PDA

View Full Version : Best tech school for motorcycle repair?

HondaRaceReady
09-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Anyone have an opinion on what is the best tech school to learn the trade of motorcycle repair? I was looking for one in the NJ area, but since it looks like there aren't any I may have to go away for a while. I just want to know which schools in America are worth checking out.

quadracer707
09-23-2009, 05:09 PM
MMI in Orlando, Fla

bustedknuckle
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Wyoteck ,it has schools in several states.

Robin Hood
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Anyone have an opinion on what is the best tech school to learn the trade of motorcycle repair? I was looking for one in the NJ area, but since it looks like there aren't any I may have to go away for a while. I just want to know which schools in America are worth checking out.

My buddies are going to UTI for that.

09-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Is that what you really want to make a career out of? The avg motorcycle mechanic makes 14-17 a hour. most starting at no more then 12. I my self was really looking into something. but i cant support a family on it

Sorry not trying to bash it. i been going trough the same thing. Nothing that great in nj either except the ocean county votec schools

400EX Stud
09-24-2009, 09:31 PM
MMI Phoenix. I heard that Orlando was a bunch of douche bags. No offense to any one that went there. I had a guy in my BMW class that transfered from Orlando To PHX. He said that PHX was more laid back and he learned more there. I don't know for sure just because i only went to PHX. The instructors there were really good and became good friends that you could rely on if you needed help. The only thing bad about it is that it is PHX. I love
PHX, but it's no place that I would want to live. (No offense to those of you that live there.) I just like color in my landscape. LOL

SRH
09-24-2009, 11:00 PM
dont waste time and money to make $10 a hr when ur out ....no shop is gonan say well u got a mmi degree here do this...ull start doing setups and that kinda stuff til your proven, get a job doing setups and if u like it stick with it, and work your way in....otherwise go to college for something else...

TrapZ400
09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
SRH, I agree. Shops don't really care if you went to school for it. Its a small plus but all shops really care about is how fast you can get the job done and how well you can do it. Some kid can go straight out of high school and do extremely well because they have the skill to work fast and make no mistakes. Someone can come straight out of MMI and not have the same skill as the kid that came out of high school. The dealer or shop will hire the kid that just got out of high school over the kid from MMI. Don't get me wrong MMI is a great school but don't expect to get a job just because you went to MMI. Like what SRH said you have to prove to them that you can get the job done.

400EX Stud
09-25-2009, 06:24 AM
This is true. But if you are good at what you are doing. And can prove it. You may be able to get on with a race team of some sort. There were about 4 or 5 kids in my graduating class that were going to race teams. But even that isn't as great a money as what you would think starting out

BLU82
09-25-2009, 06:51 AM
I don't think that the people who go to mmi or wyotech are just looking to work in their small local shops.....

09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
The only way to make good money now with a motorcycle degree is doing it all on your own. and opening your own shop. Witch these days are not good. I got offered a job with harly Davidson in wildwood last year being a mechanic for 10.50 a hour to start. To far of a ride for that little pay

My buddy use to be a mechanic at stumpys in neptune. There for over 4 years making 12$ a hour

859davidt
09-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Money isn't everything. If you can come in and go home enjoying what you are doing every day, you will live a much happier life. I made 6 figures as a construction manager and was miserable every day. Complaining to the wife every night, too tired to spend time with my kids. Took a layoff, working on quads in my garage, not making much money and couldn't be happier. People may think I am nuts, some may agree. Money is not the key to happiness. Good Luck in your decision and/or findings of a motorcylce school.

Doober
09-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Theres a place in Cleveland that I went through called PSI (Powersport Institute) They have a website it is...www.psi-now.com, It was pretty helpful youll learn some tips and tricks from the instructors. It was still a young program when I went through but I have heard it has got a lot better. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm.

SRH
09-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 859davidt
Money isn't everything. If you can come in and go home enjoying what you are doing every day, you will live a much happier life. I made 6 figures as a construction manager and was miserable every day. Complaining to the wife every night, too tired to spend time with my kids. Took a layoff, working on quads in my garage, not making much money and couldn't be happier. People may think I am nuts, some may agree. Money is not the key to happiness. Good Luck in your decision and/or findings of a motorcylce school.

your 100% correct money is not the key to happiness...but it is a vital component to it in our society..... 6 figures vs 25k a year is much different, living at home with my parents yrs ago 25k was hard to get by on with any sort of lifestyle, to live a nice , relaxed recession proof lifestyle money is key