22-2009, 06:21 PM
x3 on the valve adjust

speedracer450r
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
valves x4

Scro
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
The jury says...it's your valves:p

cutter
10-06-2009, 04:55 AM
its not the valves guys , stripped it down thought it could have been cracked piston. engine is perfect all valves are spot on looks electical, any ideas (stator)? might have a look there.

Sjorge450R
10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by cutter
its not the valves guys , stripped it down thought it could have been cracked piston. engine is perfect all valves are spot on looks electical, any ideas (stator)? might have a look there.

i am pretty sure that a stator problem wouldn't allow it to start either way also, it would cause problems when running too because that's what creates the power you need to keep the motor running.

Did you just physically look at the valves? or did you check the tolerances properly? Engine at TDC (Cam lobes facing towards the back of the quad). This doesn't sound electrical to me at all. I too wanna say valves, but the decompressor setting would make it hard for the starter to do its job(too much compression in the motor)

wckedclownz69
10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
lol you cant just phsyically look at them.. my dad did that and i went and got the feeler guages and they were too tight... you usually can tell if they are too loose...

cutter
10-07-2009, 05:45 AM
checked valae settings visually and manually they were spot on.so i can say totally not valves. going to try a new main coil and spark plug lead.who knows may have a break in the lead will run with a weak spark when oush started.just running out of patience can-am or ktm are starting to look good.

Sjorge450R
10-07-2009, 06:43 AM
hahaha. You think you have starting issues now, just wait if you get a Can-Am. This is definetly something stupid and once you figure it out, we are all going to kick ourselves in the ***.

tflatt
10-08-2009, 03:13 AM
their is a small wire that plugs into the coil if its not geting good conection it will cause this problem

cutter
10-08-2009, 03:37 AM
got over my grumpy fit, had a deep breath and got back to reality. thanks for all your help let you all know what it was when i find it.sooner rather than later