PDA

View Full Version : Hinson Clutch basket

SmthHonRider99
09-21-2009, 06:29 PM
My stock basket is bad grooved. i picked up a new hinson today and im not exactly sure if i want to try and put it in myself. If someone would be nice enough to post up some instructions with maybe even a picture or something i would more than appreciate it. And yes i searched but i couldnt find anything where it actually explained how to change one.

its an 07 trx450r

deathman53
09-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm assuming you know how to take the basket off first, remove basket, there maybe a gear inside the clutch basket that needs to be pressed/hit out, flip basket around and you will see a metal plate with rivits, get a grinder and ground out the rivits flat, remove the metal plate. Under the metal plate will be dampeners and a gear, remove the gear and dampeners, you may need new dampeners. If the basket has a gear that goes inside it(splined center), put the basket in the oven @ 300 degrees and gear into the freezer for atleast 2 hours. Remove both and the gear should fall in.

Once the basket cools, put the dampeners in, then kicker gear, clean the bolt holes and new bolts. Put the new metal plate on, put red locktite on the bolts and tighten them, not tight they are only a 4mm allen head. Turn the basket around and hit the thread of the screw showing with a hammer and punch to "distort" it, so it can't back out.

SmthHonRider99
09-21-2009, 06:55 PM
thanks a ton man. i have actually never taken the basket out, or anything with the clutch, but it seems pretty self explanitory. I have heard that the rivets can be drilled out, is that true?

deathman53
09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
they can also be drilled out, I didn't have any luck doing it. You know how to remove the basket? Its not hard to remove, remove clutch cover, remove clutch spring bolts, remove pressure plate, remove clutch lifter and rod, remove clutch pack. You will see a nut in the center of the inner clutch hub, bend the tab holding nut in out, use a 27mm socket and clutch holding tool or impact wrench, remove the inner hub, then remove basket. There will be a washer on the back of the inner clutch hub. You probably have spline gear insert into the clutch basket, I know my crf had one.

SmthHonRider99
09-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Not really but i think i might can figure it out. another quick question, i got some cv4's too, when i put them on do i have to drain all the antifreeze or can i just catch what falls out and top it off?
sorry about all the questions man thanks for the help

deathman53
09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
you would need to drain the coolant and oil, there is a 10mm head on the water pump cover, that is what you drain it from.

SmthHonRider99
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
is it not ok to just drain it from the stock hose? then put the new one on and fill it back up?

deathman53
09-22-2009, 11:32 AM
you can, if you want to make a mess in your shop/garage, doing this doesn't drain the system completely, the coolant is still in the engine

SmthHonRider99
09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
the water pump cover wont come loose, isnt there somthing in there holding the side case on? how does it come off?

deathman53
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
remove all the bolts around it and one of the bolts on the water pump goes into the case also, its really long. There also is a steel collar on 2 of the bolt holes, they could be sorta rusted in. you can see it here, its the bolt on the top of the water pump cover, to the right.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/HOM/2/14HP14/ILLUST/HP14E/0601A.Gif

its bolt #15 on this fiche, your pump cover is #14

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/HOM/2/14HP14/ILLUST/HP14E/0900B.Gif

SmthHonRider99
09-22-2009, 07:18 PM
the cover wont budge. all bolts are out the cover will not come off.

deathman53
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
get a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer(sand filled) and hit the cover around it. It should loosen up then. There usually is some edges of the cover that overhang the engine case, use those prying against the frame or pipe to pop the cover loose. Don't stick a screwdriver between the cover and the case. You better have a new clutch cover gasket also, a good chance you will need it. Its the steel collars that are seizing to the aluminum cases.