PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have fighter jets fly over their house?

yellowzo3
09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS. I guess since theres the UN meeting in NY this week they have jets patrolling the skies and stuff. Well around here we never have any sort of jets fly over (the occasional helicopter but thats it). So my neighbor and I are outside doing yard work and we hear this roaring echo for a couple minutes but can't spot it. Then all of a sudden we see a jet cruise over the area and the sound was unexplainable! We just stood there with the :eek2: face. Anyone have jets fly over their area often? I was mesmerized and couldn't stop watching and listening. It was one of the coolest things to see.

**Edit- I'm in central jersey btw incase anyone else saw one also.

It looked like this but the two back vertical stabilizers seemed more straight up (vertical). The ones in the picture are slanted outwards a lot. It definitely had 2 of them though. Anyone have any idea what we saw?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/F-15_and_F-22.JPG/800px-F-15_and_F-22.JPG

Old Head
09-21-2009, 03:23 PM
back when the 1st irac war was going on there was a-10 warthogs flying over all the time.

09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I am in central also. I did not see the jets though. We have lakehurst behind us so all we get are alot of c17s. And they fly very low. shakes the house. Kind of pisses us off now. And every wednesday night they circle my house from 9pm on. I wish we had jets fly over low though, Thats bad arse

09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
normal, however the military base is close enough to throw a rock over the fence from my front yard (exageration). But its pretty close. Usually don't see fighter jets unless they are from MacDill AFB. I've seen some crazy fighter jets fly right over the house and its shaking. Man some look just alien like. One night i'm sitting outside and hear this roar then boom! Crazy mofo's broke the sound barrier right over the neighborhood. They got in trouble for it but it was crazy to hear that happen out of no where. Mostly the helicopters and huge drop planes fly over. Last week I thought we were being bombed because they usually cruise over real low but this time they were going all out. A bunch of the helicopters were roaring past the house. I'm watching TV and its loud enough inside as to were I cant hear the TV anymore and things are shaking I run outside and all of these military helicopters were just rippin past the house so low too I could have litterally hit them with a baseball or something. I guess it was just some crazy practice?

ATVMX33
09-21-2009, 03:46 PM
F-18s maybe....

i just see alot of helis and sometimes a A-10 here

ridered11
09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I live really close to Andrews Air Force Base as well as the Naval Academy. Jets fly by pretty frequently. The ones you pictured are the new F22 raptors which are not yet in wide use due to some problems. You probably saw a f18 hornet.

http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/screencams/f18.jpg

yellowzo3
09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Man I wish it would have broke the sound barrier!! Once it was out of site I think it accelerated and the sound was nuts. We have a lot of tall trees around here so it was hard to watch it for more than a few seconds.

Ridetrpdotcom, it was only a one jet cruising around... Lakehurst is further south than I am so maybe he was up around closer to the NYC area. He only came around for a few minutes and then left though. He made a few loops and then took off.

*Edit- ATVMX33 and ridered11 I think you guys are right. It was hard to get a good look at it for a decent amount of time but thats probably what I saw. It was awesome!

Jigsaw
09-21-2009, 04:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HEgdRkuF-U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HEgdRkuF-U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guy400
09-21-2009, 04:03 PM
They fly over all the time. National Guard station is about 2 miles from my house, Fort Bragg and Pope AFB is 2 hours east, and Cherry Point, New River and Camp Lejune are about 4 hours east.

LTandRaptorider
09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
If the twin tails were straight up, it was the F-15 Eagle. ;)

Zakradu398
09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Down in Florida one year, a fighter jet flew over and made a sonic boom. Holy hell that was loud.

axellmusic19
09-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Ive had twin f16's fly over before low and damn that made me shake. Gotta love jets!

Bill Martin
09-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Cool ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rollie
09-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Gillette stadium is about 10 miles from me so when they do the fly overs for the football games they fly right over my house haha

Guy400
09-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Down in Florida one year, a fighter jet flew over and made a sonic boom. Holy hell that was loud. Had a similar experience in Florida. My grandmother has her winter home about 2 miles south of Patrick Air Force base. There were F-16's flying low back and forth across the beach all day one day. Then we were just hanging out and heard a boom and the ground shook. Look up and what appeared to be about a mile out of the water was one of them breaking the sound barrier.

Rollie, I know what you mean. I live about 15 miles away from Lowe's Motor Speedway (about to be Charlotte MS next year again). We always get the planes circling in a holding pattern before flying over the track for the races.

cased
09-22-2009, 06:51 AM
yeah they fly over my house all the time i live out side of washington d.c. on the southern maryland side
that's most likely the F-22 Raptor i love those jets

F-16Guy
09-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
If the twin tails were straight up, it was the F-15 Eagle. ;)
X2. If they looked very dark grey or black, they were E models. F-15's are almost exclusively air superiority, while F-16's are used for CAS (close air support for troops on the ground) and light to medium bombing. The F-22 will replace the F-15 for the air superiority mission, while the F-35, which is just coming on line, will replace the F-16, F-18, and AV-8B as a multi-roll fighter.

dns1764
09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
up in nh jets always fly over two ski mountains. it looks sick from the charilifts. there is a base in vt. theyre always doing some sort of training

grassman
09-22-2009, 08:11 AM
my property borders a nuclear power plant that has about 17000 acres.... they use the area for Apache training... ive had them hovering over my house shaking the pictures on the wall..... it is fun when they chase us around on the quads.. we figure its fun for them because it gives them a chance to use the heat seeking equipment and they usually follow us around turning off their lights and hiding behind trees... we have seen them come within a hundred feet and wave at us... its fun but a little unnerving when you wake up at 2am and your pictures are rattling against the wall.....

CannondaleRider
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
My house sits right on a corridor between Luke AFB, and a weapons training grounds near Gila Bend, so I always have dual F-16's goin' over my place. Nearly an everyday occurance. Not quite as much as it once was though. I remember the days when there was no governing on breaking the sound barrier over land. Everyday, every single day, I would have jets breaking the sound barrier near my house. Cool experience.

My old house, and my work, sits on another corridor from California, to I'm guessing Texas. Once a week, you get about 8 Air-Force helicopters cruisin' over. Anything from Blackhawks, to Apaches, to Chinooks...Or a massive mix of all. Also a very cool experience.

These corridors cross paths actually, once saw a line of helicopters, with four F-16's a couple thousand feet above them. That's something you can't help but be proud to be an american seeing.

F-16Guy
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM
I was at Luke from 1997 to 2006, so I've had my hands in probably every F-16 you've seen fly over. I love 'em. I bought a house just NE of the runway, so I could sit in my back yard on the hammock with a cold beer and watch them on short final. I never got tired of it.

You may see more or less traffic depending on the time of year. In summer, they generally take off to the south and fly a pretty direct path to Goldwater Range. In winter, the wind changes directions, so they take off to the north and take a more westerly route.

Gila Bend is the auxilary field for Luke. They generally don't land there unless they have a problem. We used to love packing up the truck and doing a day trip to Gila Bend. It may be closed now, but the A&W there has great food, and they serve ostrich burgers!