PDA

View Full Version : 9/27 races near michigan

Ryko racing
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
where are there any races for this sunday that get a decent 90 cc turn out near Michigan or Fort Wayne or oHio

guy310
09-22-2009, 06:54 AM
How could you not want to go to Redbud? Any time on the big track is time spent getting ready for next years National.

kimv
09-22-2009, 07:34 AM
the only one I know of in MI is Redbud, that is where we will be, but on a 70. If you go to www.greatlakesmx.com you can check out how many 90s have been running.

Kim

Ryko racing
09-22-2009, 07:51 AM
RED BUD IS THE BEST, IT IS JUST THAT ALL THE MICHIGAN TRACKS MAKE THE KIDS RUN ON KIDS TRACKS(UNDER 90 CC). i WAS JUST HOPING WE COULD GET ENOUGH RIDERS TOGETHER TO PRACTICE IN THE AFTERNOON AFTER THE RACES BUT WE WOULD NEED A DOZEN TO GET US ON THE BIG TRACK FOR AFTERNOON PRACTICE.

IT IS A SHAME THAT A STATE LIKE MICHIGAN CANNOT GET IT TOGETHER AND MAKE A GOOD SERIES FOR QUADS ( I KNOW THAT AMY IS OPEN TO TRYING FOR US ALL BUT WE NEED TO TRY A DIFFERENT FORMAT. IF WE HAVE TOO MANY CLASSES, IT IS NOT GOOD EITHER.) IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A STRUCTURE WHERE KIDS COULD HAVE 2 CLASSES TO RUN IF THEY CHOOSE,WHICH BASICALLY SAYS TO USE THE NATIONAL RULES.( PRODUCTION IS PRODUCTION THAT INCLUDES HONDA 125'S ALL CVT, AND COBRAS
AS THEY ARE ALL VERY CLOSE IF THEY ARE SET UP CORRECTLY)

CRA IN OHIO GETS PRETTY GOOD TURNOUTS AS WELL AND THEY RUN MINI QUAD JR, MINI QUAD SR AND OVER AND 90 MOD.
IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH 90 MODS THEY RUN 90 MOD IN JR WOODSMAN CLASS ( SCHOOLBOY JR IN MICHIGAN).

JUST AN IDEA FOR NEXT YEAR. ( AND MAYBE RUN A 1ST YR RACER STOCK CLASS FOR THE BEGINNERS)

I AM AFRAID THAT IF WE DONT FIX THIS NOW MINI QUADS IN MICHGAN WILL BE DONE AND THAT IS BAD FOR THE SPORT.

kimv
09-22-2009, 08:34 AM
You hit the nail on the head! We just started racing half way through the season and the turn out has not been good at all, except in the 90 production class. It seems like in MI its all about the dirt bikes. Im hoping that the turn out will be better next yr and some of it was the splitting of d14 and the 1st yr for glmx. But yeah I agree something needs to be done or there wont be mini racing soon. Hopefully somebody can get this all figured out and we can get more kids into the sport.

Kim

Ryko racing
09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
WE WENT THROUGH THIS IN 2005 WHEN THE DISTRICT TRACKS KICKED US ALL OUT.

WE HAD A LOCAL ENTHUSIAST ACTUALLY PUT ON THE SERIES AND BROUGHT THE RIDERS TO SELECT TRACKS IN 2004 AND WE WOULD GET GOOD TURNOUTS BUT THE D14 COUNCIL DECIDED THAT THEY DID NOT WANT QUADS.
NOW THAT THE ECONOMY HAS GOTTEN SOFT SOME OF THE TRACKS WANT US BACK.( I KNOW RED BUD, DUTCH, AND GLMX WILL WANT US BUT WE NEED NUMBERS TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE AS THESE TRACKS ARE A BUSINESS)
AFTER VISITING A FEW TRACKS THAT ARE NOT REALLY BUSINESS' I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE.

WE RUN MAINLY NATIONALS AND IT IS A SHAME THAT WE HAVE AT LEAST 5 TRACKS HERE IN MICHIGAN THAT ARE WAY BETTER FACILITIES THAT WE GET AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL.
I FOR ONE WOULD BE WILLING TO HELP BUILD THIS BACK UP IF WE CAN GET SOME PARENTAL SUPPORT I KNOW WE CAN HAVE A SERIES NEXT YEAR.

IF WE COULD GET THIS SET UP CORRECTLY WE COULD HAVE A SERIES THAT WOULD DRAW RIDERS AND THAT WOULD MAKE IT MORE COMPETITVE FOR EVERY ONE INVOLVED.

quadscrib
09-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Well guys heres the deal. Michigan HAD an excellent series up to the end of the 08 season....then GLMX appeared.
Glmx was formed behind the backs of all the (now non GLMX) tracks and caught everyone (all tracks but GLMX) by huge surprise.
Andrew Smith the former DIstrict 14 chairman worked (very successfully) for years to build the prior series in which we logged over 90 quads for every event!!!!
When GLMX got $$$$ in their eyes it screwed the WHOLE state as it split our already limited numbers.
As hard as Amy *****ie... Ritchy wroked to get the minis into Dist.14 MX it was quite a shocker to learn in DECEMBER 08 that all the now GLMX tracks were leaving.
The ONLY District 14 member who knew of the plan was low and behold ALex Manga who was at the time the District 14 pres/chairman of course untill it was dropped on everyone weeks before the new year (2009).
It was a crappy greedy move that screwed MX (especially quads)
in Michigan and though I hear that the GLMX format is decent but numbers SUCK!!!!
If you asked anyone at the end of the 08 season how quad racing was in Michigan...it was ALIVE AND WELL....AND GROWING!!! Not now......
Please feel free Ryker to as Amy bout all that....Im sure youll get a friendly respnse from her;)

Ryko racing
09-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I did not mean to start an argument over this post.

The whole Glmx vs D14 battle is not between the racers.

We just need to have a quality series to race in that has a fair class structure for all riders and brands, and top notch tracks.
As i mentioned maybe a different look would benefit everyone as what we have now definitely does not work.

What about a Best in state or region championship race? ( sort of like the baja brawl or mini mow down)

I know of a numbr of great riders that would be interested in that type of event in the fall to keep racing. ( I THINK WE WOULD GET NUMBERS AT AN EVENT LIKE THIS )

I am open for suggestions and hope we can make something happen for 2010.

As you see i also have my name posted so everyone can see who they are talking with. I may not be correct in everything i say but my son deserves a chance to race and my family sacrifices a lot to keep Ryan racing. (as do many other families that we race with)

Lets keep the dialogue open and with our efforts we can correct this before it goes away.

As far as Amy Ritchie goes, they have always been extremely helpful and friendly to our kids both on the NATIONALS AND LOCAL LEVEL.

Why dont we try to get a good turnout for sundays am race.(RED BUD)
I know that 7 or 8 riders from indiana are coming so we should have some great competition.

quadscrib
09-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I definatly am not mad at you...not at all! Just laying it out from a different prespective. Most of the remaining D14 tracks are hurting now and GLMX tracks too....was not a good move.

kimv
09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
We did not race last year so we have no idea what it has been like in years past. Its very obvious though that the turnout has not been good. I did go back and look at the 08 pts standings and there were alot more minis! I just cant believe that with the whole d14, glmx thing that most of them quit! Our son just wants to race, we dont care where or what series! I just wish there was a way to find out why all of those minis no longer race, is it the tracks, the d14/glmx thing, bad economy, etc... We are willing to try and help get the minis back to racing for the 2010 season. If anyone has any ideas please post them!
We will definetely be at Red Bud, along with the Woodbury's, Millers, and I think Lindsey Hutchinson's dad said they would also be there. There were also a few 90's at Baja last Sunday that have only been racing the d14 series, so maybe they will be there as well. Maybe we can get together and discuss a few things at RedBud?
Ryko I also think it would be a great idea to have something like the baja brawl that would either be quads only or include quads! I know we would be very interested in something like that!

Kim

guy310
09-23-2009, 01:03 PM
The GLMX format is a lot better IMO than a typical district series setup. I can't afford to race every weekend and am not inlined to do so either. With GLMX Championship series you have to score at 16 of 28 motos and they award championship points per moto instead of the overall. To me, that was a move that was responsive to peoples needs in times that are not the greatest. I appreciated their effort to involve more people in a championship series than most districts. In Dist. 15 the winner is the family that races the most. Our mini quad winner last year raced over 75 races in one season. In one district. Thats great that they were able to do that, but I liked the format of the GLMX much better. I don't care to get into the politics but as has been said already, Amy and their crew has always been good to us and treated us fairly, at locals and Nationals.

Ryko racing
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Very well said.

i think that a lot of the families may have switched to trail riding instead of racing. I know a handful of parents that trail ride rather than spend 150 bucks and race the same 2 people each week.

Also a large amount of the racers from 2006 2007 switched and instead of running 16 local races they run 8 nationals.( they were forced to switch when the mini quads were cancelled by the d14
due to a govt regulation.

Enough of the past, lets move forward.

I hope to see a great bunch of racers at red bud. Lets have fun and race hard.

quadscrib
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I do agree with the format issues.... Ive never run a GLMX race but EVERYONE Ive spoken to that has loves their format. I think it would have been good to impliment that to what was the exsisting series...all hindsight now. Hopefully we band together better for 2010

quadscrib
09-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Ryko racing
Very well said.

i think that a lot of the families may have switched to trail riding instead of racing. I know a handful of parents that trail ride rather than spend 150 bucks and race the same 2 people each week.

Also a large amount of the racers from 2006 2007 switched and instead of running 16 local races they run 8 nationals.( they were forced to switch when the mini quads were cancelled by the d14
due to a govt regulation.

Enough of the past, lets move forward.

I hope to see a great bunch of racers at red bud. Lets have fun and race hard.

Funny Ive been considering the trail rideing thing myself but unfortunatly childeren under 12 are not allowed to operate atvs on MIchigan trails....unless on a dirtbike or snowmobile:confused:

national #9
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
You guys should call Tom at KIds On Quads, he got it all going, in Mi. before, If there were enough interest, I think he would be willing to step up again, now that he has 2 little ones coming up, so he has a vested interest, in getting it going again.

quadscrib
09-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Yah Tom Trompen is a good guy with great intentions but before it was a matter of legality in Michigan now its just a matter of being split thin......

trompen542
09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey this is Tom Trompen, I am already in contact with a couple of promoters, for 2010, I think we need to get it started again. The state of mini racing, (except nationals) in michigan is poor. I couldn't believe how bad it was until I went to some of the races this summer, and they had only a couple minis there. I will try to get some of the most popular national classes in, and combine some of the others, so it will be fair, for all. if you have questions, or input on classes, give me a call at the shop, and I will try to get it going again.
Tom @ KIDS ON QUADS
616-363-1215

trompen542
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey, this is Tom from kids on quads, I have just finalized negotiations with a very large promoter in Michigan, to run a 25-30 race series, through out central and southern michigan. there will be 6 youth classes, womens, and 2 adult classes. I will know the exact schedule in january. for more info call me at 616-363-1215.
thanks Tom